james90

here's a sloppy recording i just did

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/crystallettuce/plexi-clone[/soundcloud]

MFC-2 blue glitter > super lead clone > attenuator > isolation cabinet with 100 watt greenback style speaker.

the attenuator is set on the loudest setting, but was still lowering the volume by a noticeable amount. it still alters the sound a little as well, but not too much...

amp had the volume at 11 o clock, all EQ controls dimed (except bass, which was pretty much all the way down)

still not 100% satisfied with the sound, but it's a lot better than before

Go off axis and away from the dust cap of the speaker.

Here is a quick clip I recorded using my Teal Suhr, Guytron B channel, and a V30 loaded Mesa 2X12. Getting away from the cap and going off axis looses the fizz and ads depth to the sound.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud] Edited by Impulse 101

nice, have you got it setup properly? how is it?

Still tweaking it. It's an awkward bridge to get the saddles nice and low on and as I haven't played much in ages my fingers are struggling with the .10-.52 strings. I might put something lighter on for a bit until my hands get used to playing again.

Jim, reversed controls are confusing but more practical with the Bigsby. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Still tweaking it. It's an awkward bridge to get the saddles nice and low on and as I haven't played much in ages my fingers are struggling with the .10-.52 strings. I might put something lighter on for a bit until my hands get used to playing again.

Jim, reversed controls are confusing but more practical with the Bigsby. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Is that the gauge it came with? I like the 52 for drop tuning, but the heavier A and D strings have too much tension in my opinion. at least on a 25.5" scale guitar.

how do you like the sound anyway?

Yeah that was my request as that's what I've been used to in the past. I have it in Eb anyway.

Yeah it sounds good, haven't really given it a good playing yet as I've been spending more time messing about trying to get it set up right as well as getting things ready for posting tomorrow. Struggling to get the action down to where it should be. Thinking the neck might need a slight shim. Because of the design of the bridge, if you put the saddles too low then the string doesn't sit in the saddle and it just rattles.

Initial impressions is lovely, typical tele cleans. Nice and punchy with some light gain and actually gets nice and meaty with more gain.

Yeah I think it's going to be great once I iron out all the little kinks.

Not sure if either the saddles or nut need a little attention to help the string return to pitch. Seems to stick a little when you use the Bigsby and goes out of tune.

From a little reading it sounds like it's very common for people to shim the necks with these to get the action lower. I think I'll go that tomorrow and restring with some lighter strings for now.

I've got a new Graptech black tusq nut here. Would be nice to put that on it but I don't think I'll touch it just yet. I'll just clean and lubricate the current nut and saddles for now.

Guitar is set up now with .09-.42s and a slight shim on the neck. Overall a hell of a lot better. Wasn't too impressed with the fit of the neck pocket though...

It's playing decently now except I'm getting some choking on the 5th fret of the low E. Everywhere else seems fine.

Would a little more relief be the ticket, or does a high fret seem more likely?

Guitar is set up now with .09-.42s and a slight shim on the neck. Overall a hell of a lot better. Wasn't too impressed with the fit of the neck pocket though...

It's playing decently now except I'm getting some choking on the 5th fret of the low E. Everywhere else seems fine.

Would a little more relief be the ticket, or does a high fret seem more likely?

what's the relief like now? if you didn't adjust the truss rod since changing the string gauge, you'll probably need to loosen it

watch out when you take the neck off, though... the strings will fly right off the bigsby.

Relief adjusted and still no joy with the rattle. Everything else is good, it's playing pretty nicely now and holding tuning much better with the 9s on there. Starting to wonder if it's a issue with the E string rather than the fret as the fret looks tidy and it's all level. If I bend the A up to that same area that the E is rattling on there's no problem there either. Maybe I put a kink in the E string while I was battling with stringing up the Bigsby for the first time and that's the cause. It wasn't rattling at all with the old .52 on there.

Relief adjusted and still no joy with the rattle. Everything else is good, it's playing pretty nicely now and holding tuning much better with the 9s on there. Starting to wonder if it's a issue with the E string rather than the fret as the fret looks tidy and it's all level. If I bend the A up to that same area that the E is rattling on there's no problem there either. Maybe I put a kink in the E string while I was battling with stringing up the Bigsby for the first time and that's the cause. It wasn't rattling at all with the old .52 on there.

maybe the string is bad, but also, roughly how high is the action?

looks great :awesome:

I'm thinking the low E is around 6/64" at the minute, I can have it quite a bit lower and everything else is very playable except that 5th fret. High is about 4/64"

that's pretty much normal. i guess try replacing the string - can you actually see anything wrong with it around the 5th fret?

is there enough relief on the bass side of the neck? because sometimes one side will have more than the other.

Yeah relief looks right on to me. There does look like there could be a bit of a kink in the string right on that fret but it could easily be my imagination. I'll have get another set of strings and switch it out. Frustrating though...

I shimmed the neck yesterday, wondering if I did too much. Before it was flat and you literally couldn't set the saddles low enough with the bridge flat to the base plate without the strings touching the sides of the bridge rather than the saddles. Now I've got the bridge raised up a bit and the saddles up fairly high too. Can't see this as a problem though, can you? Intonation is good.

Yeah relief looks right on to me. There does look like there could be a bit of a kink in the string right on that fret but it could easily be my imagination. I'll have get another set of strings and switch it out. Frustrating though...

I shimmed the neck yesterday, wondering if I did too much. Before it was flat and you literally couldn't set the saddles low enough with the bridge flat to the base plate without the strings touching the sides of the bridge rather than the saddles. Now I've got the bridge raised up a bit and the saddles up fairly high too. Can't see this as a problem though, can you? Intonation is good.

nah it shouldn't be a problem. I couldn't get the action how I wanted on one of my guitars with the bridge flat against the body, so I had a shim added, and now the bridge is set a fair bit higher, yet the action is a bit lower.

this was with a really thin shim - about the thickness of two pieces of paper.

Try replacing the string next. I've ruined a few strings (especially the wound ones) when taking the neck off to adjust...and sometimes you don't get it right the first time and have to do it all over again :facepalm: