27 members have voted

1. 1. What should I play?

• Time Is Running Out
    • Hysteria
    • Futurism
    • 21st Century
    • Dani California
    • Other (please state)

Hey guys, I wasn't sure if this should go here, but I suppose it is Muse-connected, and Banter didn't seem the right place.

Basically, I play bass, have done for three years, and (according to teachers and friends) am pretty good. Not great, but good. I have an audition next Thursday (14/9), and am really unsure as to what to play. I've narrowed it down to a few songs:

Muse - TIRO

A great song, that I can play with real feeling, and can improvise over the top. My main concern is that it could be considered 'easy'.

Muse - Hysteria

Hysteria has always been a sort of 'trump card' of mine, as it is fast and impressive to family and friends, but not too difficult to play. However, any mistake is very difficult to recover from and I often try and speed it up too much.

Muse - Futurism

A great, fairly difficult bassline that I've just learned to play. I don't have the timing down quite yet, but I'm confident I can do that in the time. Seems like it would really impress and therefore my current first choice.

RHCP - 21st Century

My current favourite song, mainly because the bassline makes me feel like a total badass. There isn't much more to it than there is at first, and it's surprisingly difficult to play. It also sounds weird without the effects (that I don't have).

RHCP - Dani California

Similar to TIRO, but probably the only one I could slap. Would probably fall into the easy category, as it never really changes.

Which of these would be the best, and if none, feel free to suggest something you think I'd like/would work. If it helps, a friend of mine played 'I Want It Back' - Jackson 5, and the kind of stuff I like (and would therefore be able to play with proper intonation and feeling) is:

Muse

U2

Coldplay

Rush

Green Day

RCHP

Metallica

AC/DC

Thanks.

Hmmm... how about one of the drum and bass jams?

Osaka Jam would be impressive. The BHaR tour version though, not the actual Osaka soundcheck version :)

Helsinki Jam is nicely structured and quite technical... though the intro and outro might seem a bit boring though, when its just the open G going "Boom Boom Boom". When it gets into it though you can rip it up in the cool fast bit before the breakdown.

MK Jam is unrelenting but a bit repetitive. It really only works so well because of the drums I think.

If not, then Hysteria :p

Okay guys, thank you very much for all of your help. I've decided to go with Hysteria, and if I have the opportunity to play a second song, Futurism.

I love that Led Zep line, but I don't think I could get that down to the state I have Hysteria (which I can do without looking at my bass, a little party trick of mine) within a week.

Archived