• Apocalypse Please
    • Butterflies & Hurricanes
    • Ruled by Secrecy
    • Take A Bow
    • Assassin
    • I Belong To You
    • Dead Star
    • The Groove

WARNING: the following media item contains what could be a new category of critic's Muse-fail. Poster disclaims any and all liability for any visceral reaction on the part of the reader, including but not limited to damages to computer equipment and food going down the wrong pipe....

Anybody else get The Star-Ledger and its monthly magazine, Inside Jersey? The general impression I've gotten from the paper is that they don't much care for Muse, pointedly ignoring them much as an urban hipster would studiously ignore, say, Ron Howard when spotting him in a Starbucks, and this IJ blurb (copied verbatim) for the Pru show in the October issue also follows what could almost be an arts-section style guideline -- namely, of disregarding Muse as if they were an increasingly impatient thirteen-ton* male African pachyderm unceremoniously relegated to a dusty corner, as it were**:

METRIC

Prudential Center, Oct. 24

In a recent interview with altsounds.com, the outspoken Emily Haines suggested that people are currently looking to be entertained by clowns -- trash-celebrities that viewers can look down on. Perhaps. How, though, does she explain the success of her own band? Nobody but a virtuoso could feel superior to the musicians in Metric. The Toronto-based quartet plays maddeningly catchy '80's-inspired new wave with the two-fisted power of a prog-rock band. In Haines, it's got a frontwoman whose undeniable sex appeal is largely (but not completely) based on her formidable intelligence and her clever and occasionally confrontational wordplay. The band will open the show for the similarly ambitious Muse at Prudential Center, 165 Mulberry St., Newark, 8 p.m., $42.50 to $65... [Tris McCall]

Which begs the question, exactly how does Muse's ambition echo that of their eminently more notable opening act? [Choose as many characteristics as apply]:

A) Musical virtuosity;

B) 80's-like New Wave hooks;

C) Prog-rock power (but whose "two-fisted"-ness would seem to be working against the virtuosity angle)

D) Sexy frontwoman who's also a helluva lyricist.

If only the reviewer had said that Haines could also rock a designer red suit, I would've been sold.

FWIW I've watched a few Metric clips on YT, and I wasn't struck by any of the attributes McCall listed, except for the indisputable sexiness of Emily Haines. But their songs and stage presence bored me silly, so I can't say I really remember much about them.

* In the interest of fighting ignorance, I actually Googled this. My own guess was four tons, species nonspecific. So I was off by a factor of three, an awful lot of peanuts. I suspect I've got a blind spot in guesstimating the weight of anything with four legs and/or weighing in at more than two tons, but that could be due to the shortcomings of my dating history.

** Based incredibly and indubitably scientifically on two data points: their declining to review The Resistance at all; and their failure to even mention that Muse opened U2's crab-claw special in Giants Stadium in The Meadowlands last September. I consider this latest slight the triangulation of a trend, although it's arguably better to get a one-line mention as the main act than no mention at all as a high-charting opener. No publicity is bad publicity... right? RIGHT!?

Sounds like your standard newspaper fare. They've probably only got one guy/girl covering occasional shows, so it's hard not to have random personal biases flash through. Obviously this one really has a jones for Metric, or felt it was timely to do a feature on them for whatever reason. Also, the show is a month away ... it's possible the newspaper will have more to say about Muse in the future. Give them a chance, at least.;)

When Muse played in Philadelphia, is was only a footnote in our paper (Delaware's only paper; we cover Philadelphia sports and entertainment). Didn't bother me. We have one music writer, who also has to help plan another section and help out with night cop-blotter shifts. He has one music column a week, so I can't really blame him if he picked a different topic that he thought was more interesting to his readers. I will blame him for calling Muse "the Spacehog of our times" though. Whatever the hell that means.

All I can say is, it's a shame my paper can't give me a press pass for Newark. You'd get something of Tennysonian proportions.

I honestly can't wait to meet you all!

same!

anyone else got GA tickets. i'm kind of confused about mine. i thought ga was just a big pit...but mine says GA with a section row and seat. wtf. no barriers for me?

and re: ticketing. i got my tickets off of stubhub. and got mine over the summer..can't vouch for any other ticket company..but i wouldn't panic.

i remember once i ordered tickets from ticketmaster (boo) and im pretty sure they sent them out days before the event. so i think sometimes they take their sweet time to mail them.

same!

anyone else got GA tickets. i'm kind of confused about mine. i thought ga was just a big pit...but mine says GA with a section row and seat. wtf. no barriers for me?

and re: ticketing. i got my tickets off of stubhub. and got mine over the summer..can't vouch for any other ticket company..but i wouldn't panic.

i remember once i ordered tickets from ticketmaster (boo) and im pretty sure they sent them out days before the event. so i think sometimes they take their sweet time to mail them.

It says a section and everything, but it is just standing area. You can still get barrier lol

When I saw them in New York last March, I went into the GA entrance, and they scanned my ticket and I wasn't allowed in. Yet on the ticket it said GA. I was finally put in my spot about 3.5 inches behind the pit with a little gate in front of me...Stupid Ticketmaster.

E;8502012']When I saw them in New York last March' date=' I went into the GA entrance, and they scanned my ticket and I wasn't allowed in. Yet on the ticket it said GA. I was finally put in my spot about 3.5 inches behind the pit with a little gate in front of me...Stupid Ticketmaster.[/quote']

that sucks. sorry about that. did you bring your receipt of payment? sometimes if you have proof they will let you in anyway. unless this was an online ticket i suppose.

Archived