Let's get some things straight.

People understand why Muse would contribute to the Eclipse soundtrack. It's gonna get them new fans and a load of dosh.

However it's ludicrous that some Muse fans get offended that some of us aren't exactly warming to the fact that Muse have actually written a song for the blasted film, and worst still, put "Love is Forever" in the title.

This is incorrect. The song was already written. It was not written for the film at all. Did you not red the interviews about the song? The band were asked if they would contribute and they volunteered a song that already existed but wasn't fully recorded.

I'm praying the song will be good, maybe it will be (!), but the whole way Muse have gone about this automatically triggers images (or sounds, whatever) of a cheesy ballad, ala Guiding Light or maybe Starlight if we're really lucky, with a cheesy video interspersed with clips of the film.

Hopefully this is not the case. And while movie videos often have clips in the film, Muse may not have necessarily agreed too this, or if they have, there will probably be multiple edits of the video, or with clips and one without.

Maybe that's something that some fans will like, warm to or not mind, but for me it's completely anti-the rock and roll ethos that Muse used to have. For all their comments about trying to be a band that go against the flow, they seem to be evolving into a bland pop act. If I may use a stereotype just this once, [erhaps it's selfish, but I'd much rather see Muse playing riffs and being unpredictable on stage than singing shmultzy songs titled Love is Forever to 12 old girls.

[/end elitist fanboy misery guts rant]

This was never really Muse. Muse were only ever a band that did what they want to do and confronted those who wanted to compromise this (eg. the Maverick fallout). They contributed their music to advertising and compilations from the very beginning. Balloonatic was on a compilation, Sunburn was on an advert, Cave was on a film soundtrack.

As for becoming a pop act, this may be so. Their recent predictable performances are something I do not like (nor to many others here) and in the Coachella promotional booklet Muse even lie about the riffs they now play being entirely spontaneous, when they are usually not at all, only being spontaneous on the occasional gig.

Discussion.

I discussed why I'm irritated with Muse.

You responded with a roundabout way of saying "Get a grip. Shut up."

Well, thank bloody you. If I felt so enlightened by your intelligent response, I might never bother criticisng anything ever again.

Because nothing is like a kick in the nuts to the real Muse fans then to let another good album song die in shallow popularity.

As opposed to a good album song that sits around in the studio until the next major recording session, and gets modified heavily and then put on an album, by that time the band have become bored of it so it never gets played much and only ever gets listened to by a limited number of people, rather than a song released when it is fresh and given a decent run on the radio.

This is incorrect. The song was already written. It was not written for the film at all. Did you not red the interviews about the song? The band were asked if they would contribute and they volunteered a song that already existed but wasn't fully recorded.

Sorry, I essentially meant that they'd written the lead single for Eclipse, not necessarily that it was for the film.

This was never really Muse. Muse were only ever a band that did what they want to do and confronted those who wanted to compromise this (eg. the Maverick fallout). They contributed their music to advertising and compilations from the very beginning. Balloonatic was on a compilation, Sunburn was on an advert, Cave was on a film soundtrack.

I just get the impression that Muse have lost such a backbone entirely, not to mention all spontaneity. If this truly the path that Muse really want to go down then it's just not something I'll be able to embrace, that's all. =/ :(

I discussed why I'm irritated with Muse.

You responded with a roundabout way of saying "Get a rip. Shut up."

Well, thank bloody you. If I felt so enlightened by your intelligent response, I might never bother criticisng anything ever again.

I never said you couldn't criticise anything? :wtf:

The whole thread has been people repeating the sane thing over and over again. People have a negative opinion of a song they haven't heard yet. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I never said you couldn't criticise anything? :wtf:

No, you said "Lifes too short to sit around complaining."

This argument is just getting silly. If you would like to counteract my argument then fair enough but I had an opinion, and I just felt like you were just dismissing it as if it was a piece of dirt. Let's leave it at that.

EDIT:

The whole thread has been people repeating the sane thing over and over again. People have a negative opinion of a song they haven't heard yet. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If you read what I said, it was the ethos and attitude of Muse that I said I didn't like. Who said anything about criticising the song itself?

Sorry, I essentially meant that they'd written the lead single for Eclipse, not necessarily that it was for the film.

I just get the impression that Muse have lost such a backbone entirely, not to mention all spontaneity. If this truly the path that Muse really want to go down then it's just not something I'll be able to embrace, that's all. =/ :(

I do agree, somewhat anyway. While the lives shows are only rarely surprising (a few times in a tour and only occasionally in Europe), their music is becoming more diverse and unusual. People listening to OoS and Absolution would be very surprised to hear that songs like Exogenesis and even US exist, so they definitely advancing musically in a good way imo..so it begs the question why after 11 years are they still playing a cover song like Feeling Good when they have such a variety of their own writing to choose from.

But that's another discussion that's already been done.

I wonder why the position of NSC hasn't been announced yet.

No, you said "Lifes too short to sit around complaining."

This argument is just getting silly. If you would like to counteract my argument then fair enough but I had an opinion, and I just felt like you were just dismissing it as if it was a piece of dirt. Let's leave it at that.

I edited my post. I was going to write a counter argument but Im supposed to be revising for exams. I just meant that people have been repeating the same thing over and over again and they have a negative opinion of a song they haven't even heard yet. If you are willing to give up on Muse that quickly then it has nothing to do with Twilight.

I'm sorry you felt that way, I didn't mean to come accross like that. I've just been following this thread and all the important info is getting buried among the angry posts.

the exam is 2 questions:

do you like origin of symmetry? correct answer: yes.

do you like twilight?: correct answer: no.

quite a silly exam, i know.

:p

That OK then I've passed:party: Can I be a 'real' Muse fans now??:rolleyes:

The irony is ... i get some fans getting tired of the moaners/whiners/complainers (i found moaning vs. moaners sillier, tbh :=D) ... however you said such and such like "Lifes too short to sit around complaining" but you easily get bothered / complain / shutdown people/fans who have every right to complain/express their opinions in this board (THIS BOARD IS NOT JUST FOR FANBOYS!) ...

I didn't mean to cause a moaning versus moaners scenario. Apologies. It's just getting annoying Reading the same thing over and over again. I never said the board was just for fanboys.

Archived