Ableton MIDI CC/Program Change

StandYourGround

Was wondering if any of you guys have got Ableton to play midi information that isnt just note on, note off info. I know that program changes are possible when changing clips/scenes but if I imported a midi file from pro tools with cc info for say a guitar pedal or hardware synth, would the info carry over or just the note information? I know you can't add or edit any midi information within ableton other than note on/off, velocity, etc. So thats why I'm interested to see if it'll even play it.

Want to run backing tracks with MIDI triggering effects units, lighting etc within ableton because of its interface. Reordering sets etc is just so much easier in ableton.

I kinda get what you mean, but just to be sure, are you looking for some sort of way of having midi tracks that each note does not just go on-off for a brief second, but rather goes on-----------off, for a specified length of time, and for a specific note?

If that is the case, in ableton just go insert new midi track, create a clip, and that's it.

I kinda get what you mean, but just to be sure, are you looking for some sort of way of having midi tracks that each note does not just go on-off for a brief second, but rather goes on-----------off, for a specified length of time, and for a specific note?

If that is the case, in ableton just go insert new midi track, create a clip, and that's it.

No, no. What i want to do is run backing tracks/clicks tracks from ableton alongside midi tracks that are sending out MIDI program changes and CC messages to bits of gear. Controlling them in time with backing track. The backing track/click track and midi messages all being contained within one scene.

No, no. What i want to do is run backing tracks/clicks tracks from ableton alongside midi tracks that are sending out MIDI program changes and CC messages to bits of gear. Controlling them in time with backing track. The backing track/click track and midi messages all being contained within one scene.

So for example if you were playing Stockholm Syndrome you want your scene to synchronize everything so that the phwoosh sounds play from the backing track, but at the same time the visuals change and smoke starts blasting out your linked smoking machines?

So for example if you were playing Stockholm Syndrome you want your scene to synchronize everything so that the phwoosh sounds play from the backing track, but at the same time the visuals change and smoke starts blasting out your linked smoking machines?

Well yeah. I was thinking more along the lines of triggering my pedals for me but the grander plans will come in time hahaha

I've done all this and yes you can edit CC stuff in ableton!

We were playing hardware synths from within ableton and had all my guitar patch changes sync'd (so cool fyi) and the lights via a midi->DMX converter.

Where do you edit the CC/program change stuff in ableton then? I cant seem to find the part. Remember each scene for us is equal to one who song. We've not got like intro/verse/chorus/middle8 scenes.

Where do you edit the CC/program change stuff in ableton then? I cant seem to find the part. Remember each scene for us is equal to one who song. We've not got like intro/verse/chorus/middle8 scenes.

It's in the clip edit window thing, you select an expression (ie cc) channel. I haven't got ableton here but I'll check when I get home.

It's in the clip edit window thing, you select an expression (ie cc) channel. I haven't got ableton here but I'll check when I get home.

Usually in a DAW its in the little section where it shows your note velocity info, then you select the different types of messages from a drop down menu. Cant seem to find this in ableton.

• 2 weeks later...

@op: i created a program to use for this reason with my band a while ago in max/msp, it runs click track / audio backing and plays as many tracks of midi you associate with a song together. i built in some support for setlists too as we used it for live stuff. I'd post a link, but doesnt look like its on this computer. definitely look into max if you're thinking of doing the whole programmatic midi change thing... i hear the new version of ableton live comes with max as standard, but havent really kept up with the scene recently.

@op: i created a program to use for this reason with my band a while ago in max/msp, it runs click track / audio backing and plays as many tracks of midi you associate with a song together. i built in some support for setlists too as we used it for live stuff. I'd post a link, but doesnt look like its on this computer. definitely look into max if you're thinking of doing the whole programmatic midi change thing... i hear the new version of ableton live comes with max as standard, but havent really kept up with the scene recently.

Cheers for the heads up! I'll check it out. No idea where to even start however aha

You don't need max to do all that though, ableton will do it as part of it's standard functions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Set up a MIDI channel.

In the MIDI channel put an External Instrument in it (Don't use the normal I/O options as this can cause latency/timing issues) and set it to the correct MIDI output and channel (No need to worry about an audio input).

Create a clip.

Go to the bottom left hand corner of the screen and there will a L, note, E... Click the E.

On the new screen that appears next to where you clicked E, there will be too menus. One defaulting to MIDI CTRL and the other Pitch Bend, use the Pitch Bend menu to pick the relevant CC number you wish to control.

Bit of an addition. If you want to be accurate with what you draw in, right-click to choose the size of the grid and press ctrl/cmd-B and you can draw in the automation accurately. To get fades and stuff, just delete the points until you get what you want.

Oh and:

You don't need max to do all that though, ableton will do it as part of it's standard functions.

This. Ableton plays back all MIDI information, not just note on/off and it all can be programmed in. No idea where the threadstarter got the idea from it was only notes?

Don't quite get the bit about external instrument?

And I get how to control the expression/treadle position using CC11, can do that no problem. Still stuck on turning the effect on and off (on whammy 4 that was CC0 which I can't see on Ablolton, but then don't even know if it's the same with whammy 5) and still stuck on changing the actual whammy mode. The manual talks about MIDI Program Change # but I have no idea

Try pitch bend or channel pressure from that menu for CC0.

Forgot the Whammy used programme changes!

In the Notes box (The box named "Notes", not where you input them), there'll be a menu for Programme, select one from there.

I guess you'll have to set up different MIDI clip for each programme change.

Regarding External Instrument. Some users experience latency & timing issues when using the I/O options for using hardware.

I've never found Ableton confusing.

But I guess most people these days have only used linear DAWs rather than hardware MIDI sequencers, which have similarities.

If you're struggling to get going with it, try the lessons and also there are plenty of videos on Youtube as well. But it is a very open ended programme compared to other DAWs, so good to have a clear idea of what you want to do with it first, then go from there.

Archived