Is Matt a Good Leader?

bruce57

So I am writing a report on a great leader for school. Naturally, Matt was the first person who sprung to mind. :) But, I need to find out: does he really use his power of influence to make changes? What do you think? So far, I've been thinking about how a lot of the song lyrics he's written have called for the people to make a change. here's what I've got:

Time is Running Out (what the title says....weak i know)

B&H (best, you've got to be the best, you've got to change the world)

Take a Bow (you'll buuuuuuuuuuurn in helllllllll for your siiiiiiiiiiiiiins)

Soldier's Poem (anti-war)

Invincible (stand up for what you believe)

Assassin (the whole song )

Exo-Politics (the questioning leadership part, not the zetas part )

Knights of Cydonia (no ones gonna take me alive... etc.)

Uprising (obviously)

Resistance (1984!!! )

USoE (maybe..... might be a little too "out there")

MK Ultra (gov't control)

so what do you all think? is he a leader? It might turn out that he isn't, at all, but it's worth a shot. cheers :)

He likes the "us/me versus them" theme, and it works good with a crowd. He likes conspiracy theories and he has lately been addressing more real events with songs like Uprising, but he isn't exactly leading an uprising himself, even if the songs seem to inspire a lot of people.

Just my tired thoughts, not sure if I answered any questions.

In the music world he is, because how many other popular bands are actually bothering to bring these issues to attention? I'd applaud him on raising peoples awareness, and getting the information out there (sort of). If the world collapsed, not sure he would lead a mass of people or anything, but he's be a supporter I'm sure. I think if you shift your definition of a leader (or simply the methods used in leading, what they're leading), you'd have a strong argument.

I think in the music world, certainly.

As for politically, which I think you are referring to, I don't think he's trying to lead. I think he's attempting to reflect things that are going on in the world in the music, and, as he appeared to indicate in the interview the other day, he is inspired by the strength of people to make change and I think he captures that in the music but I don't think it is about him, Matthew Bellamy, being a leader. If it was it might be a little uncomfortable. :chuckle:

But he certainly might inspire people through their experience of the music to feel strong about whatever they believe. :) And possibly some of the lyrics (I'm thinking Uprising) might make people think.

I think in the music world, certainly.

As for politically, which I think you are referring to, I don't think he's trying to lead. I think he's attempting to reflect things that are going on in the world in the music, and, as he appeared to indicate in the interview the other day, he is inspired by the strength of people to make change and I think he captures that in the music but I don't think it is about him, Matthew Bellamy, being a leader. If it was it might be a little uncomfortable. :chuckle:

But he certainly might inspire people through their experience of the music to feel strong about whatever they believe. :) And possibly some of the lyrics (I'm thinking Uprising) might make people think.

This is exactly what I was going to say, and I couldn't have said it better. ;)

USoE (maybe..... might be a little too "out there")

No, I think it fits quite well. It's a metaphor, but not a particularly hard one to figure out.

Yeah, on first thoughts, he might not be a good leader, but if you look at this from a musical point of view, you could write something really good :)

So if you looked into the lyrics and just discussed how it can empower people to do things, that would work. You could also look at the way the lyrics are written and how the crowd at concerts can sing along and use that too, and how he commands the crowd in that respect.

Good luck!

I don't think he is a leader, in the sense of the word. He definitely likes to speak his mind, and share his thoughts with people who are mostly displeased with the world, want things to change etc. But I don't think he'd start a rebellion or something like that. He's a musician after all. I feel like people read into his lyrics too much, and then conclude that those lyrics are not just a song but a call for revolution. Sometimes it is just a song, and that's all it is.

I don't think he is a leader, in the sense of the word. He definitely likes to speak his mind, and share his thoughts with people who are mostly displeased with the world, want things to change etc. But I don't think he'd start a rebellion or something like that. He's a musician after all. I feel like people read into his lyrics too much, and then conclude that those lyrics are not just a song but a call for revolution. Sometimes it is just a song, and that's all it is.

If he was trying to change the world with his lyrics, he's doing a shitty job. There are hundreds of things that he could be doing to change things if he really wanted to.

So my conclusion is; he isn't trying to change anything, and people are just taking his lyrics way too seriously.

Agreed with most of the replies here. I just finished a uni module on Leadership and Matt isn't a very good leader.

He's a talented musician who writes really good songs but that doesn't translate into being a good leader even though many are in awe of him.

Does your study have to be of a "good leader" or is it a leadership analysis of a figure?

I certainly don't think he'd be cut out for leading the world to safety, far from it actually, but he would be our unintended choice to live our lives extended it times of angst. Sorry let me say it a little less connotatively: He would be the one who would inspire us to keep moving forward and never give up, musing us to do our best.

I was actually for a second there going to say: he would be our unintended choice to live our lives extended it times of angst. Sorry let me say it a little less connotatively: He would be the one who listens to our deepest inquisitions... you get the point.

Agreed with most of the replies here. I just finished a uni module on Leadership and Matt isn't a very good leader.

He's a talented musician who writes really good songs but that doesn't translate into being a good leader even though many are in awe of him.

Does your study have to be of a "good leader" or is it a leadership analysis of a figure?

I don't think it's quite fair to say he's not a very good leader because he's not a leader. He's not trying to be a leader. So he's had no need to outwardly display any qualities of leadership or work on being a leader.

Behind the scenes, however, I reckon he can probably be pretty astute if he wants to be and a little ruthless even, if it's important to him. Ruthless is probably the wrong word. Steely I think, firm but fair, is better. He's no pushover when it comes to Muse, I don't think. But he's also considerate I think.

There was someone in one of the books who said that he would take calls at any time of the evening or night to provide help in something to do with the music, but I can't remember who it was. It was also Matt who sorted out all the initial contracts for the band.

I haven't done anything like a whole module on leadership but I did a psychology presentation on Bass and transformational leadership at the beginning of the year (some of the evidence was pretty crap incidentally).

But the qualities of a good leader who actually could make change were suggested in basic terms to be : idealised, inspirational, showing consideration to followers/workforce, and providing challenge/intellectual stimulation. I think it is perfectly possible that Matt could fulfill that kind of role if he was put in the position to do so, but at the moment, at least on the world stage or anything huge like that, no. I think he would be better off sticking to the real stage. :D

You never know in twenty years, he might be the President of the USA! :LOL: Maybe that's where his life course is going. Can you imagine?:LOL: You don't actually need that many qualifications, just be an actor or something! You can also get away with talking crap and falling off your bike and stuff! :LOL: (Actually I think we could safely say that Matt would be a huge improvement on the latter mentioned appointment and probably also the former). You can also be a terrible public speaker or have no charisma at all and become the leader of the Labour Party! :D Or be a good public speaker but then fuck everyone over and be the leader of the Lib Dem party. :D

BTW the above paragraph was largely a joke! :D

He's definitely not openly a leader. He's said things along that line himself.

Lyric-wise, he aims more for inspiration than leadership.

He has said numerous times that he doesn't like the idea of "telling his fans what to do", that he'd rather present different concepts and ideas and let the fans decide for themselves.

Maybe you could somehow link that up with the concept of leadership?

something like..

"Bellamy is not the usual leader. He does not even believe himself to be one. Instead, he presents his fans and anyone else who will listen with his ideas and concepts and leaves them to decide for themselves as to whether he is right or not. This is quite a subtle form of leadership, and one that is quite admirable. Bellamy allows his fans "freedom of thought", and does not openly encourage his fans to follow his example or morals."

I just wrote that off the top of my head... Hope it makes sense :LOL:

Yeah, on first thoughts, he might not be a good leader, but if you look at this from a musical point of view, you could write something really good :)

So if you looked into the lyrics and just discussed how it can empower people to do things, that would work. You could also look at the way the lyrics are written and how the crowd at concerts can sing along and use that too, and how he commands the crowd in that respect.

Good luck!

I love that idea!

And i'm not even writing the assignment...

"Bellamy is not the usual leader. He does not even believe himself to be one. Instead, he presents his fans and anyone else who will listen with his ideas and concepts and leaves them to decide for themselves as to whether he is right or not. This is quite a subtle form of leadership, and one that is quite admirable. Bellamy allows his fans "freedom of thought", and does not openly encourage his fans to follow his example or morals."

Then he'd make a damn good assassin. Who's with me?

He has said numerous times that he doesn't like the idea of "telling his fans what to do", that he'd rather present different concepts and ideas and let the fans decide for themselves.

something like..

"Bellamy is not the usual leader. He does not even believe himself to be one. Instead, he presents his fans and anyone else who will listen with his ideas and concepts and leaves them to decide for themselves as to whether he is right or not. This is quite a subtle form of leadership, and one that is quite admirable. Bellamy allows his fans "freedom of thought", and does not openly encourage his fans to follow his example or morals."I just wrote that off the top of my head...

Hope it makes sense :LOL:

In other words not a leader at all. A musician with some depth and interest in political issues.

I don't think you have to think big when you think of leadership, I suppose there's a tendency to think that way because their music just happens to reach so many people.

I think, as an individual, I could see Matt becoming involved in something more small scale, like youth groups that motivate young people to do something with their lives through playing music and that sort of thing still requires leadership qualities.

But I don't see him, as an individual, leading a revolution! :chuckle: I don't think he is trying to lead through the music at all. Just reflect on what is going on around him. Also quite a lot of what is in the music is fantasy as well. I think there are only a handful of songs, that are about real issues.

It's an interesting thread though.

something like..

I just wrote that off the top of my head... Hope it makes sense :LOL:

wow. I really like this. I hope you don't mind if I use this concept in my paper :LOL: I won't copy it word for word, I promise!

In other words not a leader at all. A musician with some depth and interest in political issues.

I don't think you have to think big when you think of leadership, I suppose there's a tendency to think that way because their music just happens to reach so many people.

I think, as an individual, I could see Matt becoming involved in something more small scale, like youth groups that motivate young people to do something with their lives through playing music and that sort of thing still requires leadership qualities.

But I don't see him, as an individual, leading a revolution! :chuckle: I don't think he is trying to lead through the music at all. Just reflect on what is going on around him. Also quite a lot of what is in the music is fantasy as well. I think there are only a handful of songs, that are about real issues.

It's an interesting thread though.

I'm not quite sure i follow you?

What i'm trying to say is that Matt doesn't think he is a leader, but people around him see him that way simply through what he says in interviews and songs, and what he writes in his lyrics. He doesn't force his opinion upon people, which makes people more willing to "follow" him.

I sort of like the twisted concept. He doesn't want to lead, yet that's how some people perceive his actions which therefore makes him, in the fan's eyes, a leader.

:p Still not sure if i'm making sense here.

wow. I really like this. I hope you don't mind if I use this concept in my paper :LOL: I won't copy it word for word, I promise!

Thanks!

I don't mind if you copy it, really. It's no use to me :)

And if you need any other help, just message me or something. I love writing tasks!

Archived