• 1 month later...

Hello, I made some weeks ago a guitar inspired by the M1D1 (without the cracks) but I'm now facing a problem:

Although the sapele was supposed to be dry when I bought it, I let it dry a month more before working with it, and now the guitar is finished, it has warped (I took a ruler and the convex part is a little less than 2mm).

This wouldn't be so much of a problem, but the joint between the 2 pieces of wood is now starting to appear on relief with the mirror.

For the record, I already made a similar guitar, but the mirror was glued with neoprene, and I used epoxy (Araldite) this time.

Has anybody of you had this problem?

Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you for your answers

Once the wood has moved, there is no solution other than take it apart and plane it down and hope it doesn't move more. I'd start again with some quality tonewood from a proper instrument supplier. Sapele is usually super stable, I'm surprised it moved if it was properly dry.

Once the wood has moved, there is no solution other than take it apart and plane it down and hope it doesn't move more. I'd start again with some quality tonewood from a proper instrument supplier. Sapele is usually super stable, I'm surprised it moved if it was properly dry.

agreed, speak to these guys http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/ never had a problem with there stuff

Well, I'm surprised too, because the wood came from Madinter (in Spain), which is supposed to be a very good wood supplier...

The wood is quartersawn, that very surprising too...

Maybe the glue on the mirror made the guitar warped after drying?

Well, I'm surprised too, because the wood came from Madinter (in Spain), which is supposed to be a very good wood supplier...

The wood is quartersawn, that very surprising too...

Maybe the glue on the mirror made the guitar warped after drying?

i doubt that but it happens, unlucky i guess :-(

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'll wait the end of the summer and see what happens...

I might rebuild the guitar though after this.

Since I will never use Araldite anymore (some grain starts appearing under the mirror), what glue would be the best to use for the mirror ?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever refinish a guitar? Any tips / recommendations?

I had an old red strat I'm refinishing and upgrading pickups on. It was a red strat, so I'm doing a la hendrix monterey pop to keep some of the original feel of the guitar, at least in my mind.

Already hand painted the pickguard and have the body mostly sanded except cavities (which I'm thinking of just taping, but not sure). The paint/seal process is more what I'm interested in.

FWIW, Hendrix literally just sprayed over the guitar, with the hardware in place. There's paint spatter visible of the jack socket of the remaining fragment. So don't sweat it too much ;)

I'm aware :LOL: Not going for perfection. It was(/is?) a Squier, so I'm not going to lose much sleep over anything I botch.

FWIW, Hendrix literally just sprayed over the guitar, with the hardware in place. There's paint spatter visible of the jack socket of the remaining fragment. So don't sweat it too much ;)

Didn't he remove the pick guard at one point :ninja:

Didn't he remove the pick guard at one point :ninja:

It appears that way, as the pickguard seems to have been a sprayed over white. It was a celluloid w/b/w three ply originally. I assume that was off when he did the re-spray, but I can't say with any certainty, I can't tell from any of the images or video remaining.

Also, why doesn't James90 have a Monterey yet?

It appears that way, as the pickguard seems to have been a sprayed over white. It was a celluloid w/b/w three ply originally. I assume that was off when he did the re-spray, but I can't say with any certainty, I can't tell from any of the images or video remaining.

Also, why doesn't James90 have a Monterey yet?

Were all pickguards back then 3-ply?

And because they haven't released the new #details version yet, and I don't want to pay $20k or whatever for the CS version with the backstage pass on the back.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd has one of the CS ones, but I got the impression that the neck was replaced as it has a reverse headstock. I have a video of him playing it from a few years back actually. I'll have to send it to you sometime. :nerd:

The Monterey (red one) was a 63/64, so yeah it would have had the nitro 3ply guard as standard I believe.

It definitely had a three ply on in the earlier photos, and the shots from Monterey show that the pickguard is thicker and bevelled, which the single ply guards were not, so it's reasonable to assume that it's just a painted 'mint' guard.

I don't think there will ever be a #details version at this point, especially with the fingerboard wood change. You're probably better off doing a custom.

Would anyone be able to recommend a bandsaw for guitar building?

Is a budget of £200 realistic?

You'll get a good second hand one for that. I'd be looking at a 2x wheel 10" or 12", but you'd need to pay a bit more if you're buying new. The Clarke ones are pretty good value.

Top tip is to get the biggest most powerful one you can, so you don't need to upgrade in the future.

Hi guys!

I have a question for you.

I want to replace my sustainiac which I don't like at all I have full of worries with it.

In the ideal I would need single driver of fernandes sustainer 401 with the PCB of the fsk 101 kit.

Do you think it can work?

thanks guys

The Fernandes FSK single driver will fit the same pickup route, but it's generally regarded as inferior sounding, so think hard if you really want to do the swap.

You can buy the fsk 101 board and 401 driver as a set for around £150 direct from Fernandes.

Archived