Poor UK Ticket Sales and Future Musical Direction

JamesA

I just wondered what people thought the reasons where for the poor ticket sales this time round (my perception granted)? In 2010 they packed out Wembley twice and LCC cricket ground in Manchester with no bother, but this time it looked as if there was a lot of empty seats at the Emirates, they had to scale back the Ricoh to half the stadium and it looked 2/3rds full at best so probably not many more than at a standard indoor arena show and a few days before Manchester there are still loads of tickets for sale in all categories.

I know there was a debate when they went on sale as to the timing of the announcement and possibly exam time for some, but I think there has got to be more to it.

Its not like they aren't in the general media much, what with official Olympic songs, closing ceremony gig, The Brits and celebrity other halfs !

Do you think it will cause them to look at their musical direction - I know no artist should be doing things for the money but it must have an effect if you think your popularity is on the wane?

Rock acts don't sell out stadiums anymore. Muse havent done it this year, Green Day didnt do it in 2010 - I think it's becoming more and more common that consumers are more reluctant to buy tickets due to ever increasing prices and additional fees

Maybe your right - what would describe Coldplay as? Not Rock per se, but not pop either...

I wonder how U2 would fare at present - I might get shot down for saying this but they are probably the closest equivalent to Muse at the moment if you think of spectacle, songs with melodic rousing choruses etc.

Rock acts don't sell out stadiums anymore. Muse havent done it this year, Green Day didnt do it in 2010 - I think it's becoming more and more common that consumers are more reluctant to buy tickets due to ever increasing prices and additional fees

The Killers haven't managed it either and neither have Green Day this year, and they're only doing one date each.

Maybe your right - what would describe Coldplay as? Not Rock per se, but not pop either...

I wonder how U2 would fare at present - I might get shot down for saying this but they are probably the closest equivalent to Muse at the moment if you think of spectacle, songs with melodic rousing choruses etc.

U2 played 2 nights at Wembley in 2009 and sold them both out with ease, I think they might have set an attendance record (at least for a time) for the first night.

I think the ticket sales timing for the stadium tour was dreadful, doing it right before Christmas was not the best idea and I must admit my finances suffered buying top price tickets for the Emirates.

A lot of the Twilighters have drifted off now, most of them were never in it for the long run and The 2nd Law seems to have been Muse's most divisive album to date, there's a real love/hate divide amongst opinions. I think it's a good album, it's nowhere near the top of my list but that doesn't stop me appreciating what an amazing band they are and I will still go to see them as often as I can.

I think the sale should have gone up after Christmas to give people a chance to get a payday in and to have something to get excited about because Jan is such an awful month

But let's not forget how hard the recession has hit, lots of redundancies and people having to work extra jobs to make ends meet so expensive stadium tickets were probably seen as an unnecessary luxury.

Yeah very true. I did notice barely any empty seats at those U2 shows, and the GA was more full than when Muse played there both times. I never understood how so many shows can be classed as sold out but still have empty seats, is that all from touting?

Seems to be a lot of live acts struggling this year.

Give a search engine a roam reference poor ticket sales and you'll hit a load of news articles about various bands, artists or live TV tours postponing and even cancelling dates with the blame placed on sales below expectations.

Been an expensive year for everyone I think :)