Have they ever used older songs on their new albums? Other than the obvious, writing a song around an old riff. I really never thought about that.

If i remember correctly, Take a Bow was composed at the same time of Absolution

Really didn't need the whistling at the start of The Globalist. The bit where the singing comes in is great, though, and it transitioned nicely. The heavy section is insane, so why in the fuck did they cut it so short? Love the choir, too. The piano ballad ending for Citizen Erased worked because by the time they get to it the bulk of the song feels like it's reached its natural conclusion. This is so forced.

One has to ask why on earth they didn't just carry on playing noisy Handler-style things for the final 3 minutes instead of a safe piano ballad. I think it would have fitted the theme just as well... Heck, since its basically the "prechorus" of Helsinki Jam why not just carry it on into the main body of the jam, the heavy plugged notes would have been awesome. It would have been incredibly fun for them to play live too... There's nothing to lose!

One has to ask why on earth they didn't just carry on playing noisy Handler-style things for the final 3 minutes instead of a safe piano ballad. I think it would have fitted the theme just as well... Heck, since its basically the "prechorus" of Helsinki Jam why not just carry it on into the main body of the jam, the heavy plugged notes would have been awesome. It would have been incredibly fun for them to play live too... There's nothing to lose!

Because Matt wanted CE2, but missed almost everything of what makes CE great

Okay, so I listened to the album... been away, just got back to this muse business.

The Handler is excellent fits perfectly wiht songs like Dead Star or futurism

Defector is pretty good too, I find it's the perfect dose of queen in a muse song, also love the solo.

Revolt... Lolwut sounds like taylor swift, catchy but just shocking I have no opinions.

Aftermath sounds like a great song at the beginning with the hendrix style tones, but then the end happens and it just becomes a better version of NSC

The Globalist is also just odd. listenign to it is an adventure: i like the whistling/slide guitar part, but then it just a little cheese when the vocals come in untill the badass riff redeems it, but it's cut short and they end it like Aftermath and it's just a little disappointing considering its hype.

And Drones is weird, but I find it works very well as a closer to the album as a whole and after listening to the whole thing it just seems to fit and overall kinda neat.

So... yeah those are my opinions. Sorry if I'm late/not relevant, but yeah, wanted to post.

But I feel like by forcing the concept into what they'd already written it A) doesn't quite mesh all the time, and B) makes them less likely to ditch a song if it's naff.

I thought that was Mercy.

For some reason it's stuck in my head that it was Revolt, but maybe it was Mercy.

I DO remember those reviews that said it was the best, though.

Where's that kid that's got all the interviews compiled...

There's a faster version of Revolt they recorded but they dropped the speed to make it more jolly, I guess!

For me the speed is not the problem, i find the song so cheesy, especially that "you can revolt" part... oh my god :D

I really like the melody of JFK though, but the way it was played on Defector not so much...

Reapers and The Handler are both awesome.

Defector, Psycho, Mercy and Dead Inside are okay. They're nothing special but you can't not like them.

Revolt is embarrassing.

Aftermath is boring.

Drones is a joke.

The biggest let down was The Globalist. The riff that kicks in half way through has so much potential to be a kick ass song and the rest of what I heard just completely ruined it.

Overall album score is a 3 out of 5 at most.

Yeah, for sure. It just feels like a very safe move from them, or like they were too focused on making it the prog nightmare they claim it was, when really it's just your regular run of the mill nightmare.

So I was listening to The Globalist for the first time with my girlfriend. Got to the heavy guitar part and after about 20 seconds she looked at me with disgust and said:

"Can you fast forward it please"

:LOL:

Time to break up

I don't think he really knows what he wants at all!

I think this is the biggest problem of this album and this band lately. I couldn't help thinking this listening to the whole second part of the album. Up to JFK it is great. Then it just goes everywhere and gets nowhere. Whatever. I am just disappointed because the first part of the album showed that they are still capable of making great MUSE music. And then it's like the second part of the album they took the Queen-shaped mushrooms or LSD and went ape-shit again. Enough already. Can't they just focus?