Lily Allen Slammed By Reverend and the Makers Frontman (They talk about Muse as well)

Natalia

The Link

Jon McClure from The Reverend and the Makers has lashed out at Liy Allen for her comments about file sharing.

McClure said she was a hypocrite for complaining about illegal downloading while earning "millions of pounds".

He also slammed Muse frontman Matt Bellamy who came out in support of Allen after her comments.

Speaking to the Sun, he said: "We've got Iraq today, Afghanistan, bankers are taking the p*ss, MPs are taking the p*ss, BNP are on the rampage, plus we're melting the ice caps. There's a lot to be angry about but nobody wants to do it.

"What upsets me is last week Lily Allen and Muse came out and said, 'We've got to campaign against filesharing. We're having breakfast with Peter Mandelson and we're gonna tell him to shut down kids' internets'. Now, what a crying shame it is that all you can get angry or upset about is kids nicking your music.

"The thing with Lily is, I think when you get your nipples out in GQ and you're trying to make serious political comment with the government, you're putting yourself in a silly position."

He added: "At the end of the day, I stole Lily Allen's album and there's nothing she can do about it. People think I'm a communist because I've got these views, but I'm not. I'm not saying people can't earn a living, but let's be fair.

"Muse, you're playing Wembley stadium, Lily Allen, you're playing arenas. You've got millions of pounds, there's things happening that are far more important than that. The thing with music now is it's all self-preservation. Of course you don't want kids to nick stuff but they're doing it all the time and good luck to them."

With all the important issues that Matt touches on I thought that it was strange that he chose to make such a big deal about this one. Although I suppose that it does affect him more personally than other issues. I just think there are more important things that he could have gotten started on.

oh, is this all related to that ISP thing? i ever really understood it, but is it just about file sharing and illegal music downloading? the guy does make a point that there is a few more important things in the world than downloading music illegally considering how much money they already make, but i guess he might feel differently if it was happening to him.

matt bellamy has not come out and said all this for himself - he's doing for other bands that are poor and trying to a make a living - filesharing kills them because people wont buy the albums but instead download them. So this guy has the wrong idea - muse and lilly allen are not trying to stop their music being downloaded - its more about helping developing musicians - which is really nice of them. But then again it could be argued that many bands make it far because their music is so readily available on the net that people get to know them - and then go to their shows where the band makes $$$. Its a tricky one - especially with itunes that actually lets people buy downloads - and then you have limewire where it's all for free... I don't think they could ever get rid of free filesharing - and there's not much point in trying - real fans will buy your music anyway.

matt bellamy has not come out and said all this for himself - he's doing for other bands that are poor and trying to a make a living - filesharing kills them because people wont buy the albums but instead download them. So this guy has the wrong idea - muse and lilly allen are not trying to stop their music being downloaded - its more about helping developing musicians - which is really nice of them. But then again it could be argued that many bands make it far because their music is so readily available on the net that people get to know them - and then go to their shows where the band makes $$$. Its a tricky one - especially with itunes that actually lets people buy downloads - and then you have limewire where it's all for free... I don't think they could ever get rid of free filesharing - and there's not much point in trying - real fans will buy your music anyway.

Exactly, the band has admitted to downloading music, but he says if you are going to download music, there should be some repercussions for it. But then again, he also didn't make that big of a deal about it like Lily, and I think it is something he wanted to get his point across about this subject. I know Matt has said somewhere that they make most of their money from the gigs they do, and if it wasn't for downloading most people in the states wouldn't have ever gotten OOS for a long while. I know Chris said in an interview that he was amazed what the internet can do because (this was like in 2004) they were playing gigs in the states where people were actually singing along to OOS songs. Filesharing puts a lot of things into perspective.

And it isn't like it is the end of the world if they talk about this particular subject. This guy says there are more important things going on, and obviously Matt knows about it (hello Uprising :rolleyes:). He just chose to open up about this issue, and why not, he is a musician.

Exactly, the band has admitted to downloading music, but he says if you are going to download music, there should be some repercussions for it. But then again, he also didn't make that big of a deal about it like Lily, and I think it is something he wanted to get his point across about this subject. I know Matt has said somewhere that they make most of their money from the gigs they do, and if it wasn't for downloading most people in the states wouldn't have ever gotten OOS for a long while. I know Chris said in an interview that he was amazed what the internet can do because (this was like in 2004) they were playing gigs in the states where people were actually singing along to OOS songs. Filesharing puts a lot of things into perspective.

And it isn't like it is the end of the world if they talk about this particular subject. This guy says there are more important things going on, and obviously Matt knows about it (hello Uprising :rolleyes:). He just chose to open up about this issue, and why not, he is a musician.

:yesey: this McClure guy seems to be quick to give his opinion of Matt without knowing the facts, and that to me = douchebag :D though I am doing the same to him, never heard of him or his band!

:yesey: this McClure guy seems to be quick to give his opinion of Matt without knowing the facts, and that to me = douchebag :D though I am doing the same to him, never heard of him or his band!

He's quite an outspoken character. Reverend and the Makers are a decent enough band, saw them support Oasis at Wembley. McClure had a lot to say about Politicians. He even introduced one of his songs by saying 'you probably got this off the internet'. I think he's reacted to the press-releases that have lumped Lily Allen and Matt together. Its not really a big deal, neither him nor Matt actually have the power to do anything. McClure just wants some publicity for his band and slagging off Lily Allen and Muse is probably going to appeal to his target audience.

He obviously didn't read it through properly.

Matt didn't want to steal kids internet, he wanted the ISPs to cough up, big fecking difference.

Who is this numpty anyway?

Matt shouldn't be let near a computer while drunk EVER again!

He's quite an outspoken character. Reverend and the Makers are a decent enough band, saw them support Oasis at Wembley. McClure had a lot to say about Politicians. He even introduced one of his songs by saying 'you probably got this off the internet'. I think he's reacted to the press-releases that have lumped Lily Allen and Matt together. Its not really a big deal, neither him nor Matt actually have the power to do anything. McClure just wants some publicity for his band and slagging off Lily Allen and Muse is probably going to appeal to his target audience.

He sounds like a wankstain. He admits to stealing Lily Allens Album. NO TASTE! If you gonna steal something, make it a good one next time yah dingus!

Matt definitely wasn't in agreement with Lily Allen and he can't be criticised for not commenting on more important issues obviously. The difference with this issue is that its one he is directly involved in and he therefore has more clout, and also the fact that he wasn't very clear initially and it mattered to him to be clear. Not that there was much point in him clarifying if you look at this type of response.

People are always going to throw out the rich card at someone like Matt but its almost inevitable as you have to have a public position for comments to be heard in the press and unless you're a politician (and sometimes even if you are a politician) that usually comes hand and hand with wealth.

Social commentators have always been part of "the elite", something I learnt in my course the other day. That doesn't mean they are elitest and Matt certainly isn't. A very unfair comment I think. I don't think he's even like on the rich list or anything just better off than most of us, deservedly so for the enjoyment he gives to so many through his music.

I can imagine Matt being put out about this like he was over the allegations by the Stereophonics. This guy is trying to paint him as something he's not. Mind you maybe he's used to that sort of stuff by now.

Archived