Lily Allen Slammed By Reverend and the Makers Frontman (They talk about Muse as well)

Natalia

• 4 months later...

Good on Matt for sticking up for the whole stopping illegal downloading. It's the big artists and the people who work with them who suffer the most (in term of money) from illegal downloads, the smaller bands and artists gain from getting their music heard by more people, and therefore increase the people who would pay to see them live and buy merch.

The government are going to put a bill in place which would aim to reduce illegal downloads by 70%. Record companies would have the power to ask ISP's for anyone's internet activity, and therefore could cut anyone off from the internet for at least a year. However the only problem with this is that people will always find ways around this, for example using mobile internet through mobile phoness and ipods.

Personaly i think that this government crack down on illegal downloads wont work, people will always continue to illegally download, but it's worth a try. I'm not someone who does illegaly download things purely because i'd feel guilty for taking something that the artist has made without paying for it.

Good on Matt for sticking up for the whole stopping illegal downloading. It's the big artists and the people who work with them who suffer the most (in term of money) from illegal downloads, the smaller bands and artists gain from getting their music heard by more people, and therefore increase the people who would pay to see them live and buy merch.

The government are going to put a bill in place which would aim to reduce illegal downloads by 70%. Record companies would have the power to ask ISP's for anyone's internet activity, and therefore could cut anyone off from the internet for at least a year. However the only problem with this is that people will always find ways around this, for example using mobile internet through mobile phoness and ipods.

Personaly i think that this government crack down on illegal downloads wont work, people will always continue to illegally download, but it's worth a try. I'm not someone who does illegaly download things purely because i'd feel guilty for taking something that the artist has made without paying for it.

random thread revival

He isn't up for stopping it, he has accepted the fact that it is the norm, and has done it himself. If you read his statement in the ISPs thread he made, you would see that he doesn't want to stop it but regulate it.

The Link

Jon McClure from The Reverend and the Makers has lashed out at Liy Allen for her comments about file sharing.

McClure said she was a hypocrite for complaining about illegal downloading while earning "millions of pounds".

He also slammed Muse frontman Matt Bellamy who came out in support of Allen after her comments.

Speaking to the Sun, he said: "We've got Iraq today, Afghanistan, bankers are taking the p*ss, MPs are taking the p*ss, BNP are on the rampage, plus we're melting the ice caps. There's a lot to be angry about but nobody wants to do it.

"What upsets me is last week Lily Allen and Muse came out and said, 'We've got to campaign against filesharing. We're having breakfast with Peter Mandelson and we're gonna tell him to shut down kids' internets'. Now, what a crying shame it is that all you can get angry or upset about is kids nicking your music.

"The thing with Lily is, I think when you get your nipples out in GQ and you're trying to make serious political comment with the government, you're putting yourself in a silly position."

He added: "At the end of the day, I stole Lily Allen's album and there's nothing she can do about it. People think I'm a communist because I've got these views, but I'm not. I'm not saying people can't earn a living, but let's be fair.

"Muse, you're playing Wembley stadium, Lily Allen, you're playing arenas. You've got millions of pounds, there's things happening that are far more important than that. The thing with music now is it's all self-preservation. Of course you don't want kids to nick stuff but they're doing it all the time and good luck to them."

its true though econmy is at a bad palce NOW I BUY MY MUSIC! and im totally up for supporting the artist but still other people can't afford it :( its sad if they can now no longer discover of muse's geniusness because they simply can't afford it...sorry matt but im giving you the thumbs down on this one...

i mean come on illegal downloading is bad...but is it really necessary for people to lose the right of listening to music :noey:

random thread revival

He isn't up for stopping it, he has accepted the fact that it is the norm, and has done it himself. If you read his statement in the ISPs thread he made, you would see that he doesn't want to stop it but regulate it.

oh shit :chuckle:

sorry for the random rambling AND SORRY MAFFOO THAT I SALMED BACK AT YOU!

now this i agree with Matt has totally got to the point that i wanted to try to get to! it should be done but at a moderate amount

I downloaded ALL of Muse's music illegally when I first started listening to them.

I've since bought everything they've ever released (except singles - I'm working on it) and ditched the downloaded copies.

If I hadn't downloaded so many Muse songs I probably wouldn't be the huge Muse fan I am now.

So Matt's right - illegal downloading gets their music out to more people, which is important when radio stations only play two or three of their songs. I listened to Virgin Radio/Absolute for years and the only Muse song I heard on it (until very recently) was Starlight.

Say Im gonna download thier albums and B-sides, everything all illegally.

If I get summond to court would he pay for the charges to be dropped, would he represent me and say to let me off, its fine?

Probably fucking not; he's picking beef with the big boys and girls of music for attention because 'french kiss' was a shit album with an epic fail boat of shit political lyrics.

• 2 years later...

I say don't judge people before you actually meet them. Arragence is not an admeral trate to have in ones personality, it makes people to be perceved as mentally ugly. e.g. I'm not keen on Chris Martin's music with Coldplay, but it's just my opinion and not fact. I hate how people tend to express their opinions and confuse it with facts. This arregent abusive attitude that many people express, I find it quite childish to be honest. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but you have to temper it with some calm.

Reverend and the Makers have decent enough music, but they are nothing more than a bandwagon band, who jumped onto the music scene after Arctic Monkeys had huge success, as well as countless other Sheffield bands. I strongly dislike his attitude, he's a miserable old sod, who never has anything good to say about anyone. I remember he said a few years ago he was going to quit the music industry and get a job as a taxi driver, because he hated it. What? he's still making music now? "Look mate, if you dislike the music industry so much you should have not formed a band, or released an album".

I do sort of agree with him with illegal downloading, but people still need to make a living. The first RATM album was good, the other two are just dreadful.

His reference to Matt wasn't fully realised, I don't think but Lilly Allen isn't bothered about smaller bands finding it hard to get by because of illegal downloads. I'm pretty sure I saw an interview of her once where she said she wasn't going to make music anymore because she wasn't making as much money out of it (although she would still make quite a fucking lot) and instead brought out her own perfume or something. That made me really dislike Lilly and agree with pretty much what the article said in that she shouldn't really complain considering how much money she has and would still make from making music.

Archived