Muse Genre Survey

Hi everyone,

For my research paper in my English class we're allowed to choose what topic we wanted to do, and I, deciding to challenge myself, picked the research question of "What genre are Muse?". Part of this project requires that we use primary sources, and that includes surveys, so I ask that you complete this survey based on how you interpret genres for both albums and individual songs (only the albums are required, each individual song is optional and can be skipped). It's a bit long, but includes all seven albums and nearly every b-side. I feel that the muse.mu forum is the best place to gather data considering how knowledgable the majority of the members are about the band.

https://ariel66.typeform.com/to/uyFCWy

Please let me know if you think I can do anything to change it to make it better or easier to understand.

It'll be interesting to see how specific people get.

I've gotten a few amusing responses so far, especially in the 'other section' for some, Panic Station had a particularly amusing response from one person on the forums (this was also posted on tumblr). I plan on making some form of pie graphs once I've collected enough overall data, as well as specifics from just the forums responses as well as responses from tumblr. The paper is due...sometime in May I think? Possibly late April, I don't have the handout with me. But I should have finished responses by then, I'd think. If people want I can send over the finished paper as well :D.

(also thanks to all who have completed so far, I've gotten a lot of responses from the forums like I had hoped for)

I've gotten a few amusing responses so far, especially in the 'other section' for some, Panic Station had a particularly amusing response from one person on the forums (this was also posted on tumblr). I plan on making some form of pie graphs once I've collected enough overall data, as well as specifics from just the forums responses as well as responses from tumblr. The paper is due...sometime in May I think? Possibly late April, I don't have the handout with me. But I should have finished responses by then, I'd think. If people want I can send over the finished paper as well :D.

(also thanks to all who have completed so far, I've gotten a lot of responses from the forums like I had hoped for)

I expect mine were quite amusing. I had difficulty with the 'classical' genre. I know most people define Western Art Music i.e.anything, it seems, which contains an orchestra, as 'classical' but all Muse's songs might become classical if they are still played decades from now.

I actually found that really difficult :LOL:

I think you were missing a genre or two. I'm not sure what tho :LOL:. Like I belong to you for example it made me think of the song and think wtf actually is this :LOL:

I think muse should be a genre in itself. When a band creates music that can't really be identified they should just say yeah its muse.

I would say as a band they are probably alternative rock as that genre is quite expansive and can mean many things.

I actually found that really difficult :LOL:

I think you were missing a genre or two. I'm not sure what tho :LOL:. Like I belong to you for example it made me think of the song and think wtf actually is this :LOL:

I think muse should be a genre in itself. When a band creates music that can't really be identified they should just say yeah its muse.

I would say as a band they are probably alternative rock as that genre is quite expansive and can mean many things.

Yeah I realized way after that I forgot pop, I mean Starlight, but i'd have to edit every single questions to do so and I've already got like 25 responses so it'd probs skew the data all weird like. Also metal, a lot of people defined some OOS and Abso stuff as some genre or subgenre of metal. This is why I included the 'other' bit :unsure:

I expect mine were quite amusing. I had difficulty with the 'classical' genre. I know most people define Western Art Music i.e.anything, it seems, which contains an orchestra, as 'classical' but all Muse's songs might become classical if they are still played decades from now.

Yeah I would put stuff like Baroque, Romantic, etc. as I do play upright bass orchestrally, it is my major, but I know a lot of people don't know the difference. I mean, Rachmaninoff and Chopin can both be argued as being Romantic, but on the other hand Saint-Saens (IBTY) can be classified as both romantic and 20th century depending on when the piece it was, so I figured using classical as a universal term would make sense for people in general, symphonic=classical. If I recall, surprisingly few people have listed USOE as being classical or having classical influences despite the heavy orchestral arranging, but the whole point of this is to find out everyone's opinions anyways, so it works out. :D

I actually had Who Knows Who on there originally, along with the Grand Omega Bosses Edit of Assassin as well as Neutron Star Collision, however, with these songs (as well as a few others) I wouldn't have been able to finish Drones' tracklisting, so Exogenesis, which was originally split into all three parts, was narrowed down to one, and I omitted some of the B-Sides.

I'll probably make some kinda google docs powerpoint with pie graphs of results just for the forum, as I obviously can't put that into a paper :)

• 1 month later...

So I handed in this 10 page monster of a paper a week after it was due (whoops) and still managed to get an 83. It's not quite what I was hoping for as an outcome (please remember I finished this at one in the morning...) and I'm going to attempt to attach the entire paper in this post. Hopefully :D. I've also attached the lit review (I got an 87 for that, yay B+) I had to do for it, so hopefully that uploads as well. Both had to be resaved as PDFs so that's a thing). Please let me know if you have any issues :)

lit review muse PDF.pdf

Research Paper #2 Muse PDF.pdf

Edited by conformingonamonday
87 not 97 whoops, I was apparently not very awake when I wrote this