I was amazed that they didn't realise people would complain about the Sophie being stalked by creepy uni tutor guy storyline.

I mean, come on. Same name, same relationship, scary stalkage. Honestly! :rolleyes: They really should have been a bit considerate and given that one a miss.

Yeah. I guess they want to bring up serious issues that young people face, but if they were desperate to do that one, they could have left it for a while and brought in a character not called Sophie before doing so.

That doesn't excite me much. Hoping for Arcade Fire and Marina and the Diamonds, though. Would definitely go if they're playing.

Oh, I'd definitely go for Arcade Fire. It's a pity Florence never ended up performing at the BDO, and I also didn't go to her gig here (because tickets were $100! They only have on album...) :(

Does anyone know what the usual graduation months are for Auckland Uni? I know that the next one is in September this year, but I graduate after the first semester of next year, and want to make travel plans. When have the other ceremonies been?

In terms of BDO, I'm not a massive fan of either of those, but I'd probably still go just for the festival atmosphere. Might be a bit of work convincing my friend though- she's usually of the 'if I don't like the bands, why would I go?' opinion. It might be kind of nice to have someone she really wants to see come, so we could go for that, and then just have the rest of the day as a 'see anything' type event. Takes the stress out of waiting around for the act you want to see.

Does anyone know what the usual graduation months are for Auckland Uni? I know that the next one is in September this year, but I graduate after the first semester of next year, and want to make travel plans. When have the other ceremonies been?

First week in May usually.

It sounds similar to Otago, you could graduate in December or April. So you'd have to graduate in September in absentia if you didn't plan to be there or apply to graduate in May the next year. I had the choice to graduate in December a month after I finished Uni with no friends around, or graduate in April not knowing whether I'd do postgrad at Vic or be living somewhere else. I did December, it was a pretty non event.

I found this website my work uses to give info to people relocating internationally, the site is obviously American:

New Zealand is composed of two large islands - the North and South Islands that are approximately the size of Japan or Britain - in addition to several smaller ones. Located in the Southern Hemisphere, New Zealand is very near the International Date Line.

The country is a geographical cornucopia, with majestic mountains, geothermal pools and geysers, rich rain forests, fjords, and sparkling beaches. Outdoor life is a passion with the people of New Zealand or "Kiwis" - a nickname borrowed from the national bird. Much time is spent walking, trekking, cycling, and sailing.

North American and British business people find that taking business dealings to this English-speaking democracy is virtually seamless in terms of customs and expectations. The biggest hurdle is the distance to travel.

New Zealanders are direct and fairly relaxed in business, and they favor forthrightness over showmanship.

Humanitarianism is a pervasive character trait in New Zealanders, and they value human progress and care of the individual person. Individualism is also highly valued, and a person's highest reward is to be recognized for an achievement.

New Zealanders are generally open and friendly. They are practical, strong and self-reliant, and are dedicated to family and home. They are proud and patriotic, and work hard to improve their homes and gardens.

New Zealanders are not the same as Australians, although that may be the expectation. Australians tend to be affable but direct, sometimes to the point of bluntness; New Zealanders are described as being a bit more staid. The comparison has often been drawn about the differences between the U.S. and Canada, Canadians inevitably being described as a quieter, more composed people. The same could be said for New Zealanders.

New Zealand people are very receptive to new ideas and to travelers from around the world. The multicultural environment welcomes and assimilates foreigners with ease.

New Zealanders have shared a common bond with the British, who first settled in the country in 1769. The two countries also share a sovereign queen. A friendly rivalry exists between New Zealanders and Australians, to whom they are often compared and with whom they are sometimes confused by foreigners.

Boredly, I decided to Google image search "unfortunate tie."

the_unfortunate_turtle_tie-p151886626779519336td9w_210.jpg

I agree that this does indeed fit that description.

Why would anyone want to wear that?

And interestingly, that's a website that sells this tie. Even they acknowledge it's unfortunate!

Much time is spent walking, trekking, cycling, and sailing.

New Zealanders are direct and fairly relaxed in business, and they favor forthrightness over showmanship.

New Zealanders are not the same as Australians, although that may be the expectation.

New Zealand people are very receptive to new ideas and to travelers from around the world. The multicultural environment welcomes and assimilates foreigners with ease.

:LOL:

It sounds similar to Otago, you could graduate in December or April. So you'd have to graduate in September in absentia if you didn't plan to be there or apply to graduate in May the next year. I had the choice to graduate in December a month after I finished Uni with no friends around, or graduate in April not knowing whether I'd do postgrad at Vic or be living somewhere else. I did December, it was a pretty non event.

Well ideally I would be there in May, but it just seems strange to graduate before the semester is over? :erm:

Otherwise it would probably be September in absentia. A lot of my friends are graduating this year, so I'll probably be graduating by myself anyway.

Well ideally I would be there in May, but it just seems strange to graduate before the semester is over? :erm:

The May one is for people who finish in second semester the previous year. The September one is for first semester finishers.

Sounds hard to believe, but it really does take that long - you have to apply to graduate, etc... :rolleyes: