If Drones was made from existing songs...

leggless

So to pass the time waiting for the album, I made a playlist replacing the Drones tracklisting with existing studio songs. It's based on recordings, reports and in some cases just guess work. I've tried to keep them close (whilst I recognise the futility of this exercise) , but hey... It's a bit of fun and makes for an interesting listen!

Madness (=Dead Inside)

Intro (=Drill sergeant)

Yes Please (=Psycho)

Starlight (=Mercy)

Newborn (=Reapers)

Showbiz (=The Handler)

Prelude (=Jfk)

Uprising (=Defector)

Invincible (=Revolt)

Endlessly (=Aftermath)

Hoodoo + Citizen Erased (=The Globalist)

Muscle Museum #2 [intro] (=Drones)

That would have been not a bad album in it's own right... Looking forward to the proper album!

So to pass the time waiting for the album, I made a playlist replacing the Drones tracklisting with existing studio songs. It's based on recordings, reports and in some cases just guess work. I've tried to keep them close (whilst I recognise the futility of this exercise) , but hey... It's a bit of fun and makes for an interesting listen!

Madness (=Dead Inside)

Intro (=Drill sergeant)

Yes Please (=Psycho)

Starlight (=Mercy)

Newborn (=Reapers)

Showbiz (=The Handler)

Prelude (=Jfk)

Uprising (=Defector)

Invincible (=Revolt)

Endlessly (=Aftermath)

That would have been not a bad album in it's own right... Looking forward to the proper album!

I love Endlessly so if Aftermath sounds similar...It will be great!

Madness (=Dead Inside)

Intro (=Drill sergeant)

Yes Please (=Psycho)

Starlight (=Mercy)

Newborn (=Reapers)

Showbiz (=The Handler)

Prelude (=Jfk)

Uprising (=Defector)

Invincible (=Revolt)

Endlessly (=Aftermath)

Endlessly

We Are The Universe (studio exists im sure because they made it... just unreleased :p)

Uprising

Easily

Knights

Dead Star (although it's a Showbiz successor all signs point to it being insanely heavy)

Interlude

New Born

Stockholm Syndrome

Exogenesis III

Citizen Erased

Isolated System

He's bsing. He's referring to the Making Of, there's no other clips we have of that besides the Instagram one.

Oh man. I spent a day without checking the news and thought I had lost something. Thanks for that.

Well 7:49 is just the band talking, no music.

Where are you hearing this on sterogum?

Then I don't know what he's talking about. It obviously isn't on Stereogum otherwise everyone would have heard it already and been talking about it too.

So far...

Pyscho is definitely Uprising 2.0

Dead Inside is a mashup of Undisclosed desires and the endings from Resistance/Madness

Mercy is an early demo version of Starlight

Reapers is the logical continuation of one of those Newton Abbot demo tracks if Muse had never become successful and were still copying RATM songs.

So far...

Pyscho is definitely Uprising 2.0

Dead Inside is a mashup of Undisclosed desires and the endings from Resistance/Madness

Mercy is an early demo version of Starlight

Reapers is the logical continuation of one of those Newton Abbot demo tracks if Muse had never become successful and were still copying RATM songs.

Oh I spot a particularly angry comment! Nah, I can see where you're coming from, but here's my thinking:

Psycho: No synths. Yeah, similar tempo, tuning, key and shuffle rhythm, but everything else is different. Riff, lyrics, harmonic progression, solo.

Dead Inside: I don't really like this one, but what's similar with UD? Drum beat, somewhat similar. Everything else, not so much.

Mercy: Only similarities would be major key, piano-synth-bell instrument (the rhythm is very different to the Starlight one, however), and the use of distorted bass and a constant bass drum beat. Synth arpeggios as well. Heck, you can have this one - there are a lot of similarities, but I wouldn't call it an early demo of Starlight - I prefer this to Starlight probably because of a more distinct chorus, groovy bassline and splendid outro.

Reapers: Ooiiii hahaha I'd say more ACDC, if anything. The solo, however, is a mix of the playings of Petrucci (Dream Theater) and Morello (RATM), so fair enough to bring up RATM there.

Reapers is actually a fairly technical song in the genre of rock - just read about it on the Musewiki page, talking about chromatic movements, unstable tonal centres, using modes and the liking.

Oh I spot a particularly angry comment! Nah, I can see where you're coming from, but here's my thinking:

Psycho: No synths. Yeah, similar tempo, tuning, key and shuffle rhythm, but everything else is different. Riff, lyrics, harmonic progression, solo.

Someone did do a mashup of them very shortly after it came out and it did sound pretty cool for something put together very quickly...

Dead Inside: I don't really like this one, but what's similar with UD? Drum beat, somewhat similar. Everything else, not so much.

Yeah drumbeat is angry version of UD, and distorted octave bass riff/rhythm is similar to the slap bass octaves in UD

Mercy: Only similarities would be major key, piano-synth-bell instrument (the rhythm is very different to the Starlight one, however), and the use of distorted bass and a constant bass drum beat. Synth arpeggios as well. Heck, you can have this one - there are a lot of similarities, but I wouldn't call it an early demo of Starlight - I prefer this to Starlight probably because of a more distinct chorus, groovy bassline and splendid outro.

Fair enough.

Reapers: Ooiiii hahaha I'd say more ACDC, if anything. The solo, however, is a mix of the playings of Petrucci (Dream Theater) and Morello (RATM), so fair enough to bring up RATM there.

Reapers is actually a fairly technical song in the genre of rock - just read about it on the Musewiki page, talking about chromatic movements, unstable tonal centres, using modes and the liking.

Yeah it is pretty technical by Muse standards, probably more so than Animals. Ok maybe it is quite a mix of classic rock and different guitarists, but I think perhaps the RATM style outro (I'm fairly sure this will be in the studio version as well, not just a live thing) is a bit excessive when there is already a Morello homage in the guitar solo.

:)

DI=UD+Madness

[DS]=Intro

Psycho=Obvious similarities w/Uprising + the riffage of YP/Agitated

Mercy=Starlight

Reapers=SS+Matt's offhand live guitar bits

TH=Showbiz+Animals

[JFK]=Interlude+JFK speech from early 60s

Defector=B&H/Survival+AP/TaB

Revolt=Assassin+KoC+US

Aftermath=RbS/IS+Redemption at the end

TG=CE+Survival

Drones=IS 2.0 or Fury+Futurism (minus the word "drone" or any form of it ;) )

• 1 month later...

Dead Inside-Madness

[Drill Sergeant]-Intro

Psycho-Uprising (Yes Please was a good answer I now realize)

Mercy-Starlight

Reapers-Stockholm Syndrome

The Handler-Fury

[JFK]-Interlude

Defector-Unnatural Selection

Revolt-Supermassive Black Hole

Aftermath-Unintended

The Globalist-New Born+United States of Eurasia

Drones-Prelude