using double bass and using bass and floor tom are completely different. think of the sound difference.

basically, double bass is not cheating, it's just another way of using the bass drum. if you take it out of the muse context, because funnily enough we don't just play muse songs around here, it's a great little invention.

using double bass and using bass and floor tom are completely different. think of the sound difference.

To an able drummer - yes. the sound is so amazingly different how can anyone comprehend the fact that deep drums and a bass can sound the same. :rolleyes:

To a member of the public, an audience member, or listener - they're just deep drum hits that sound the same regardless of what drum is being hit.

if you take it out of the muse context, because funnily enough we don't just play muse songs around here, it's a great little invention.

No! :eek: Really!

I use a muse context because thats what were all familiar with.

...What board are we on again? :erm:

To an able drummer - yes. the sound is so amazingly different how can anyone comprehend the fact that deep drums and a bass can sound the same. :rolleyes:

To a member of the public, an audience member, or listener - they're just deep drum hits that sound the same regardless of what drum is being hit.

...What thread are we in again? :p

...What board are we on again? :erm:

And some people I know can't tell the difference between a ride and a high hat. :LOL: RIDE! CHEATING!

But I'm pretty sure most people would be able to tell the difference between toms and a bass drum, actually... Well, if they can tell or not, it has a different effect anyway, regardless!

I think I'm going to record the beginning of Cave with both a tom and double bass.

Do it with a single! :eek:

...What thread are we in again? :p

aaahhhh touché! ;):LOL:

adam, don't get so defensive.

Im just replying to sarcasm...with sarcasm

And some people I know can't tell the difference between a ride and a high hat. :LOL: RIDE! CHEATING!

Loloo11lol ...but there is clearly a distinct sound difference between the two.

You could (and probably will) argue that "there is a distinct difference between a floor tom and bass drum"...

but the difference between those is a lot smaller than that of a ride and hi hat!!

They are both similar. Both of them are a deep percussive sound.

But I'm pretty sure most people would be able to tell the difference between toms and a bass drum,

Yeah if you were to pin them down and say: "right.....is this a bass drum of floor tom? *bashes drum*"

But mixed in with a song and played at speed - like the intro to cave again - then average joe wont be able to!

actually... Well, if they can tell or not, it has a different effect anyway, regardless!

It doesnt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4OAd1MzFv0

right at the end in the outtro jamming (4.54) you see and hear him using the floor tom and then single bass drum to achieve a double bass flam sound.

The difference between the two drums is indistinguishable.

This concludes my debate. Ive expressed my views and physically shown you examples to support what I'm saying.

If you want to use a double pedal fine go ahead - im gonna stick to my single and floor toms. :)

Re: Industry vocals...

Was reading some of the comments, and I just wanted to say that I didn't think the vocals were that bad at all. :) He just sings a different style compared to Matt (Bellamy) and when you're doing a cover...you don't necessarily *want* to sound like the original, so yeah...not bad really. I enjoyed the whole thing over all. Vocals and instrumental parts. :)

I didn't know you were a farmer url removed

I Arrrr! :LOL::LOL:

Re: Industry vocals...

Was reading some of the comments, and I just wanted to say that I didn't think the vocals were that bad at all. :) He just sings a different style compared to Matt (Bellamy) and when you're doing a cover...you don't necessarily *want* to sound like the original, so yeah...not bad really. I enjoyed the whole thing over all. Vocals and instrumental parts. :)

Exactly! You've got it spot on!

Singing like Matt Bellamy is pretty much impossible because he has admitted himself that he has female-like vocal chords.

He is therefore a freak! haha

I think what OUR matt did was really good and gave it our own 'stamp' if you will.

...As opposed to making a cover that is note-for-note, pitch-for-pitch exactly the same..which to me would be boring!

You might as well watch MUSE perform if you wanna watch that! :LOL:

So yeah! Cheers! :D

I can too... but I'm a chick, so... :LOL:

Well I've almost got enough money to purchase a Tama Superstar set. :eek: But I'm wondering if I should get a 2 up 1 down set or a 1 up 2 down... Currently I have my kit set up as 1 up 2 down, but I'm thinking that a 2 up 1 down would fit with more styles of music, rather than just rock/metal... as much as I love my current set up. :stunned:

What do you guys think?

Here's what you could do:

Get all toms as rack toms, get a double tom holder and a cymbal stand with an included tom holder. That way you could put the double tom holder in front of you and the cymbal stand to your right, or the cymbal stand in front of you and the double tom holder to your right, thus switching between 1/2 and 2/1.

These are the thingies I mean:

108909.jpg and 176709.jpg

Zilcho's idea sounds good as it will give you flexibility.

I switched from 2 up 1 down to 1 up 2 down a year ago and am now sticking that way. Not sure if it would limit certain styles of playing but I really now prefer it that way.

Dare I say it but imho I think the 1 up 2 down just makes a kit look that bit erm...cooler...as well. It can also give you a slightly better presence on stage as well if you play in a group, you don't get hidden behind your toms quite so much......which could be an important factor....to us vain ones :D

Zilcho's idea sounds good as it will give you flexibility.

I switched from 2 up 1 down to 1 up 2 down a year ago and am now sticking that way. Not sure if it would limit certain styles of playing but I really now prefer it that way.

Dare I say it but imho I think the 1 up 2 down just makes a kit look that bit erm...cooler...as well. It can also give you a slightly better presence on stage as well if you play in a group, you don't get hidden behind your toms quite so much......which could be an important factor....to us vain ones :D

Agreed. I like having two floor toms, you can do some deep sounding stuff with them. I have 2 tom toms and 2 floor toms, but my 2nd tom isn't being used, I like being able to position the one close and bring the ride in closer.