james90

They'll pay $25k for a 1954 Les Paul Goldtop or $1,000,000 for a 1959 Les Paul Standard because they're historic and sound amazing, but $15k for a CBS-era Strat just isn't gonna happen.

In the 90s you couldn't give away a CBS fender, now you have to pay 2K for them.

In the 90s you couldn't give away a CBS fender, now you have to pay 2K for them.

Trudat, but there is a ceiling to their value. Never gonna reach pre-CBS prices. As for the prices of everything going up relatively (ie a '62 Strat that's $25k will cost $50k in 10 years, therefore a '75 Strat that's worth $3k today will be worth $6k in 10 years) I really don't think it's going to happen--IMO, the ridiculous prices on the vintage market are going to be coming to an end in the near future. That, or I'm totally wrong and the world will throw off it's economic funk and everything will be '50s again :awesome:

There are many factors that effect vintage guitar price, mostly things that haven't even happened yet. When Gibson bought out the fireturd X the prices of slightly older Gibsons rocketed. You can say there is a cap on potential prices but look at '59 Les Paul, half a million for a guitar :eek: If Fender follow Gibson down the robotic guitar area (which is doubtful since Fender tend to do the opposite of Gibson) then prices for even CBS era instruments will rocket. That being said Fender could also have a golden age or start using Nitro again, both of which would cause CBS era strats to decline in value.

Hate to burst your bubble, but a '75 probably won't ever appreciate that much. I'd hang onto it for now because the vintage market is pretty deflated at the moment, once the economy starts revving back up it might be worth around $5k. Still a nice return, depending on what you paid for it.

We've already had dedicated guitarists and dealers and collectors alike tell us this, people who have been on this earth far longer than you have, have watched and participated in the guitar market since the sixties/ seventies and they all gave us the value and explained their appreciation, they even said our asking price was very reasonable and a few even said they have very rarely seen a guitar (that has been played all it's life) of this age in such perfect condition, so thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by Slinkie

God Jim is being torn a new one on these forums lately. Odd considering all he did is make an opinion on his experiences with vintage gear. Maybe he doesn't have the age or the manner to present him self less aggressively (if you think it was put in that way) but from what I have seen, at least Jim has done a lot of work to find that information from others just like you have as well.

If he has offered you repeated or skewed advice, fine but I don't think he deserved that reception from you especially when you are the one selling the gear, not him.

On topic a bit more, I would take that guitar if I had the money. It looks lovely. I also think the price is fine IMO and would keep it ar that and see how it goes.

Edited by Crowella

Oh you guys. I thanked him for his opinion and informed him of my own and the fact I disagreed with him, the way he says things is very antagonistic and people would not react the way they do to his posts if he chose different ways of saying things.

Edited by Slinkie

There's always James

I already have one :(

Thats why I said 90%

I figured you picked that number for a reason

We've already had dedicated guitarists and dealers and collectors alike tell us this, people who have been on this earth far longer than you have, have watched and participated in the guitar market since the sixties/ seventies and they all gave us the value and explained their appreciation, they even said our asking price was very reasonable and a few even said they very rareley seen a guitar ( that has been played all it's life) of this age in such perfect condition, so thanks, but no thanks.

I'm not one to give an opinion about this sort of thing, but in 10-15 years, it could very well be worth what you say. They might not be as sought after as the early 60's ones, but still, I could see them going up in value a fair bit. They have been in the past few years. £1975 is a very fair price either way.

And Jim, CBS era is post 1965. Fenders from the late 60's are going for well over $10,000 now.

You think you're old? I remember when muse were good!

I didn't say it was un - bitchy. If you want to go down this road you'll be going alone, I have no desire to argue with anyone.

If you didn't want to argue, you wouldn't post bitchy comments

I remember when we used to discuss the most effective method of removing the screen from a Kaoss pad and putting it in a Squier.

How far we have come.

Those days are returning, new album=Fresh Meat/Twisty Kaoss Pads.

You think you're old? I remember when muse were good!

I have two possible responses to this and can't decide which I prefer, so I'll give you them both and you can choose your favourite.

1) Like they ever were.

2) This from the guy who has yet to hear their most recent album.

And also bonus response,

3) Your mother.

2) This from the guy who has yet to hear their most recent album.

I like this one. It fills me with a certain pride in my musical integrity. I've yet to come accross anyone who could match me in sheer snobbishness. I'd say musical snub-for-snub I am the best there is

I like this one. It fills me with a certain pride in my musical integrity. I've yet to come accross anyone who could match me in sheer snobbishness. I'd say musical snub-for-snub I am the best there is

Have you listened to The Resistance and BH&R yet? :LOL:

A bit inside of me approves this snobbishness :LOL:

We've already had dedicated guitarists and dealers and collectors alike tell us this, people who have been on this earth far longer than you have, have watched and participated in the guitar market since the sixties/ seventies and they all gave us the value and explained their appreciation, they even said our asking price was very reasonable and a few even said they have very rarely seen a guitar (that has been played all it's life) of this age in such perfect condition, so thanks, but no thanks.

Oh you guys. I thanked him for his opinion and informed him of my own and the fact I disagreed with him, the way he says things is very antagonistic and people would not react the way they do to his posts if he chose different ways of saying things.

You must be a really great salesperson in real life, do you work at a shop?

Hate to burst your bubble, but a '75 probably won't ever appreciate that much. I'd hang onto it for now because the vintage market is pretty deflated at the moment, once the economy starts revving back up it might be worth around $5k. Still a nice return, depending on what you paid for it.

There's nothing antagonistic about this post; yours on the other hand was pretty rude and dismissive, especially seeing as you don't know anything about me or my experience with vintage guitars aside from the fact that I don't like CBS-era Fenders as much as pre-CBS Fenders.

And Jim, CBS era is post 1965. Fenders from the late 60's are going for well over $10,000 now.

Right, I should've clarified I meant '70s Fenders. I should also clarify that they're not bad guitars: I've played some '70s Strats and a late '65 Jaguar that blew me away.

Edited by JimboMansonMB-1