I don't know.. Is he a bad producer? :D I don't really know him.^^

Wouldn't say he's bad, he worked on many successful artists and albums... But let's say I don't really dig the sound of those albums.

But afterall, Muse have already written the tracks, and can't see a producer (albeit a "big" one like him) changing that much.

Honestly I'm just glad they're working with a producer again, that hopefully means the record won't be all over the place like TR and T2L. But did it have to be this guy? *sigh*

Basically this.

Honestly I'm just glad they're working with a producer again, that hopefully means the record won't be all over the place like TR and T2L. But did it have to be this guy? *sigh*

Well, I think someone who worked with both AC/DC and Gaga fits them well. I really hope the next album will be more cohesive than their self-produced ones.

I still don't know where this "working with producer = cohesiveness" comes from... Is it realistic to assume just because they have a producer this time, that Matt just happened to write more songs than for the last few albums, to pick ones that "match?"

Or if they had a producer for T2L, they would somehow have drastically altered the genres of those songs to fit together?

Maybe I'm really misunderstanding the role of a producer, but I don't think so.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how much the producer actually matters. Given that they've produced the previous two albums themselves and written the current album already, is it likely that he'd even have that much influence over the direction of the current album?

Who says they only got him on board now? Maybe he was involved with this album from the start?

Well, he's not co-writing anything here, because we know Matt had already written everything a while ago, and he's not coaching a boy band... so I'm assuming he's there to help with the mixing and mastering, and all that sort of jazz.

Who says they only got him on board now? Maybe he was involved with this album from the start?

It seems far more likely that it was announced now, after the first recording session, because he's going to be involved with finalizing the album, and not that he was involved from the get go, influenced Matt's compositions, and they kept it quiet until now.

This man produced everything Nirvana tried to strangle in the early nineties. Way to be raw.

Nirvana were quite happy to let Andy Wallace make Nevermind palatable for a wide audience.

People get their knickers in a twist over rawness way too much. Lots of my favourite heavy albums have a fair amount of polish.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how much the producer actually matters. Given that they've produced the previous two albums themselves and written the current album already, is it likely that he'd even have that much influence over the direction of the current album?

Indeed. If most of it has been written already, his influence will be seriously limited. Muse have already made their intentions fairly clear, I find it hard to see him seriously taking against that and trying to make them do something different.

I still don't know where this "working with producer = cohesiveness" comes from... Is it realistic to assume just because they have a producer this time, that Matt just happened to write more songs than for the last few albums, to pick ones that "match?"

Or if they had a producer for T2L, they would somehow have drastically altered the genres of those songs to fit together?

Maybe I'm really misunderstanding the role of a producer, but I don't think so.

It's not just because a producer is there, but given the discography of that guy, it's safe to assume there won't be 12 genres for 12 songs on this one (which ties in with what they've been saying for a while).

so I'm assuming he's there to help with the mixing and mastering, and all that sort of jazz.

It's too early for mixing and mastering, and why would they announce who mixes/masters it. So no.

So, you think if Matt wrote a mixed bag of in cohesiveness for this album again, he's going to be sent home to redo it by a producer? Because that seems to be the general feeling of the "producer = cohesiveness" crowd, and it doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't mean they're mixing it now, but they probably would have to book a big guy in advance, wouldn't they?

And my honest guess would be they announced it right now for attention, and it's working.

Archived