The Independent - Muse: Nice album – shame about the concert

Riveon

To be fair, the writer may not have written the article with the diehard Muse fans who attend multiple shows and follow setlists on the internet in mind. Most people at any given Muse concert would probably have little idea what setlist to expect.

Which makes his statement pointless. Any show is unpredictable by that definition.(Since it would mean that you wouldn't have attended a single show by the band before)

I agree with you. I read the "similar sounding albums" bit and was like "WTF! Your ears need cleaning out".

Muse's last few albums have been exactly the same. Just them copying others from varying genres with little originality of their own and some dull "theme" that often has little relevance to the songs themselves, but sounds nice in interviews.

Anyway, article is complete horse shit. Plenty of bands often celebrate certain anniversaries of landmark albums for them and do it at festivals, the fact that Muse have been open about it is a good thing for everyone. I'd imagine if it had been 30 years, he'd be the first to start going on about how they should have done it sooner. :LOL:

Muse's last few albums have been exactly the same. Just them copying others from varying genres with little originality of their own and some dull "theme" that often has little relevance to the songs themselves, but sounds nice in interviews.

Anyway, article is complete horse shit. Plenty of bands often celebrate certain anniversaries of landmark albums for them and do it at festivals, the fact that Muse have been open about it is a good thing for everyone. I'd imagine if it had been 30 years, he'd be the first to start going on about how they should have done it sooner. :LOL:

I disagree. They each have distinctly different sounds imo and I can't be bothered to analyse the lyrics for similarities.

I disagree. They each have distinctly different sounds imo and I can't be bothered to analyse the lyrics for similarities.

They don't have different sounds as every song sounds so vastly different that there's no continuity to really hold each album together as a whole.

It's easy to get comfortable with something the more you listen to it. ;)

They don't have different sounds as every song sounds so vastly different that there's no continuity to really hold each album together as a whole.

But they still have different *kinds* of different songs, with influences and elements that appear on one album but not the other. Black Holes doesn't have songs with glam-rock influences like Uprising, or something like I Belong to You, or a full-on three-part symphony. The Resistance doesn't have Spanish/spaghetti western sounds that pop up in songs on Black Holes, or a quiet number like Soldier's Poem. I can see the point about the lack of cohesive sound on each album, but to say that they don't have different sounds is IMO incorrect.

But they still have different *kinds* of different songs, with influences and elements that appear on one album but not the other. Black Holes doesn't have songs with glam-rock influences like Uprising, or something like I Belong to You, or a full-on three-part symphony. The Resistance doesn't have Spanish/spaghetti western sounds that pop up in songs on Black Holes, or a quiet number like Soldier's Poem. I can see the point about the lack of cohesive sound on each album, but to say that they don't have different sounds is IMO incorrect.

My point is you could take all those songs and mix them up and nothing would feel out of place. There's no actual progression.

Exogenesis wouldn't be out of place on Absolution for starters.

My point is you could take all those songs and mix them up and nothing would feel out of place. There's no actual progression.

Exogenesis wouldn't be out of place on Absolution for starters.

I disagree again. Nothing on Black Holes or The Resistance would fit on Absolution, with the possible exception of Hoodoo and I wouldn't be surprised if it was written earlier than the rest of BH&R. Absolution is wholly less slick and more raw than the last 2 albums imo.

I disagree again. Nothing on Black Holes or The Resistance would fit on Absolution, with the possible exception of Hoodoo and I wouldn't be surprised if it was written earlier than the rest of BH&R. Absolution is wholly less slick and more raw than the last 2 albums imo.

Thats part of the problem with TR - it sounds too slick and polished. Matt's vocals lack the emotion that comes through on their earlier albums.

Absolution is wholly less slick and more raw than the last 2 albums imo.

:LOL:

That album is no less polished than the two that came after. A few more rock songs on the album doesn't instantly mean it's more raw, the general production style on that album was about absolute precision, in fact, there's more of a "raw" approach on certain songs on BH&R where microphone pre-amplifiers were left to clip and so on.

If you want to hear "raw", go listen to some Delta/Mississippi Blues or something.

To the attenders of the concerts. But what do they know?

Maybe they're cheering because they hate it.

knew you were going to say that, but unfortunately I don't know how to respond. all i know is that I and many others on this board are not FG fans. Granted, boardies make up a minority of attendees at Muse concerts, but I just don't like it. that was more what I meant.

knew you were going to say that, but unfortunately I don't know how to respond. all i know is that I and many others on this board are not FG fans. Granted, boardies make up a minority of attendees at Muse concerts, but I just don't like it. that was more what I meant.

"Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

"er, according to who? not many people on THESE boards."

"I just don't like it. that was more what I meant"

Yeah, makes sense.

:LOL:

That album is no less polished than the two that came after.

When I say slick I don't mean smooth/professional/well-executed. I mean more commercial and less 'from the heart'. Absolution and earlier albums include songs that seem more heartfelt and are more stirring than BH&R and TR.

It is a live favourite but it's not a fan favourite, if by fan you mean people who know all their songs, not casuals who just know the singles. FG has always got a massive cheer when I've seen it live. A large chunk of the audience will go along to the gig hoping to hear it.

"Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

"er, according to who? not many people on THESE boards."

"I just don't like it. that was more what I meant"

Yeah, makes sense.

oh for the love of god. I said "er according to who?" and etc. in response to what YOU said about it being a live favorite. I still meant in my original message that It was NOT a live favorite of mine.

When I say slick I don't mean smooth/professional/well-executed. I mean more commercial and less 'from the heart'. Absolution and earlier albums include songs that seem more heartfelt and are more stirring than BH&R and TR.

Absolution was a massive commercial success, so therefore it's sound is commercial.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who wants to start going on about how Muse aren't commercial (It's from the same year as Absolution):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qryvNG5QQc

oh for the love of god. I said "er according to who?" and etc. in response to what YOU said about it being a live favorite. I still meant in my original message that It was NOT a live favorite of mine.

I know you did, how does that change the point? If you were only talking about yourself, it seems a bit odd that you would question my statement about it being a live favourite.

And "Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" is still a statement that doesn't make any sense in the context it was used.

I know you did, how does that change the point? If you were only talking about yourself, it seems a bit odd that you would question my statement about it being a live favourite.

And "Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" is still a statement that doesn't make any sense in the context it was used.

I questioned if many people on the boards liked it live, I didn't make any generalizations about other non-boardies.

the context was "Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....I hate it live."

I questioned if many people on the boards liked it live, I didn't make any generalizations about other non-boardies.

the context was "Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....I hate it live."

But who said anything about the people on the board to begin with? The discussion was about being a live favourite, and that obviously refers to the people attending Muse live. The majority of the crowd loves Feeling Good.

"Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....I hate it live."

Does that mean you haven't realised until now that it was?

But who said anything about the people on the board to begin with? The discussion was about being a live favourite, and that obviously refers to the people attending Muse live. The majority of the crowd loves Feeling Good.

"Feeling Good? Live favorite? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....I hate it live."

Does that mean you haven't realised until now that it was?

I did when i said "er, according to who?" there was no discussion until I made the first post about me not liking it live.

what do you mean? that it was a live favorite? no, i realized that to some people, it is. To most Musers, no.

I did when i said "er, according to who?" there was no discussion until I made the first post about me not liking it live.

what do you mean? that it was a live favorite? no, i realized that to some people, it is. To most Musers, no.

:facepalm:

Yes exactly, you did. I still don't get what could possibly have made you question my statement about it being a live favourite instead of just saying "I mean a live favourite for me"

To most musers? You do realise that most musers aren't even members of this board? How did you collect these facts?

Archived