I feel like I should know this, but why does that end bit on defector sound so familiar? Feel like I've heard them play that before. Starting at 10:35.

The instagram clip with "the guitar amp in another room" that someone tried to tab and play a few variations of what it looked like? He didn't get that close but there is a bit that is similar.

The instagram clip with "the guitar amp in another room" that someone tried to tab and play a few variations of what it looked like? He didn't get that close but there is a bit that is similar.

That is totally it :LOL:. His version was a lot heavier, but still, impressive that he got close enough for me to vaguely mistake it for the actual thing.

This is awesome, I'm really liking Defector now. Back on the hype train I go!

Yes, watching Matt's fingers in the "guitar amp..." clip makes it seem even more likely that this is the same thing. Running the audio from the leak and the video from the IG clip together makes it look pretty close a match.

A friend of mine linked me to this earlier and commented that he thinks the guys look "fed up" in this video.

I didn't really think like that. If they are then I assumed it was because Mutt was working them to the bone. Did anyone else think they looked fed up?

what he is fretting definitely doesn't match up to what he's fretting in the insta video. So there is a lot more to this riff that we havent heard.

What he's playing in the wide shot of the full band and what is being played as the audio really seems to match what he's doing with his fingers in the instagram clip to me! The clip in the leak right afterwards, of Matt on his own, doesn't however seem to match the audio being played at the same time.

To me, at least. I suspect you're right and what I'm saying here is pointless.

A friend of mine linked me to this earlier and commented that he thinks the guys look "fed up" in this video.

I didn't really think like that. If they are then I assumed it was because Mutt was working them to the bone. Did anyone else think they looked fed up?

They were just a bit tired at times because Mutt made them work a lot on the same song over and over to get the best take possible. Certainly not "fed up".

I agree with your friend. I wouldn't say these sessions were necessarily negative (so I dunno about the phrase "fed up") but it was probably very tiring not being on their own schedule for producing as they have been on the last 2 albums. But those kind of frustrating sessions can be the best – Radiohead's (lol) In Rainbows was full of those and it's one of their best albums in my opinion

So far, so good. I'm curious on how the heavy part/Morricone part/piano balad part will fit in the song. And Defector sounds good too. I'm definitely too hyped for this album :)

Off-topic, but I laughed a lot when Matt does the "psssshhhh" part and Chris is headbanging to it :LOL::LOL:

What he's playing in the wide shot of the full band and what is being played as the audio really seems to match what he's doing with his fingers in the instagram clip to me! The clip in the leak right afterwards, of Matt on his own, doesn't however seem to match the audio being played at the same time.

To me, at least. I suspect you're right and what I'm saying here is pointless.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted that lol. So I deleted the post you quoted haha. But good catch.I got thrown off by the clip of Matt playing and it semi matched but now I notice that he's actually playing what we have in the other instagram clip with the tremolo whammy action. The more recent clip.

They were just a bit tired at times because Mutt made them work a lot on the same song over and over to get the best take possible. Certainly not "fed up".

I agree with your friend. I wouldn't say these sessions were necessarily negative (so I dunno about the phrase "fed up") but it was probably very tiring not being on their own schedule for producing as they have been on the last 2 albums. But those kind of frustrating sessions can be the best – Radiohead's (lol) In Rainbows was full of those and it's one of their best albums in my opinion

Yeah just as I thought, more tired than anything else. 31 takes on the same song would probably get boring very quickly.

Yeah just as I thought, more tired than anything else. 31 takes on the same song would probably get boring very quickly.

Can confirm. My old band recorded a little EP thing a couple of years ago and I had to do 15 takes of the same arpeggio because my hands were shaking loads and I kept bopping the wrong strings. Even in the end it didn't sound great.

31 takes must be torture, even if you're Muse.

Guys look at 10:37 in the video.

Notice the finger slide, notice the little ear plug on the neck.

Defector will incorporate the "sliding instagram teaser" riff

Theres no slide. I think your brains somehow just combined two insta clips into one that doesn't exist lol. You are correct though this is the tremolo whammy insta clip we got a bit before psycho came out.

The slide guitar insta clip is from The Globalist we know that now.