Going back to the PIB discussion on, I vastly prefer the 2000 live versions to any others. If they'd kept in the full ending that'd be amazing. Bizarre Fest 2000 is probably one of my fave PIB performances

Out of the seven times I've seen PiB live I've never once enjoyed it, nor Uprising for that matter. The other four I've seen at every gig I've managed to enjoy at least once.

Out of the seven times I've seen PiB live I've never once enjoyed it, nor Uprising for that matter. The other four I've seen at every gig I've managed to enjoy at least once.

I enjoyed both of them the first time I saw them but I enjoyed just about everything then 'cause I was still a fairly new fan back then so anything pleased me, plus it was my first gig.

Haven't enjoyed either since though, Uprising has especially gone downhill.

HAARP is the best version of PiB live.

The vocals are too hoarse. It has the best fuzz factory intro though - just one long clean fuzz.

Also, damn that PiB demo was awesome. I woulnd't just call it better than the album version though as they are too different. The studio version is definitely the best though - that "sharpness", loudness and urgency are yet to be captured live.

The studio version is definitely the best though - that "sharpness", loudness and urgency are yet to be captured live.

Agreed.

I hate how my favourite thing about the song - the bass envelope filter sweeps - I can never actually hear live. :(

Hysteria has sounded great this tour, I hope it doesn't go anywhere.

Plug in Baby has gotten a few moans for not getting played recently from the shows I went to. When I saw them at Webster Hall there was a younger kid in line complaining that he's seen them three times and still hasn't seen PiB.

When I saw them at Webster Hall there was a younger kid in line complaining that he's seen them three times and still hasn't seen PiB.

I genuinely don't even know how that's possible, unless he went to see them during the few weeks it was dropped during the T2L Tour 'cause Matt broke his guitar. I think you'd have to be really unlucky for that to happen.

When a song's been an out-and-out staple for 15+ years, I'd say you can't really moan if the band drops it or starts to fade it out of sets. Especially when they still play pretty much all of the other hits. It's like if I went to a Radiohead gig, I wouldn't moan if they didn't play Paranoid Android 'cause I get that it's pretty old and I'm a bit late to the game, even though it's one of their most popular songs.

It's been 14 years since it was released and since then theyve released something like 5 and a half hours of new music. Of course it's going to start to fade. For me at least, its not one of those songs you wont get bored of after seeing it 10 times.

Its unrealistic (and perhaps a little unfair) to expect muse to still trot out all their ooooold old hits when theyve been realising music since that time, which is longer than some of people who can't believe its being dropped have been alive!

I'd be more pissed off if SS wasn't played and Resistance came on instead or something. PiB not being played wouldn't bother me too too much.

My boyfriend doesn't like much pre-TR Muse at all (KoC and TaB being really the only exceptions I can think of,) and he STILL bitched about no PiB at our T2L gig.

I challenged him on it, as he doesn't even like the damn song, and got the "it's a BIG hit!" answer. :noey:

I did, however, temporarily think I was going to have a brain aneurism when US started playing instead of SS...

I think we just stuck around for the encore because the bf has a boner for Survival.

Its unrealistic (and perhaps a little unfair) to expect muse to still trot out all their ooooold old hits when theyve been realising music since that time, which is longer than some of people who can't believe its being dropped have been alive!

It's WHAT hits they still trot out that are the problem, though.

We're going to see Starlight and SMBH 99% of the time until the day the band breaks up, no matter how old and tired they get - and what's becoming worse, is a lot of those songs have new counterparts that are way, WAY to similar to justify having them both (I'm looking at you, Psycho and Uprising...)

And sometimes I fantasize about jumping up on stage and slapping that harmonica out of Chris' hands...

We're going to see Starlight and SMBH 99% of the time until the day the band breaks up, no matter how old and tired they get - and what's becoming worse, is a lot of those songs have new counterparts that are way, WAY to similar to justify having them both (I'm looking at you, Psycho and Uprising...)

And sometimes I fantasize about jumping up on stage and slapping that harmonica out of Chris' hands...

Its 2015

Starshite and SMBH came out 2006

PiB cane out 2001

Why are you surprised PiB is dropped more than the former 2?

EDIT: 5 years ago I bet you any one of us would have said PiB is too big and too well known to get dropped.

I'm honestly more surprised SS has been dropped, tbh.

PiB surprises me because it remains one of the most recognizable of their old songs, even for newer fans. I think things like New Born or Sunburn showing up (sadly) is more surprising.

So yeah, I was pretty shocked to not see PiB, but iirc it turned out it was just because Matt wrecked the guitar at War Child.

But anyways, they still seem like they're more likely to drop heavier songs (SS, PiB, Hysteria was missing from a lot of T2L gigs) in favor of the lighter fare, which disappoints me personally, even though I like a lot of their newer poppy stuff, and it's sort of skewing a lot of their setlists in that direction.

I can see Starlight and Uprising fading out over time as they put out more new music tbf.

I just think that, yeah, PIB's a big hit but it's really fucking old at this point and it's been played a shit-ton. Sure, keep it around but only play it occasionally so it has that kind of nostalgic 'Awww, it's PIB' effect. They've got plenty of other big hits in Knights, Supermassive, Hysteria, TIRO, Uprising, Starlight, Madness, Resistance, Feeling Good etc. It's a bit silly to expect all of them.

Actually, can we just take a moment to appreciate that Feeling Good has pretty much fucked off at this point. I never thought I'd see the day. Proof that big hits can be dropped really.

I'm still predicting Feeling Good coming back on the US arena tour. Probably with USoE. :noey:

And Resistance every single night, with Madness, of course. The new shitty ending version. :'(

I'm not even a huge PiB fan, I just think it's sad when there isn't even a single song from OoS (or there is, and it's FG,) or Showbiz (but less so in that case...)

I'd much rather trade it for Bliss, but that's been pretty rare in the US.

It's tough to find a balance between old and new stuff when you've been around so long, but I've seen bands do a much better job of it than Muse, and even though they've managed some really great setlists lately, they've been very noticeably inconsistent.

Part of that "balance" is also the fact that Muse seem to play rather short setlists for what you would expect...

...It's tough to find a balance between old and new stuff when you've been around so long, but I've seen bands do a much better job of it than Muse, and even though they've managed some really great setlists lately, they've been very noticeably inconsistent...

Inconsistent? Is that another way of saying they shake up their setlists a lot? Really, it entirely depends on what music you like as to whether there setlists are 'inconsistent' are 'exictingly different from gig to gig and tour to tour'. You may hate FG, USoE, resistance and madness, but a lot of people probably love them. I feel like im trotting out the same arguement on a regular basis on this forum, but isn't that the point of rotating your setlists all the time like they do? To make sure all fans get a large a chunk as possible of what they want to hear? Sometimes its repears, stockholm and PiB, sometimes its resistance and madness?

Inconsistent? Is that another way of saying they shake up their setlists a lot? Really, it entirely depends on what music you like as to whether there setlists are 'inconsistent' are 'exictingly different from gig to gig and tour to tour'. You may hate FG, USoE, resistance and madness, but a lot of people probably love them. I feel like im trotting out the same arguement on a regular basis on this forum, but isn't that the point of rotating your setlists all the time like they do? To make sure all fans get a large a chunk as possible of what they want to hear? Sometimes its repears, stockholm and PiB, sometimes its resistance and madness?

Honestly?

I'd rather they found a solid setlist that showcased the "undroppable" hits - spread over all albums - featured a few new tracks, and added some fan favorite, more rare stuff to please the dedicated fans.

I then wouldn't care if they played this same setlist every single night of the tour, because I'm personally likely to see them once at best.

Sadly, rotating setlists pleases the few fans who have the ability to see them multiple times, and using your example, I'd be pretty disappointed if I got your latter rotation vs the former.

Or, in recent examples, been at one of the shoes that rotated out, say, Uno and CE.

I'm not saying they shouldn't rotate if they want to, but the consistency of songs they know to be big fan favs (they obviously see the signs, requests, hashtags, etc - they acknowledged looking at those requests for the club tour) has been... not that great overall.

And played more than 15-16 songs in an arena gig. That would make finding a decently balanced setlist a lot easier.

Honestly?

I'd rather they found a solid setlist that showcased the "undroppable" hits - spread over all albums - featured a few new tracks, and added some fan favorite, more rare stuff to please the dedicated fans.

I then wouldn't care if they played this same setlist every single night of the tour, because I'm personally likely to see them once at best.

Sadly, rotating setlists pleases the few fans who have the ability to see them multiple times, and using your example, I'd be pretty disappointed if I got your latter rotation vs the former.

Or, in recent examples, been at one of the shoes that rotated out, say, Uno and CE.

I'm not saying they shouldn't rotate if they want to, but the consistency of songs they know to be big fan favs (they obviously see the signs, requests, hashtags, etc - they acknowledged looking at those requests for the club tour) has been... not that great overall.

I don't really think I have anything original to add to what your saying anymore. They're touring an album, not "The Best of". And rotating the setlist, especially my latter rotation, may not please you, but Resistance and Madness are 2 of 4 number 1s they've had in the states, the majority of people at a concert (not to be confused with the majority on this forum) will and do want to hear them.

You never really answered my thought, though, and maybe the "controversial" part of my point - who's the rotation for? You can't argue that most of the fans don't go to multiple gigs.

(I'd also argue the "best of" point, as they clearly are and will continue to play the "best of" hits in addition to new stuff, but that's beside the point.)

So, maybe controversially, I wouldn't mind at all if they found that "perfect" setlist that balanced the big hits, new material, and toss in a fan fav "deep cut" or two, and just stuck with it.

I've recently seen bands hit that sweet spot, and it made me really wonder why Muse has struggled with it a bit.

But again, the other bands in question were playing 20-23 songs a set, and not even arena sized gigs, which helped a ton.

So... why the fucking short set, Muse?