james90

mmmmm..... yummy!!!

I do like those PTP wiring! I'm tempted to do that for a boost, with a 12AX7 and a Nixie SMPS. I think the dickinson stuff is PTP too, but i'm really curious as to the way they do their power supply.

It's on a turret board :ninja:

Are you still going to build that crazy pedal you mentioned a while back? can't remember what it was called or what it did BUT IT HAD REAL TUBES

Also, not the D1, but here's the P1

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/298799_166020873492869_165885413506415_312150_1157564442_n.jpg

more here

It looks like you're using the LS-2 to blend everything except the wah? Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me

Also have you heard of the SFX Thumpinator? You have a lack of more precise EQ so this device would give you a real boost in headroom

It's simply so that the wah is available to me at all times. Don't have to switch to the loop just to use the wah. I figured the way in which the wah activates lends itself to being outside the loop.

As for the SFX Thumpinator, I can't say I've heard of it. Just been doing some reading, though, and it seems like quite a decent little item! I'm just trying to EQ my amp so that it's nice and clicky, whilst also still fairly Bassy. That's as good as I've got it so far, after some cheeky Internet research.

It's on a turret board :ninja:

Are you still going to build that crazy pedal you mentioned a while back? can't remember what it was called or what it did BUT IT HAD REAL TUBES

Also, not the D1, but here's the P1

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/298799_166020873492869_165885413506415_312150_1157564442_n.jpg

more here

Wow... Dickinson never fail to impress me. Firstly, at how well laid out that is. You can see how much they manage to fit into a relatively small box. That's essentially a full tube preamp, including the powersupply, in a box. The wiring is considerably neat too, and you can see that they obviously take an extremely high level of care, using heavy wire for connections.

As for that pedal, yes, I still intend to build it. It'll have a single 12AX7 tube (I'll probably do another version with 2 of them) and it'll run ~100V to the tube. There's a few 12AX7 pedals out there that run a "starved plate" design, where the tube only gets 9-12V, but that doesn't really allow it to even get going. If you ever see the curve characteristics for a 12AX7, 12V is desperately low. 100V is probably just below half way, but it's more than enough to get it going. My old favourite, the silvertone 1485 gives it's tubes 100V, so I figure you could get a really great vintage tone out of it. The biggest difference will be that mine will run on a Nixie SMPS. So, unlike a transformer, mine will take your normal 9V boss power adaptor, which will go straight into the SMPS. That'll bring the voltage up to 100V. Then in terms of size, the SMPS has roughly the same footprint as one of those transformers, maybe even smaller, but it's no higher than a small capacitor.

Christ Bs thats some setup. Do you pay for your own electric by any chance? no? something to look forward to then! :p

And we are obligated to get covers/jams from you now.

That sigma acoustic is nice, hope it sounds well, and i definetly didnt think that was a crack in the side when i first looked at the pic.

That sigma acoustic is nice, hope it sounds well, and i definetly didnt think that was a crack in the side when i first looked at the pic.

Are you Larry's twin? :p

And yeah, it does sound nice. I dont particularly like acoustics, but this one's alright, it'll be fun to try out soe new stuff.

...it's an unusual approach, but then, most people tend to settle for less effects than that, and I didn't want them all linked together from the same power supply in case something happened.

I have quite a few more pedals than that, and I generally power most of them from my Godlyke powerall on a daisy chain. Then I have a couple of high consumption pedals on another PSU/daisy chain, and I have my XP-100 on it's own PSU because it needs 18V (or 12V or whatever). It's extremely noisey, and I assumed replacing the Godlyke with 25 individual PSUs would make that worse, but maybe not.

Obviously when you're gigging with 25 pedals it's not practical to have 25PSUs unless you have a roady

It's simply so that the wah is available to me at all times. Don't have to switch to the loop just to use the wah. I figured the way in which the wah activates lends itself to being outside the loop.

So you're not using the LS-2 to blend, you're using it as a loop switcher?

Christ Bs thats some setup. Do you pay for your own electric by any chance? no? something to look forward to then! :p

And we are obligated to get covers/jams from you now.

Not yet, haha! I tend to only play a few hours every few days at the moment anyway, but yeah, that could easily increase when I have a bit more spare time. The amp's Class A too, so it wastes quite a bit of electricity whenever I'm not playing a note. Can't be helped though. I'll get some videos or something done in the summer when I should have some more free time.

I have quite a few more pedals than that, and I generally power most of them from my Godlyke powerall on a daisy chain. Then I have a couple of high consumption pedals on another PSU/daisy chain, and I have my XP-100 on it's own PSU because it needs 18V (or 12V or whatever). It's extremely noisey, and I assumed replacing the Godlyke with 25 individual PSUs would make that worse, but maybe not.

Obviously when you're gigging with 25 pedals it's not practical to have 25PSUs unless you have a roady

Yeah, that's fair enough really. From what I read when I was trying to find out about it, daisy chaining the power supply to pedals was generally what would cause more hum, so having separate power supplies solves that. I mean you can hear the electrical buzz if you put your ear down near where the power supplies are, but that's to be expected really, and you know, even the fan on the amp's louder than that, haha! No hum through the pedals or amp or anything though. The Fuzz Factory might pick it up as background noise on high drive settings, but I don't know. It makes loads of background noise then anyway, so it's no more noticeable than it would be without it.

interesting, I thought sharing a ground with a daisy chain would make the power cleaner

I need something like a t-rex fuel tank

I highly recommend it, although keep in mind it only supplies 1500 mA in total:

• eight 9-volt DC output plugs, all sharing the same ground. Giving a total of 500 mA

• one 12-volt DC output with isolated ground, giving 500 mA

• one 12-volt AC output with isolated ground, giving 500 mA

So you're not using the LS-2 to blend, you're using it as a loop switcher?

Aye. I like to use multiple effects at the same time (especially the ODB-3 and Big Muff), so I use the Line Selector to switch between the clean signal and effects without having to scramble to turn each effect off.

Suggestion. Buy a bypass pedal. Use the LS to blend your distortions. Reap the profit :D

Is a nice setup by the way, most jealous. Think that amp may be top of my list again but I found it hard to stray too much from centre EQ. Is that pic how you normally EQ it?

Edited by Crowella

both his dirt pedals have blends built in

I was thinking a blend on the whole board or just the wah and phaser.

It does double up as a power supply, plus if his setup changes in the future, the LS2 does have some versatility.

Suggestion. Buy a bypass pedal. Use the LS to blend your distortions. Reap the profit :D

Is a nice setup by the way, most jealous. Think that amp may be top of my list again but I found it hard to stray too much from centre EQ. Is that pic how you normally EQ it?

I can blend my distortions already, kind of. The ODB-3 has a Balance control, switching from complete Dry to complete effect. Hence I'm whacked my Fuzz in front of it, so I can retain some Fuzziness and also overdrive that.

EDIT: Just read the manual for the LS, switched it to A+B Mix -> Bypass...oh mah gaaaaaaahd. :awesome:

And yes it is. Read an article somewhere about how to setup EQ properly, and I just kind of went from there. Might need to lose some low mids (left-two sliders), but I'm otherwise quite happy.

Edited by Lick My Face

bassists...everywhere :eek:

i don't have this anymore, but I found an old pic of that pacifica I mentioned a few times

120sjxc9.jpg

120SJ. that was in 2006 i think...lasted a good while, but once my setup "evolved" it got trashed (sound familiar Bs? :ninja: )

it had BKPs and 10-13-17-36-46-60 string gauge :facepalm: just because I thought that's what matt used, but his are 10-13-17-26-36-60

this resulted in a warped neck after a while

anyhow, some hi res of non-Mansons for once

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

also uploaded some new pics to KnT flickr.