Best Album for New Fans?

beachdude42

Best Album for New Fans?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Best Album for New Fans?

• Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Other

I realize that they've changed a lot. I like all of their stuff, and I love how much variety their music has, but I think I prefer their older, more progressive stuff.I might actually like OoS better, but based on most people's advice, I'll try Absolution.

:) Do it! Get Absolution and OOS, really good albums.:)

Black Holes and Revelations is a bit more pop, so if you want a gentler way in, that would be it. If your used to rock, Absolution is probably closest, but its either really rock, or really not :p. OOS is perhaps a bit more rock, with a bunch of random stuff tossed in :) So depending on 'where you come from' sort of thing, is what I would say. Showbiz usually comes later for people who have become fans, and most people have The Resistance, so its either already the intro album, or the fact that you've heard it on the radio doesn't really give you much more new material to delve into. Not to say its a bad album, cause I really like it. Oh why are my posts to long? Don't answer, I know.

To each his own, I guess. Absolution didn't blow me away at all the first time I heard it. Took a while for me to appreciate it. And I still don't appreciate it as much as most people, though I like some songs on it a lot.

This is how I felt when I first heard it... on the brink of disappointment, because it just didn't do anything for me. Then after a while, I kind of sat down to it, and I started to 'get it'. Its one of those albums that as I'm typing here, I don't really remember it or think much of it, but when I put it on, every single time I say "What was I missing before?!" and then I forget, and then it happens over and over again. Not that bad of a thing, but its hard to justify the album as my favourite that way :) But I'd have to say I LOVE Hysteria and The Small Print.

When I play Muse for people that haven't heard them before, I always choose Black Holes And Revelations. To me, it's the easiest album to get people sucked in. So far, I've never had someone not be interested in the group after hearing it. A girl I worked with listen to nothing but Hip-Hop and when I played her "Super Massive Black Hole", she was really into it. At first she misunderstood me and thought I said the title was "Supermassive Black Hoe" :$ . After hearing the correct title and rest of the album, she had me play the songs everyday before we started working.

This is my opinion, because its the album thats most like a 'sampler'. A buffet of sorts. You like metal? They got that. More dancy? It's there too. Don't mind the world music vibe, they got that too. A U2 fan that think Muse is U2-lite? Allow them to prove you wrong. Want to see a movie flash before your eyes in song? Hell they got that too! Even if you listen to nothing but pop radio, there are a few tracks for you. The best thing is that on top of all that randomness it seems to appear as, it all blends so so well (to me), and flows totally ignorant of the genre changes.

This is how I felt when I first heard it... on the brink of disappointment, because it just didn't do anything for me. Then after a while, I kind of sat down to it, and I started to 'get it'. Its one of those albums that as I'm typing here, I don't really remember it or think much of it, but when I put it on, every single time I say "What was I missing before?!" and then I forget, and then it happens over and over again. Not that bad of a thing, but its hard to justify the album as my favourite that way :) But I'd have to say I LOVE Hysteria and The Small Print.

See, my problem with Absolution is how inconsistent the songs are. You've got awesome songs like Hysteria and Ruled by Secrecy, but they you've got Thoughts of a Dying Atheist and Endlessly, which pretty much bore me. So it basically amazes me, then lets me down, then repeats the cycle a few times. Though I do like a lot of the individual songs on it.

This is my opinion, because its the album thats most like a 'sampler'. A buffet of sorts. You like metal? They got that. More dancy? It's there too. Don't mind the world music vibe, they got that too. A U2 fan that think Muse is U2-lite? Allow them to prove you wrong. Want to see a movie flash before your eyes in song? Hell they got that too! Even if you listen to nothing but pop radio, there are a few tracks for you. The best thing is that on top of all that randomness it seems to appear as, it all blends so so well (to me), and flows totally ignorant of the genre changes.

EXACTLY my thoughts. I couldn't have said it better.

A friend of mine hates Muse. I had completely given up on him, and then I find out that he likes Exo-Politics because it's the only song by them that sounds rock.

Has he heard Stockholm Syndrome or New Born or Hysteria?

I would honestly say BH&R would be the best first album for new fans. Partly because it was my first Muse album and got me into them. Arguably you could call BH&R the "quintessential" Muse album. It seems to have the Muse from Showbiz, OoS, and Absolution all thrown together in one bowl and mixed around.

Save The Resistance for last though :LOL:

I would honestly say BH&R would be the best first album for new fans. Partly because it was my first Muse album and got me into them. Arguably you could call BH&R the "quintessential" Muse album. It seems to have the Muse from Showbiz, OoS, and Absolution all thrown together in one bowl and mixed around.

Save The Resistance for last though :LOL:

What does BH&R have from Showbiz and OoS? :p

The first muse album I listened to was black holes and revelations, and the only album of theirs that I have not listened to is the resistence. I started with black holes because supermassive black hole, knights of cydonia, and starlight really caught my attention. I probably should have started with absolution first because that is the album that turned me into a muse fan; black holes fell short in a few places for me. Then after absolution I listened to origin of symmetry which I wasn't sure about at first, but it grew on me after repeated listens. Then I listened to showbiz which I like okay, but not as much as the others.

Archived