Hullabaloo DVD

idealist

I thought he had a degree in media studies?

i'm majoring in media studies and if it's like my program, then it doesn't mean much. we only have to take one video class, albeit its a long ass class, but only one... our programs means you get basic training in all types of media comm. i'm there for the radio option.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be pedantic, it's just something that has interested me.

I've been watching the Hullabaloo DVD like a hawk, specifically Space Dementia. I've begun to wonder if Matt actually plays the big dramatic ending at all. There are a number of reasons for this.

If you look at camera angle 1 on the DVD, there is a craning shot moving upwards of matt doing a big, dynamic, low C major chord (at 47mins, 17½ seconds)... if you watch carefully, you see him quickly move his right hand to push a button on his piano. However, if you look at Camera angle 3 - the camera attached to the piano - you don't see him do this. Perhaps the craning shot was from a different take? But that doesn't show that he's not playing it. The thing that DOES, is that whatever camera angle you choose, half the time, chords we hear, he isn't even playing. A good example is the last three identical chords - B, D#, F# and A - he only visually hits those chords twice though before glissing downwards, but audibly plays them three times. Perhaps the button he presses is a play button? Because not only that, the actual solo at the end is way too melodic to be possible, it seems. I have tried copying exactly what he does, and it's damned difficult to get it that accurate. It would have to be written, the sort of dischordant chords he plays can't really be spontaneous, maybe it's possible actually, but it definitely wasn't done here. Unless...

The reason we don't see him play the third chord at the end is because the audio and video from two different takes was mixed. As I said, camera angles 1 and 3 are different when he hits the C major chord.

But then why did he press that button in one take and not in the other?

Did anybody actually GO to the Hullabaloo gig at Le Zenith in Paris? If so, did they do multiple takes?

Check it out and see what you think.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be pedantic, it's just something that has interested me.

I've been watching the Hullabaloo DVD like a hawk, specifically Space Dementia. I've begun to wonder if Matt actually plays the big dramatic ending at all. There are a number of reasons for this.

If you look at camera angle 1 on the DVD, there is a craning shot moving upwards of matt doing a big, dynamic, low C major chord (at 47mins, 17½ seconds)... if you watch carefully, you see him quickly move his right hand to push a button on his piano. However, if you look at Camera angle 3 - the camera attached to the piano - you don't see him do this. Perhaps the craning shot was from a different take? But that doesn't show that he's not playing it. The thing that DOES, is that whatever camera angle you choose, half the time, chords we hear, he isn't even playing. A good example is the last three identical chords - B, D#, F# and A - he only visually hits those chords twice though before glissing downwards, but audibly plays them three times. Perhaps the button he presses is a play button? Because not only that, the actual solo at the end is way too melodic to be possible, it seems. I have tried copying exactly what he does, and it's damned difficult to get it that accurate. It would have to be written, the sort of dischordant chords he plays can't really be spontaneous, maybe it's possible actually, but it definitely wasn't done here. Unless...

The reason we don't see him play the third chord at the end is because the audio and video from two different takes was mixed. As I said, camera angles 1 and 3 are different when he hits the C major chord.

But then why did he press that button in one take and not in the other?

Did anybody actually GO to the Hullabaloo gig at Le Zenith in Paris? If so, did they do multiple takes?

Check it out and see what you think.

sir!!! sir!!! your fucking awesome u have made me day! i tip my hat to u sir!

yeah ive noticed the same thing, that last chords he plays to end the song, before going to all the sliding on the keys, you hear the chord played about 4-5 times, but instead hes already moving his hands up and down lol. its probably just an editing mistake. i mean, ive also noticed on Hyper music, if you go on Chris' angle, you see him singing on the mic, but on the left hand side his in the middle of the stage bopping lol. its all in the editing.

:confused: Maybe someone can help me! (please) - I've had that dvd since it came out but can't get it to play on my dvd player or the computer or ps2 help!! is it broken or am i just being real dumb?

Hmm...that really shouldn't happen.

You got the right region of player and DVD? Is there even a Region 1 copy available?

Hmm...that really shouldn't happen.

You got the right region of player and DVD? Is there even a Region 1 copy available?

I got mine off a Asia website.. and its a region 0 it said.. basically it said it can work on any DVD player, so i got it... Because i knew the whole region thing it wouldnt work.. So im very happy i got this..

I got mine off a Asia website.. and its a region 0 it said.. basically it said it can work on any DVD player, so i got it... Because i knew the whole region thing it wouldnt work.. So im very happy i got this..

Out of interest, which Asian website did you get it from? I was hoping to get the Japanese version (with Darkshines) but I've only seen it for about $55 on cdjapan.co.jp, which is quite a lot. It was £8.99 on CD-WOW back last year but I didn't get it then (I don't think you can be sure of getting it with the extra track, but if it's from an Asian site I'd say there's a fair chance).

i gt it from cdwow as a japanese import region 0. it plays fine on my dvd player. it doesnt hav darkshines on it. also if ur fussy and like good collectors packaging and stuff, then u mite like to kno tht th jap import is just an ordinary plastic box, not a card fold out thingy. i didnt kno this wen i bought it at th time and was quite shocked. but then i did pay £9 for it so i cant really complain.

"my opinion is... who cares?"

I knew somebody would try to be clever and put that. I did state in the post that I'm not being pedantic, I was just wondering why these things in the DVD happen. If you don't care, go, instead of throwing your weight about.

Sorry, but that bloody annoys me.

Right, that's that done! Yeah, it's funny 'cause just after I posted that message, I told someone on my MSN list about it and they said it was filmed on two nights. I didn't see that on the back of the box. Hehe. That's interesting that... no wonder the DVD is so insanely amazing. God, think how much footage there would be to edit - Think it's about 14 cameras (including mini-cameras - 10 manned cameras), x90 minutes, x2 nights. 42 hours of footage.

Thanks for the answer to the mysssstererryryry

Out of interest, which Asian website did you get it from? I was hoping to get the Japanese version (with Darkshines) but I've only seen it for about $55 on cdjapan.co.jp, which is quite a lot. It was £8.99 on CD-WOW back last year but I didn't get it then (I don't think you can be sure of getting it with the extra track, but if it's from an Asian site I'd say there's a fair chance).

No darkshines... but i got the Cd to so i still can hear darkshines.. It was only 8 bucks! i was in shock! with S+H it was 12 such a great deal. and i dont remember the website.. I got it off a link from the boards..

The reason I was looking so carefully is because I've yet to play Space Dementia live, so I was writing down EXACTLY what Matt does on the piano, and conflictions arose, basically. Plus, I noticed that half of it was out of sync, in passing.

i gt it from cdwow as a japanese import region 0. it plays fine on my dvd player. it doesnt hav darkshines on it. also if ur fussy and like good collectors packaging and stuff, then u mite like to kno tht th jap import is just an ordinary plastic box, not a card fold out thingy. i didnt kno this wen i bought it at th time and was quite shocked. but then i did pay £9 for it so i cant really complain.

No darkshines... but i got the Cd to so i still can hear darkshines.. It was only 8 bucks! i was in shock! with S+H it was 12 such a great deal. and i dont remember the website.. I got it off a link from the boards..

Thanks for the info guys...looks like I might have to make do with getting the normal one.

Archived