Guys,

Look at this...

dombass.jpg

This is the KOC performance on the recent Abbey Road Muse episode.

I have it on sky HD on a 43 inch plasma where I can pause and freeze pretty much the dog knackers so you can take it that I have confidence in confirming without doubt this......

1) There is no Double Bass

2) Doms right leg continues to do the same movement as in the Reading vids thoughout the song

2.5) Dom ties his laces in a tradition English single bow... he he

3)...and this may be of interest to Adam...during the heel toe section ie the first part of the song with the "Galloping" bass line he appears to play a double hit and then a SINGLE hit on the bass ie a duh duh.....duh.......duh duh.....duh.....and not just doubles as per your tab (there is no bass hit on the snare hit)

I hate to contradict you mate as you are a true Dom ambassador but honestly that is what he appears to play. I have even learnt to heel toe it and it does sound right. The clip is only short but you can deff see his toe come down to play the note with the heel up and then his heel stays up whilst he comes down again to play the next hit.

Pop round me house anytime and have a ganders..:) you can even have a bash on me rubber kit :D

Cheers

3)...and this may be of interest to Adam...during the heel toe section ie the first part of the song with the "Galloping" bass line he appears to play a double hit and then a SINGLE hit on the bass ie a duh duh.....duh.......duh duh.....duh.....and not just doubles as per your tab (there is no bass hit on the snare hit)

Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounds like snare + bass in the studio version, but not live.

1) There is no Double Bass

2) Doms right leg continues to do the same movement as in the Reading vids thoughout the song

:yesey:

2.5) Dom ties his laces in a tradition English single bow... he he
haha good observation my man! :LOL:

The clip is only short but you can deff see his toe come down to play the note with the heel up and then his heel stays up whilst he comes down again to play the next hit.

The only bit where you can see his foot like in that picture is when he's NOT playing the 'gallopping beat' lol.

That screen shot was taken at a point where its a single bass hit when he hits the open hi-hat cymbal (aka MOTP drum fill). So yes, what you're seeing is him playing singles at that moment in time, but he isn't playing the 'gallopping beat' then.

The bit your'e seeing is this:

"...falls asleep on the job....*single + open hat* - *single + open hat* - *regular beat*..but how can we win when fools......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_XyaSvRdk8 - 2.14

Throughout the rest of the song you can hear the double bass strokes. If only the camera man would film through the drum during the 'gallopping beat' - he would make my life SO much easier :LOL:

I hate to contradict you mate as you are a true Dom ambassador but honestly that is what he appears to play. I have even learnt to heel toe it and it does sound right.

It sounds right because in theory, that is what he's playing. The bass and the snare are hit at the same time but because the snare has a much louder pitch to the bass it 'overrides' it and makes it seem as though its not there.

]Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounds like snare + bass in the studio version, but not live.

Nope. He plays it live too.

Here is the best quality video of the live double bass action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJMOY4K7Ro

0.53-0.54 and 0.58-1.01 you can see the bass drum pedal and the resonating skin moving twice.

Pop round me house anytime and have a ganders..:) you can even have a bash on me rubber kit :D

Cheers

No need! :D But thanks! :D

And completely off topic - check this guys assassin out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLcwWXBM3o - he's playing it wrong ;) but its good! look at how he spins his stick! tis whockad! :D

....Tho he's gonna break something playing like that! :LOL:

That guy's technique seems pretty shocking, a tad too aggressive.:p And yeah, he was wrong lots =/

haha yeah - i was like:

"ooh - someone else has done assassin...lets have a look"

and yeah....KILL those drums! :erm:

but i did like the stick spinning! :D

Bollocks...am I going to have to stand corrected then on that KOC stuff ???....well I was right about the lack of double pedals....oh..and the shoe laces :D

Must admit I soo looked forward to that Abbey Road and then was a total anti climax due to the shite camera work and direction. In an environment like that it would have been perfect to really see them and their techniques but all we got was wobbly out of focus shots and completely fck'n missed all Dom's decent fills etc.

Anyway...enough of my wingin.....oooh look.....Dom's Drums 100th page woohoo:LOL:

Bollocks...am I going to have to stand corrected then on that KOC stuff ???....well I was right about the lack of double pedals....oh..and the shoe laces :D p
:D

Must admit I soo looked forward to that Abbey Road and then was a total anti climax due to the shite camera work and direction. In an environment like that it would have been perfect to really see them and their techniques but all we got was wobbly out of focus shots and completely fck'n missed all Dom's decent fills etc.

God tell me about it. Same here - the previews looked REALLY good - lots of close up camera work etc.

But then we get a shot of chris' wrist....matts braces and face.....and doms cymbal :LOL:

Gutted!

Anyway...enough of my wingin.....oooh look.....Dom's Drums 100th page woohoo:LOL:

Yippeee! :D

(Its page 38 on my pc....but i have it set at 50 posts per page or something silly)

Niles, I like your sig, i've lost that article, could you link me? They have a new drummer now :-( but I saw them live with Jon Theodore!

It's great to read articles by Jon and Juan on each other because they had such enormous respect for each others capabilities.

Jon on Juan: http://www.ink19.com/issues/june2004/interviews/marsVolta.html

Juan on Jon: http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=5325

*double disproof*

Ok, I's wrong.

Yep. Great. We all know he used it on hullabaloo.

And Absolution (not the DVD).

It's great to read articles by Jon and Juan on each other because they had such enormous respect for each others capabilities.

Yeh, that's 'cos they're both so amazing at their instruments! Fiends. That's how a rythm section should be! Thanks for the links.

HH|--x---x---x---x-|--x---x---x---x-|               
SN|----x-------x---|----x-------x-xx|
BD|x--xx--xx--xx--x|x--xx--xx--xx--x| 

Im in the middle of making the full tab - but its taking a while and i have a lot of other stuff to do....lol

Damn, really? I didn't really notice the double pedal hits and assumed he was using the Gong Bass drum in the few measures before the first verse. Now I hear it and need smaller feet to heel and toe. Can anyone point me to a good description of the slide technique.

Damn, really? I didn't really notice the double pedal hits and assumed he was using the Gong Bass drum in the few measures before the first verse. Now I hear it and need smaller feet to heel and toe. Can anyone point me to a good description of the slide technique.

Theres a few youtube videos explaining it - but it's just a case of practicing all the time to ensure that you DO do double strokes but your not moving your foot too much (otherwise you'll miss the pedal).

Its taking me quite a while but im getting there. :)