Any Violinists here?

DarthWenus

i always find violins sound way to screechy unless they are playing amongst a full string section. get a cello instead.

If it sounds screechy you're doing it wrong.

When I first started to play, that was a problem because I was putting way too much pressure on the strings with the bow.

If it sounds screechy you're doing it wrong.

When I first started to play, that was a problem because I was putting way too much pressure on the strings with the bow.

I dunno about that, my ex gfs sister was grade 8 and had been playing for at least 10 years. I heard her play quite a few times and it always sounded too harsh to me. Her brother plays too, although not for as long. Same deal.

I think violin, when in the right hands, sounds fantastic and I find myself drawn to it. With that being said, I'm not really interested in cello, at least not now anyways. Right now I just want to find myself a good violin to start with.

I play Viola, but it appears that not many people care for it, even though it's an amazing instrument :awesome:

I'm with you there! God, but I haven't played in weeks due to some classes, so now I really suck. It's embarrassing :$.

And to those who say that the violin sounds too "harsh", well, it's an instrument that's not going to sound completely smooth (of course, with tons of practice it can get pretty close). It's all on how the instrument works; the hairs of the bow rapidly grabs and release the strings. If you measure out the sound wave, you'll see it's all straight jagged lines, as compared to something like a flute where it's all curved.

I don't know any tips on buying a violin, but you might want to just start out with a cheap one. It might not sound fantastic, but it'll help you get the basics down.

If your violin sounds screechy, stop using metal strings. Get some gut (it'll probably be imitation, unless you spring for some high end stuff) or composite strings, and it'll mellow the sound out. Also, every violin sounds different. Some are a lot brighter than others.Also, whatever you do, do NOT over-rosin your bow. Just don't.

I'm a Violinist :p Been playing for 9 years, but I actually started really practising and enjoying it just a year ago.

You know, the same thing happened for me. I've been playing Viola for 8 years, and this year I just realized that I wanted this to be my main instrument, so I re-taught myself the instrument (this time with correct posture to make it easier, because I had no idea what I was doing). Loving it so far, I wish I could read treble clef so I could play violin also though, I'll get to that someday. Learned Shipping Down To Boston by the Dropkick Murphy's today on Viola, damn 3rd position, this is why I wish I had an E string :p

This should be the official thread for violin/viola/cello players, no? :)

What should I look for when it comes to purchasing?

I'd definitely go for a used one. I played for like 8 years or something like that and at first, I rented a brand new violin...it was rather tinny sounding. Then I bought a used violin (can't remember how much it was) and it sounded way more open. I find that violins sound better with age so look for a used one. But other than that, I'd say just try them. Or, if you can't really play yet, get a violin friend to go along with you and try them out. Get one that sounds decent and feels good because a crappy sounding, uncomfortable violin is something you're never going to want to play. Ever. Hope this helps! ;)

EDIT: Oh. And a bow. Get a decent bow. It makes a HUGE difference. :yesey:

I'd definitely go for a used one. I played for like 8 years or something like that and at first, I rented a brand new violin...it was rather tinny sounding. Then I bought a used violin (can't remember how much it was) and it sounded way more open. I find that violins sound better with age so look for a used one. But other than that, I'd say just try them. Or, if you can't really play yet, get a violin friend to go along with you and try them out. Get one that sounds decent and feels good because a crappy sounding, uncomfortable violin is something you're never going to want to play. Ever. Hope this helps! ;)

EDIT: Oh. And a bow. Get a decent bow. It makes a HUGE difference. :yesey:

Yup, and also (this is probably a given), get a shoulder rest. I've seen people start out without one, and it fucks up your posture majorly, and it's easier to play with one. I speak from experience :LOL:

Yup, and also (this is probably a given), get a shoulder rest. I've seen people start out without one, and it fucks up your posture majorly, and it's easier to play with one. I speak from experience :LOL:

Yes. Definitely. Kun Rest. Do it.

Hi. This thread caught my eye so I thought I should post here. Been playing since I was 6 years old :awesome:

hellz yeah I'm damn good :awesome: useless though, cause muse doesn't have a lot of violin parts :unsure:

Well the music world doesn't revolve around Muse :LOL:, and that's why we have brilliant songs like Exo :awesome:

And I've been getting free sheet music lately to improve, currently learning "Premiere sonate em duo" by Georg Phillip Telemann, and that's just to keep me busy atm :happy:, beautiful song

Archived