aaww yeah! win day is so full of win right now.

just got my little booster circuit built on breadboard. I'm just using a 2n3904 for control, but i've a tonne of NPN's to try including ZTX500's, BC107's, 2N2222's and then all those ones i pulled from the toshiba radio.

From the 2N3904, it's a bit bright, but, from testing out fuzz's with NPN's, 2N2222's are much rounder, fuller tones, so i'm optimistic so far. Hopefuly, i'll have a built and boxed VC by the end of the week, running on 12 of your finest Volts.

hooray! just in time to solve my boost dilemma.

For my little booster, i tested a bunch of npn's. Here's what i got, results wise:

2N3904 Hfe=214; Too trebly, very flat sound

Bc107 Hfe=193; Rounder, More Fuzz/Distortion/Gain even at low levels

2n2222 Hfe=248; Similar to BC107, slightly more fuzz, less silicony

C2655Y Hfe=181; high level Gain. Distortion at any levels of boost

C2878b Hfe=226; Grainier, not very crisp/clean

C1815gr Hfe=241; V.Low gain. Almost no od at max boost

I'm definitely leaning towards the 2n2222. It's a nice level of boost compared to the others.

Tis a fine valvecaster deluxe!

2mo5tex.jpg

The 4 knobs, from left to right are:

Volume, Drive, Gain and Tone

Drive is used to control a sort of pre-boost. It's a boost that runs on a 2N2222, and it's mainly there just to add more gain. It runs on 12V, no battery, and sounds fucking awesome. It's got all the usual trimmings too, like true bypass and a diecast aluminium case. Easily my favourite pedal i own.

Check out the sinister action! that hole in the top right is so you can see this when it's powered up:

293voxs.jpg

this is true. I less than three my one, but i built it with a 2N2222, so it's a bit more boostier?

I used BS170 but its got a socket so I might try some others when I get chance. Gonna do a LPB-1 and a D*A*M Meathead next.

Archived