Interview with Matt

kipkolibri

Surprisingly Matt comes off as pretty level-headed in that interview. He tends to come off much worse in text interviews, but I don't know if that's due to poor writing, an agenda by some interviewers, or just the natural challenges of getting meaning across through text versus face to face interaction.

What's the obsession with playing highly demanded songs at small venues where fans have such a hard time actually getting tickets...?

Play 'em where your fans actually have a fucking chance to hear them.

Also, Matt now has the exact same haircut my dad has had my entire life, and I'm really creeped out. :chuckle:

https://twitter.com/LionelVirgin/status/711676353603624960

Interesting that he admitted the production leaves the stage dark and restricts crowd energy.

Which makes him/the band not playing certain songs or complaining because of said lack of energy even more confusing. Maybe he's only just worked it out, idk. Trying to make sense of some of this stuff hurts my head sometimes.

I would hope that saying he expected French crowds to be better than the US ones, and assuming US crowds just sort of suck, and then seeing the energy levels lower than expected in France would be pretty telling.

Maybe he had to have a good long think over what the problem could *actually* be, even though it was crazy obvious to us.

I suppose you get to a point with your ego where you really believe the majority of fans are the "I just want to be in Muse's presence" fans; and they're not.

Surprisingly Matt comes off as pretty level-headed in that interview. He tends to come off much worse in text interviews, but I don't know if that's due to poor writing, an agenda by some interviewers, or just the natural challenges of getting meaning across through text versus face to face interaction.

I think most interviewers either like to paint Matt as a weirdo, or they don't get his sense of humour.

I feel like Matt is in a constant state of conflict over what type of band he wants Muse to be. When they were doing those small shows in England before the tour started, I got the vibe that deep down those gigs make him the happiest, but at the same time he's ambitious and wants to see if he can bring his crazy ideas to life. Muse are in this position now where there's nowhere else for them to go, and they seem kinda lost.

Edited by funkadelic

The interviewers knew the band pretty well, that's cool. I mean they knew about the Showbiz hashtag and asked whether Matt saw it, and apparently they've been keeping up with the setlists of the tour so far. I wish we had more interviews like this one.

The interviewers knew the band pretty well, that's cool. I mean they knew about the Showbiz hashtag and asked whether Matt saw it, and apparently they've been keeping up with the setlists of the tour so far. I wish we had more interviews like this one.

Exactly, as if it was something that kept cropping up and being asked, it definitely would spur them on (remind them) that this IS what the audience wants to hear....

I tweeted Matt about "Showbiz" just today before reading this post actually, small world!

I know it's been long going, the hashtag #showbiz but he did say before when asked "Will you play Take a Bow again" YES and the same to "Dead Star" and "Assassin", so it takes them a while sometimes but they usually eventually get round to it, but sometimes just for a one off or 2 dates!

It would be nice to see "Showbiz" in the set for the UK gig as a reward to the die hards but most importantly, it fits so well with the Drones themes and acts nicely as the sister track to "Handler" as "Citizen" and "Globalist" have often been played together.

It sounded like one of Matt's typical evasive/slightly snarky answers, tbh. I still strongly believe they planned to play it in London, and that's the reason of the single's release.

They told a fan ages ago they were "saving it" for something.

Saving "Showbiz"? When was that said again?

Aftermath

And Matt *really* seems to not want to play Showbiz.

I think hearing it on the french Radio show made him go FUCK ME, that ending would be tough! Which it would but I honestly think on a good night he could give it a blast!

If not, the riffage is still AWESOME!