People need to stop complaining about setlists, especially if you weren't actually there. We should know what muse are about by now, they put on a show no matter what songs they play, i reckon people should stop complaining and just go with the flow :)

It was a bit of an anti-climax with all the hype it was getting with being "a whole new level for the band" and "very very special guest". It was a ordinary cover, and The Edge? Come on!

A good gig, not anything special though.

Which is what I was saying when I said "solid" :LOL;

I thought the cover was above average.

Their energy was great, and both parties were obviously having a good time. That's what's important. :)

That could have been the case....if it was true.

You don't think it's different to what they've done? I think it is a bit. I mean yeah they have piano songs and what not but when (have to generalise here) casual fans think of Muse, I don't think they think of orchestras...

You don't think it's different to what they've done? I think it is a bit. I mean yeah they have piano songs and what not but when (have to generalise here) casual fans think of Muse, I don't think they think of orchestras...

I don't think it's that different no. The songs themselves are very classic Muse, the only new thing is that Matt actually wrote the strings himself this time.

I think Glastonbury 2010 was better than 04, from what I've seen on youtube.

Drums and vocals are miles better in '10. Say what you will about Muse's live show these days, but I think they're at the top of their game right now.

this!

(though they would still be so much better if they slipped in a few showbiz songs :p)

Drums and vocals are miles better in '10. Say what you will about Muse's live show these days, but I think they're at the top of their game right now.

+1

:wtf: not one song was performed nearly as well in '10. In '04 every song was amazingly mind blowing. '10 was a let down after what it should and could have been.

:wtf: not one song was performed nearly as well in '10. In '04 every song was amazingly mind blowing. '10 was a let down after what it should and could have been.

How about TiRO? :rolleyes:

I wonder what performance of what song would make you feel this way? :p

THIS.

I've been a Muse fan since 2000 and I felt Glastonbury 2004 (and Earls Court) was kind of the ultimate accomplishment of their entire career because I followed them since the nearly beginning, watching them growing bigger and bigger with top songs, that gig concentrated the best of their first 3 albums (which remain the best IMO). I thought they've reached their Nadir during this era. But since they convinced themselves so badly into becoming the next U2 circa 2006, I feel kind of a huge let down as they grow even more popular by getting 'at last' (super)massive media coverage (thanks Twilight).

So when they said:"Get ready, folks, to a big surprise that will take us to a whole new level!!!", now I feel like :erm: ...What's really "different" in terms of "incredible surprises" or "groundbreaking never-seen-before stuff" comparing to Glastonbury 2004? No Showbiz song (not even one) setting a milestone to measure the progress being made in 10 years which have led them where they are now.

It just seem like a regular festival gig like they did at Rock am Ring except The Edge's cameo. That was an emotional tribute for sure (I love U2 and WTSHNN is such a powerful anthem, the moving intro and outro always burst me to tears especially when I saw them on Vertigo Tour back in 2005) but inviting a member of a band who was scheduled as a headliner until medical issues made them canceled the slot, could it be considered a huge groundbreaking surprise?

The only thing that would be "more than awesome" and would take them for granted into a "whole new level never seen before", would be a special gig at Royal Albert Hall like they did but with a full symphonic orchestra (i.e Deep Purple, Metallica or Kiss ...Forget the latter :p)

Let them take some time to put on symphonic arrangements and transfigure their compositions, I would love to hear Space Dementia, Citizen Erased or Exogenesis being played on that kind of setting,.(I don't think I'm the only one wondering about that seducing idea :happy: ) I think they got the stuff and the abilities to succeed in doing that well.

Personally I'd say less than half the set at Glasto 04 was performed amazingly in comparison to other festival/gig performances. Songs like Sunburn, Muscle Museum and Bliss were played loads in those days and it showed. On the other hand, this year I gained a new appreciation for every song played (except maybe for GL and Undisclosed). They were on fire for almost the entire time with a longer set.

Glasto '04 is really overrated.

Not to say that it wasn't a great, legendary gig for the band, because it was. But, like I've said before, Muse from '98-'04ish had some really questionable factors in their performances, mostly things with tempo and mic distortion choices. It was a great gig, and a big piece of Muse "history" and something that has obviously shaped them as musicians today, but you can compare some of the stuff from '04 and '10, and see how much they've grown as a band and as individual musicians. As far as musicanship itself goes, 2010 was a better gig. Say what you will about the setlist, but the '04 setlist was essentially the same idea. The big singles, a lot of Absolution (newest album release) stuff, and a one or two "rarities" at the time. Same can be said for 2010, except bring it into the Resistance era.

Take out Stockholm Syndrome and the following riffage/destruction and Glasto '04 doesn't seem as great.

Not to say that it wasn't a great, legendary gig for the band, because it was. But, like I've said before, Muse from '98-'04ish had some really questionable factors in their performances, mostly things with tempo and mic distortion choices. It was a great gig, and a big piece of Muse "history" and something that has obviously shaped them as musicians today, but you can compare some of the stuff from '04 and '10, and see how much they've grown as a band and as individual musicians. As far as musicanship itself goes, 2010 was a better gig. Say what you will about the setlist, but the '04 setlist was essentially the same idea. The big singles, a lot of Absolution (newest album release) stuff, and a one or two "rarities" at the time. Same can be said for 2010, except bring it into the Resistance era.

Take out Stockholm Syndrome and the following riffage/destruction and Glasto '04 doesn't seem as great.

I'm not sure what tempo or mic distortion choices you're talking about. The distortion worked well for them back then. The '04 setlist was nothing special, but it was solid and the songs they chose worked a lot better than those in the '10 setlist.

They played Hysteria, New Born, Citizen Erased, Time is Running Out, Plug in Baby and Stockholm Syndrome at both gigs. Time is Running Out is the only one they played better this year.

I'm not sure what tempo or mic distortion choices you're talking about. The distortion worked well for them back then. The '04 setlist was nothing special, but it was solid and the songs they chose worked a lot better than those in the '10 setlist.

They played Hysteria, New Born, Citizen Erased, Time is Running Out, Plug in Baby and Stockholm Syndrome at both gigs. Time is Running Out is the only one they played better this year.

Half the time you couldn't understand anything with the distortion. But that's just a taste thing, I guess. Sunburn had some cringe-worthy rushing on Matt's part, and the New Born tempo change (piano->guitar) was also bad at the start, as its always been...

I have to disagree with that partially. Plug in Baby sounds much better in '10. They seem much more relaxed, and like they're having a lot of fun. Plus, that 2nd chorus where the crowd sings along kills me! They've only started to do that with songs in the last year or so, too.

EDIT: Hysteria is definitely better in 04 though.

Edited by r2thabh

The overall sound, TIRO, FG, CE were better in '10 (that's all I can think of right now)

'04 had it's good points, such as SS, the setlist and a few others I can't remember.

Overall, for me, it's 60% - 04, 40% - '10.

Agreed, I think the big thing that has fans spaffing over 04 was it was a turning point and a moment where fans could say "ha this is why they are the best" whereas Glasto 10 headlining 6 years later almost has "been there, done that" attitude from fans.

Mind you, I prefer matts distortion from absolution era, but he has changed the sound he wants.