Tube Amps

Plex

Post shit related to tube amps here.

Hey. I have a small 15w tube amp, and I want to change the tubes to two jj 6v6s. I have NO IDEA how to do any of changing tubes or anything. I also want to change the speaker, which I don't know how to do.

Basically, I want to change the stock twin 6v6s to new ones, and change the speaker to a celestion. I already tried looking for a tutorial, but couldn't find one. Help would be much appreciated.

Apparently the tubes need to be biased as well. I'd also like some info on that. I know that hotter tubes give more gain but burn out quickly, and cooler tubes have a longer life, but have a cleaner sound. I heard someone talk about how they adjusted their tubes from 13ma to 20ma and it sounded much better. I assume "ma" is the unit for measuring the bias of tubes or something.. To be honest I really don't know. :facepalm:

Thanks. Some of you will probably be annoyed by my ignorance, but you have to learn this shit somehow.

Hey. I have a small 15w tube amp, and I want to change the tubes to two jj 6v6s. I have NO IDEA how to do any of changing tubes or anything. I also want to change the speaker, which I don't know how to do.

Basically, I want to change the stock twin 6v6s to new ones, and change the speaker to a celestion. I already tried looking for a tutorial, but couldn't find one. Help would be much appreciated.

Apparently the tubes need to be biased as well. I'd also like some info on that. I know that hotter tubes give more gain but burn out quickly, and cooler tubes have a longer life, but have a cleaner sound. I heard someone talk about how they adjusted their tubes from 13ma to 20ma and it sounded much better. I assume "ma" is the unit for measuring the bias of tubes or something.. To be honest I really don't know. :facepalm:

Thanks. Some of you will probably be annoyed by my ignorance, but you have to learn this shit somehow.

If you aren't experienced in tube amps, I reaaalllyy wouldnt try to mess with it... There's a lot that can go wrong, and if you screw up bad enough, you could kill yourself.

A speaker swap is easy enough though, just take out the old, put in the new.

You just take the old ones out of the sockets and pop the new ones in.

Given the amount of valve equipment out there, you only hear of "biasing" with valve guitar amps (Generally the consensus is to make sure you put the right type in there or one that the circuit can deal with), so I highly doubt it's massively significant apart from getting that bit extra.

Also, there's loads of bullshit about valves on the internet. I run my amp on 2 valves and never changed them in over 6 years and the amp is fine.

So should I or should I not do it myself? Someone tells me it's easy as hell, and someone says I can kill myself..

And biasing is not a problem? I saw on another forum that people do bias the amp I have. I don't think they used a mod.

Heh. I looked at this thread and thought "13 posts? Looks like I'll have plenty of info on tubes and whatnot"

And when I get here, 90% of the thread is talking Texas and New-York time zones, and staying up till 4 or 5 in the morning.

Given the amount of valve equipment out there, you only hear of "biasing" with valve guitar amps

That's because it's guitarists that are operating them.

So should I or should I not do it myself? Someone tells me it's easy as hell, and someone says I can kill myself..

And biasing is not a problem? I saw on another forum that people do bias the amp I have. I don't think they used a mod.

Heh. I looked at this thread and thought "13 posts? Looks like I'll have plenty of info on tubes and whatnot"

And when I get here, 90% of the thread is talking Texas and New-York time zones, and staying up till 4 or 5 in the morning.

What amp is it?

If the amp isn't adjustable bias like most low wattage amps are, you can probably just replace them and forget about it. Although they should be in a certain range, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

The speaker shouldn't be an issue. You probably don't want to get the two wires mixed up though.

Bottom line (for me at least) is if you're not sure, get your local shop to do it ;)

This

It's a Super Champ. Loud enough for a garage band, and quiet enough for a bedroom. Perfect.

I was thinking about selling it and getting an Egnater Tweaker, but I don't know..

And if I start playing large gigs, I have my mind set on a jcm 800 half stack, or a Diezel vh4s if Bill Gates includes me in his will..

/off topic

the super champ is adjustable bias it seems

best you can do yourself is find the rating of the current tubes (they'll probably be rated 1-10 or blue, red, or white) and get tubes that are within that range. if you already got tubes, it would probably be best to just take it to a shop and have them do it.

not familiar with the tweaker, but i've used the rebel 20...pretty versatile and it sounded great

Archived