review from "The Gelderlander"

Muse geeft bijna perfect op Goffertwei

NIJMEGEN - Het was bijna een perfect concert van Muse, zaterdagavond op de Nijmeegse Goffertwei, maar toch was er wel wat aan te merken op de muziek, het charisma van de band en natuurlijk het gure weer op zaterdagavond.

Zie ook:

Vroege fans overnachten voor Muse

Het publiek van 55.000 uitzinnige fans maalde er niet om. Het is rond half elf als Matthew Bellamy, zanger en gitarist van Muse, de hoogte ingaat op een soort van ufo. Bellamy draagt een pak van rode ledlampjes.

Het is een van de hoogtepunten in de twee uur durende show van de band in het Goffertpark. In dit geval is het een letterlijk hoogtepunt, ook de mooie show, het prachtige decor en de professionaliteit van de band behoren tot de hoogtepunten.

Je kunt je ook onmogelijk bekocht voelen als je 60 euro neertelt voor deze show en er ook nog eens concerten van Ghinzu en Editors bij krijgt. Er zijn fans van Editors speciaal voor deze Britse band naar de Goffert gekomen. Woord voor woord worden de hits van het voorprogramma meegezongen.

Het decor ziet er uit als de hoek van een rechthoekig gebouw waar een verdieping is uitgesneden. Na de films zijn nu ook de concertpodia al 3D. Dat decor en de videobeelden die erop te zien zijn, zijn prachtig. Het compenseert het gebrek aan podiumpresentatie van Muse. De band mag muzikaal dan veel op Queen lijken, de snor van Freddy Mercury had nog meer charisma dan Matthew Bellamy. Hij spreekt amper het publiek aan, dat wordt vaak door de drummer gedaan. En de kleine heren vallen enigszins weg in het grootse decor.

and my attempt at the translation

Muse gives nearly perfect concert @ Goffert

Nijmegen: it was an almost perfect concert of Muse, saturday night at the goffert, but there where still some faults to be found witht he music, the charisma of the band and ofcourse the bad(cold) weather on saturdaynight(er, like that last part is Muse's fault, anyway:)

The audience of 55:000 exited fans didn't care. It's around half past 10 when Matthew Bellamy, singer and guitarplayer of Muse, goes up high on a kind of ufo. Bellamy wears a suit of red ledlights.

It is one of the highlights in the 2 hour show of the band in the Goffertpark. In this case it's also literary a highpoint, also the good show, the beautiful decor and the profesionality of the band belong to the highlights.

It's impossible to feel robbed(?) if you put down 60 euro for this show and also get shows from Ghinzu and Editors as a bonus. Some fans of the Editors have come to the Goffert especially for this british band. The hits of this support act are song along word by word.

The decor looks like the corner of an rectangular building where a floor is cut out of. After the films there are now also concertstages in 3D. That stage and the videoimages which are screened upon it, are beautiful. That compensates the lack of podiumpresence of Muse. The band may look a lot like Queen musicially, the mustache of Freddy Mercury had more charisma then Matthew Bellamy. He hardly speaks to the puclic, that's often done by the drummer. And the little men get lost in the large decor

-

the mustache comment is quite harsh!

vid of uprising at http://www.gelderlander.nl/voorpagina/nijmegen/6863543/Muse-geeft-bijna-perfect-concert-op-Goffertwei.ece

OMG, I just don't where where to begin to describe last night....

I am sooo overwhelmed by this concert so it will take me a long time to recover :LOL:

It was my first Muse-concert so I didn't even care about the setlist. But i must admit when they started Bliss, I was a tiny bit dissapointed cause i thought that would mean no CE! Boy was I happy when they played that!

Reading the boards now it seems like i still managed to miss a looot of stuff like I couldn't really make out what Matt was saying at the time (also thanks to the massively screaming girls behind me :p).

We were standing right at the front (left side), next to the barrier (& lift), and although we didn't get to see Chris all that much, we had an amaaazing view on Matt! Crowd around us was all into the jumping and screaming (*sore throat!*) so no complaints there.

I also loved the way Dom had a huge smile on his face all the time and how he waved at us on the lift. Matt also seemed to be in a great mood, laughing and mumbling a lot :D

Too bad my camera sucked for recording (only did small pieces here and there) but I was way too excited anyways to stand still ;) (Made a collage of some pics: see attachment.)

This was my first but definitely NOT MY LAST Museconcert!!

884686885_Musecollage3.thumb.jpg.3a0aa629d308af870d2761c74eb2c505.jpg

Epic gig!

Pretty obvious that the drumming on UD is not live. Don't give a fuck though.

Brilliant day!

I just wonder why, surely it would still sound good with Dom actually drumming?

And as for the TIRO comments, I'm glad it wasn't just my filthy mind - I too clearly thought he sang "you will fuck the life out of me" and now it seems he did. He must have been in a randy mood :LOL::p

And as for the TIRO comments, I'm glad it wasn't just my filthy mind - I too clearly thought he sang "you will fuck the life out of me" and now it seems he did. He must have been in a randy mood :LOL::p

I listened to it twice now and I heard that too :chuckle:

and my attempt at the translation

Muse gives nearly perfect concert @ Goffert

Nijmegen: it was an almost perfect concert of Muse, saturday night at the goffert, but there where still some faults to be found witht he music, the charisma of the band and ofcourse the bad(cold) weather on saturdaynight(er, like that last part is Muse's fault, anyway:)

The audience of 55:000 exited fans didn't care. It's around half past 10 when Matthew Bellamy, singer and guitarplayer of Muse, goes up high on a kind of ufo. Bellamy wears a suit of red ledlights.

It is one of the highlights in the 2 hour show of the band in the Goffertpark. In this case it's also literary a highpoint, also the good show, the beautiful decor and the profesionality of the band belong to the highlights.

It's impossible to feel robbed(?) if you put down 60 euro for this show and also get shows from Ghinzu and Editors as a bonus. Some fans of the Editors have come to the Goffert especially for this british band. The hits of this support act are song along word by word.

The decor looks like the corner of an rectangular building where a floor is cut out of. After the films there are now also concertstages in 3D. That stage and the videoimages which are screened upon it, are beautiful. That compensates the lack of podiumpresence of Muse. The band may look a lot like Queen musicially, the mustache of Freddy Mercury had more charisma then Matthew Bellamy. He hardly speaks to the puclic, that's often done by the drummer. And the little men get lost in the large decor

-

the mustache comment is quite harsh!

vid of uprising at http://www.gelderlander.nl/voorpagina/nijmegen/6863543/Muse-geeft-bijna-perfect-concert-op-Goffertwei.ece

wtf? :eek:

which queen fan wrote this?:stunned:

I heard people where leaving earlier, I just didnt get it, why leave a MUSE concert early :stunned: ? On the other hand, they probably didn't want any trouble with traffic or something.

at the entrence there where big signs saying you should leave on time to catch your train, guess a lot of people did. As KoC was my fave song glad I didn't have to miss out on that!

Oh and I still love the "oooooccceeeaaannnss" bit :)

PS has anyone found a pic of the hansopje yet?

I also loved the way Dom had a huge smile on his face all the time and how he waved at us on the lift. Matt also seemed to be in a great mood, laughing and mumbling a lot :D

Too bad my camera sucked for recording (only did small pieces here and there) but I was way too excited anyways to stand still ;) (Made a collage of some pics: see attachment.)

/QUOTE]

Glad you and everybody else had a great time! :D

Those are some very good pictures as well! :)

EDIT: Failed quote :facepalm:

I just wonder why, surely it would still sound good with Dom actually drumming?

I also noticed that Dom doesn't do all the beats of UD. But I think there is an explanation: Morgan does some of them.

@Julie, can you upload your pics somewhere? I would like to have them in goog quality. ;)

Teignmouth, second night! Found one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO1zs47Z1P0

God, I laughed so much when it happened! I was on the barrier and could see he was grinning from ear to ear!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh my god!:LOL: I'd seen another vid where the quality was really bad so you could only hear the "sorry, forgot it" ... I didn't realize how amusing he was about it. I just love Matt.:awesome:

i like how they gave a good review and all you can take out of it is they said Freddie Mercury's 'tache was cooler than Bellamy. (ps: it still is :p)

i dont care about that moustache...

just that comment on the stage presentation...

How can you say something like that about MUSE? Thats one of the things that makes them unique!!:eek: or am i wrong?

i like how they gave a good review and all you can take out of it is they said Freddie Mercury's 'tache was cooler than Bellamy. (ps: it still is :p)

Umm, though they did write many good things, they wrapped it up by saying Muse had no stage presence and Matt has no charisma ... that's rather glaring. Now, I recognize some things get warbled in translation, but I don't get how someone could say they have no stage presence. And Matt has plenty of charisma ... it's certainly his own, odd, often puzzling charisma ... but he definitely not a wooden board up there. And they pick on him for not speaking to the crowd enough? Don't know about you guys but I'd rather hear a band play music than ramble to the crowd.

@Julie, can you upload your pics somewhere? I would like to have them in goog quality. ;)

Sure no prob. But any suggestion for some free website or so? (I never uploaded stuff before.) The pics aren't really great quality though (some are better than other)...

Hi,

I'm new to this board. I've been enjoying the music from Muse for a couple of years now. Yesterday (Nijmegen) I finally got around to seeing them live. And they did not dissapoint. Great show and they really take the music to a next level playing live as most great bands do.

[...]

I'm glad you had such a great time as for a first gig ! =)

And thanks for the great video eventhough u would have maybe enjoyed the gig even more if u didn't record this...

Finally back from Nijmegen

I have a small list of what happened yesterday (MUSE were extremely happy and were fooling around the whole time):

(by the way Ghinzu congratulated us with the win of Holland against Japan:happy:)

[...]

Of course ! Belgians are so nice people ! :D

Well... Except some extremists...

Nice to have you telling us all these details, I was totally sucked into the show and couldn't pay attention to any of these. Even when they said few things, I couldn't hear them because of all the crowd yelling and cheering them.

I didn't know what they were talking about before FG, I was like "well, someone go get some coffee for them, they seem to have a nice chat together !"

I noticed the same for UD, 't was funny.

I wonder if he didn't mess up the begining of MK Ultra too cause he did 3 times the first notes. Like trying to hide the fact he started maybe too early the first time. Dunno.

Where were you standing to see all this and hear correctly what they were saying ?

Stupid press review. It's not Queen at all. Saying this stupid thing only because they're british people and doing a few.

And indeed, Fadeaway, you did warn us, but I didn't expect such a mess. It's was an epic mess, just like the gig was an epic one. :p

Archived