The May one is for people who finish in second semester the previous year. The September one is for first semester finishers.

Sounds hard to believe, but it really does take that long - you have to apply to graduate, etc... :rolleyes:

Oh so it will be in September anyway. That's actually good, because I'd like to have a New Zealand summer too :happy:

I found this article about NZ's current alcohol climate interesting, I hadn't followed the proposed changes that are going on. What do you all think of the issue?

Limiting the sale of alcohol to licensed stores would do very little. I grew up in Invercargill where you can't buy alcohol anywhere but ILT stores (so it is generally a lot more expensive then anywhere else in the country as it's a monopoly) and the drinking culture was not any different to anywhere else I've lived.

And then from my experience in working in insurance, putting the alcohol limit to zero or lower than it already is for drink driving will do fuck all either. The recidivists are blowing ridiculous amounts and while they might get caught, all that happens is they get slapped over the wrist. In Invercargill, drunk driving is very common, when I go home and read the paper I will usually recognise a name from my school in the court pages for that. Then, the worse part is very little happens to you if you drink drive and kill someone. Case at hand just very recently: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4032214/Deadly-drink-driver-avoids-jail

8 months home detention for killing someone?! And she is guaranteed to drive on her disqualification.

Her father was in the paper saying that the drinking culture was to blame, not his daughter so no one ever takes responsibility for their problem. People paint it as a collective problem that they can't change as one person. Another recent one who blame their daughter's drunk driving death on everyone but her: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10666344

She was onto her fourth conviction!

Mine was alright that my older brother was graduating at the same time and thus sitting beside me and making humourous comments. But as I said, it was December in Dunedin and no one is around. The place becomes a ghost town. And then I was working ridiculous shifts at Briscoes around it so I was exhausted.

Whenever I finish my postgrad qualification (assuming I will when I go home) I think it'd be better.

Edited by JoBear

Mine was about 2 - 3 hours. I went to Oren's as well and that at least 2 as well. You get your 2 seconds of fame then have to sit through everybody elses.

That's a long time to be sitting. :erm: How long are the actual presentations compared to speeches, etc?

Felt sorry for the PhD people at mine. There were like four of them, they went first, and then they had to sit through two hours of BAs!

A bar we went to tonight had cheerios on their snack menu. CHEERIOS! Best option for slightly drunk people ever. Our consensus was "FUCKING CHEERIOS!" And they were delicious. :happy:

i want cheerios now. :(

did you ever try the purple honey ones? they were horrible. it was like a normal cherrio with a honey aftertaste.

I never did try them. I don't think I've ever actually eaten anything purple. Something just seems not right about that colour.

I have to say I don't miss New Zealand. Which to me, is really unusual and a hard thing to accept. Compared to when I was out here last, I just wanted to go home and hated England.

But...I'm just so disappointed in New Zealand at the moment. It doesn't feel like the place I fell in love with. Haha, it's like a relationship, I feel we need some proper time apart so when we get back together I can really appreciate it again and fall in love all over again.

I'm english but lived in NZ for the first 8 years of my life. Mission bay near auckland if anyone knows it. Haven't been back in so long :(

Mission Bay is lovely. :)

Went to a party in Panmure last weekend and drove back home along Tamaki Drive.