DB does NOT rock. Its bad. Its a cheat. It's just loud noise. I'm yet to hear a song that uses a double pedal well! :LOL:

I have: Breaking Benjamin. Example songs: Diary of Jane and the one on the Halo 2 soundtrack. I'm almost a convert.

Here's what you could do:

Get all toms as rack toms, get a double tom holder and a cymbal stand with an included tom holder. That way you could put the double tom holder in front of you and the cymbal stand to your right, or the cymbal stand in front of you and the double tom holder to your right, thus switching between 1/2 and 2/1.

These are the thingies I mean:

108909.jpg and 176709.jpg

All my toms are on racks, even stand appropriate sizes and I hate it. Having legs is so much more convenient and rigid, too.

Picture it being played on double bass instead of toms and it will have exactly the same effect, sound and feel.

So if that be the case what exactly is the inclination to use one over the other? If you need to use two limbs two bass drums will be undeniably smoother. Smoother may not be the effect you're after, it's not what I'm after. I want texture.

BTW, the start of Cave doesn't count as double bass because it's piss to do it on a single even without any special technique.

Dare I say it but imho I think the 1 up 2 down just makes a kit look that bit erm...cooler...as well. It can also give you a slightly better presence on stage as well if you play in a group, you don't get hidden behind your toms quite so much......which could be an important factor....to us vain ones

I used to agree but now I think 2 up 1 down looks far cooler, I think it's a better config, too. For anyone who hasn't yet, I really suggest you try two toms right in front of you (not two over the bass, one over the bass and one to the left with an offset gap for the ride still). To be able to access two toms with very little upper arm movement was revolutionary for me. Plus I hate having to turn to reach stuff, laziness I guess.

Ah yeah, more than likely. :D My hardware is arse but I'm slowly replacing it with Tama Roadpro stuff (my job is recently making it difficult to find time).

I guess the concept is tenable with decent hardware but I don't see why you would: having legs is always going to be more stable and easier to setup/teardown.

I guess the concept is tenable with decent hardware but I don't see why you would: having legs is always going to be more stable and easier to setup/teardown.

You can put rack toms pretty much wherever you want to. But yeah, it doesn't seem as stable. One might argue that the shell of a floor tom doesn't vibrate the same way as that of a rack tom? (I have two floor toms btw and am very content with them)

I think if you have a rack, rack toms would be as easy to setup as floor toms though.

You can put rack toms pretty much wherever you want to. But yeah, it doesn't seem as stable. One might argue that the shell of a floor tom doesn't vibrate the same way as that of a rack tom? (I have two floor toms btw and am very content with them)

I think if you have a rack, rack toms would be as easy to setup as floor toms though.

If you have a rack I think it'd be even easier, but I see rack owners as pretty full on people who probably know what they want anyway.

I keep my rig small and so a rack is unnecessary (and unsightly, IMO).

Anyway; it's new cymbal time and I'm set on this fairly eclectic mix:

14" Sabian AA Flat hats (natural finish)

18" Paiste Signature Full crash

19" Paiste 2oo2 crash

22" Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark II ride

16" Meinl Generation X Filter china

I've tried the New Sig ride and I love it but I'm worried about the volume: it's almost $130 more expensive than the 2oo2 ride but alot quieter and lower pitched. I'm concerned about being stuck with a godly ride that no-one will be able to hear above the band.

Agreed.

Holy shitballs they're legends.

If you have a rack I think it'd be even easier, but I see rack owners as pretty full on people who probably know what they want anyway.

I keep my rig small and so a rack is unnecessary (and unsightly, IMO).

Anyway; it's new cymbal time and I'm set on this fairly eclectic mix:

14" Sabian AA Flat hats (natural finish)

18" Paiste Signature Full crash

19" Paiste 2oo2 crash

22" Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark II ride

16" Meinl Generation X Filter china

I've tried the New Sig ride and I love it but I'm worried about the volume: it's almost $130 more expensive than the 2oo2 ride but alot quieter and lower pitched. I'm concerned about being stuck with a godly ride that no-one will be able to hear above the band.

Holy shitballs they're legends.

only 16 inches worth of china?

I don't really like the "china" sound, that thing doesn't sound like a china, it sounds like a stack with sustain and VOLUME. It's fantastic. The only thing I ever use a china for is a big ending, like:

Wanky rolls around kit then

Crash-Crash then

Crash-Crash then

Crash-China (and roll on them continuously for a bit)

and I can't justify a 20" or 22" cymbal purchase just for that.

I changed my setup to look more like the drum sets of Dom and Adam Carson (AFI), and have since added better equipment.

Tama Superstar SK

Bass: 18 x 22"

Snare: 7 1/2 x 13" Pork Pie Little Squealer

Toms: 9 x 12",

Floor Toms: 14 x 14", 16 x 16"

Cymbals

Sabian: 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride, 14" XS20 Hi-Hats, 18" AA Chinese, 6" Pro Splash. 10" Autograph Splash

Zildjian: 18" A Medium Crash, 18" A Medium-Thin Crash

Hardware

Heads: Evans Coated G1, Aquarian Super 2s, Evans G2 Clear, Aquarian Superkick I, Aquarian Regulator w/ port hole

Slingerland Hi-Hat Pedal

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Bass Pedal (Black and White cams)

Tama Cymbal Stand (2x)

Groove Percussion Boom Cymbal Stand

PDP Boom Cymbal Stand

Slingerland Straight Cymbal Stand

Tama Fast Clamp

Lug Locks

Vater 5B Nude Drumsticks

Videos can be viewed here

frontkr7.jpg

upperfrontpa2.jpg

snarems9.jpg

sidehj8.jpg

hhsidehd3.jpg

Thats a lot of Cymbals! :p

And about double bass being good, I don't know if Neil Peart uses a DP in the actual songs but, have you seen

pretty much everything after the 6 minute mark is my favourite part of the solo. Although I'm willing to admit that the only time I've heard a good Double bass is when listening to A Neil Peart Solo.

Thats a lot of Cymbals! :p

And about double bass being good, I don't know if Neil Peart uses a DP in the actual songs but, have you seen

pretty much everything after the 6 minute mark is my favourite part of the solo. Although I'm willing to admit that the only time I've heard a good Double bass is when listening to A Neil Peart Solo.

Yes, I certainly like cymbals! I think I have just about enough though...maybe another decent sized splash.

As for Neil using double bass, give this a watch : One Little Victory. Its one rockin' song!

Sorry... but i've forgot the cymbals!! :$

- K custom special dry hi hats (14")

- A custom splash 8"

- A custom splash 10"

- K custom dark crash thin 18"

- K dark crash medium thin 18"

- Oriental China "trash" 18"

- K custom high definition ride 22"

- Rithm Tech "The Crasher" 14"

- Drumstick: custom, made for me! :)

Drumhead's

- Tom & Tymps: Batter -> Remo Emperor