Ok. If you can budget for a Electro-Voice RE20, that'd be perfect. There is the cheaper RE-320, but don't know enough about it, but both are well beyond £100.

Otherwise popular dynamic kick and guitar amp microphones are within your budget, or can be found easily second hand for that money. Kick mics do tend to have a smile-esque curve to them, so are far from flat. Trusty old SM57s are actually flatter in response in comparison, but can only use them rammed up against the grille for bass amps due to its low-end roll off.

Worth a read if you haven't come across it already: https://web.archive.org/web/20150608005446/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/recordingbass.htm

Ta

That's assault. Prick. And no, not sure I do. Or do I?

And Shadowkay, if you're on a budget, stop ducking about and just DI the bass. You will get much, much better results than a cheap Mic on a (guessing) budget cab, especially if you use some good prostate processing.

Already do. Prostate is fine thanks

Oaft. Want.

My old guitar teacher has a black one of those and it's brilliant.

an old one?

Oh Lordy, I really do need to get a new phone that doesn't autocorrect post into prostate.

Quite topical though lately, especially as I play in a band with several over 50's :facepalm:

Do you often text them about prostate processing then? Two of the suggestions that pop up often on mine are "NotForSale" and "markymarkburton"

Love Patrick Eggles almost bought a satin finish Berlin in red before I bought my Strat. Guess that would have been ~1996? That would have been one of the UK made one's, they were built close to where I grew up. Suffice to say it would be worth quite a lot more than my old Strat is worth now :(

Love Patrick Eggles almost bought a satin finish Berlin in red before I bought my Strat. Guess that would have been ~1996? That would have been one of the UK made one's, they were built close to where I grew up. Suffice to say it would be worth quite a lot more than my old Strat is worth now :(

That's a long time ago. Have you been playing guitar since the 60s?

You might remember that one I picked up in London a few years back. I think that one was a berlin pro. Was pretty decent, but felt a bit small (?) and didn't have a particularly great sound (although there were quite a few to choose from, as it had this weird rotary selector)

Where in the UK were they made?

Not the 60's, but before you were born young whippersnapper.

Eggle had a factory in Coventry which closed in the late 90's, which was close to Nuneaton where I was raised.

They're beautiful guitars, the small size is something I dig, being short in stature. At some point I'd like to get one but I doubt I will find a reasonably priced UK model. In red. With the satin finish and hardware. :facepalm:

Not the 60's, but before you were born young whippersnapper.

Eggle had a factory in Coventry which closed in the late 90's, which was close to Nuneaton where I was raised.

They're beautiful guitars, the small size is something I dig, being short in stature. At some point I'd like to get one but I doubt I will find a reasonably priced UK model. In red. With the satin finish and hardware. :facepalm:

You're 33 and you've been playing over 26 years? I started when I was 12.

Made in Coventry with pride? I think the E shape guitars are a bit similar, but that's more because of the body shape I guess. It's still 25.5" scale.

You're 33 and you've been playing over 26 years? I started when I was 12.

Made in Coventry with pride? I think the E shape guitars are a bit similar, but that's more because of the body shape I guess. It's still 25.5" scale.

i started at 22 :$ #20YearsStillShit

Edited by musecasters

Yeah, I suppose I prefer the sound when I'm using a mic as opposed to a di, but I guess I can eq it to make it sound fuller.

I just mean don't look at those specific microphones. Ones that are popular for guitar amps would be better for capturing the amp sound, then blend the DI and process that to fill out the sound if its lacking anywhere.

And if you don't already have one, find a good Pultec EQ emulation :yesey:

i started at 22 :$ #20YearsStillShit

I started playing in Christmas of 1993, so i'd have been 9 and 3/4. Not quite before you were born though. At that time I had an Encore strat in fire engine red. I still have it, and it's still terrible. Kids today are spoilt compared to the shite we had to learn on!

tl/dr: I've been playing over 20 years and i'm definitely still shit.

I started playing in Christmas of 1993, so i'd have been 9 and 3/4. Not quite before you were born though. At that time I had an Encore strat in fire engine red. I still have it, and it's still terrible. Kids today are spoilt compared to the shite we had to learn on!

tl/dr: I've been playing over 20 years and i'm definitely still shit.

the 3/4 matters so much when you're 9 years old. And have you put a fuzz factory in it yet?

I must be going deaf. Surely this 4x10 ampeg combo at full volume would be a bit more painful? Measured it and it's putting out 111db, so I guess it could be a bit louder

111db at what distance? If you don't consider that loud, then there's no hope for you. Consider that a 747 is ~125 at 100m..

About three feet away from the amp, but not directly in front of it.

Don't get me wrong, it's loud, but only borderline uncomfortable. I don't know if I've permanently damaged my hearing from not using hearing protection at half the gigs I've gone to or what. I don't think it would be from my amps or anything, as I practice at a reasonable volume. Usually.

Maybe I should get tested, but I can't say I've noticed anything change in a short period of time. Maybe a little less sensitive to loud volume if anything, but that's happened overtime, and maybe due to age :nerd:

At 26, you shouldn't be getting hearing loss! You need to take steps to protect your hearing as once it's gone, its gone. I wouldn't be stood in front of anything measuring 111dB off axis without hearing protection. In fact I'm reaching for the ear plugs at 75.

At 26, you shouldn't be getting hearing loss! You need to take steps to protect your hearing as once it's gone, its gone. I wouldn't be stood in front of anything measuring 111dB off axis without hearing protection. In fact I'm reaching for the ear plugs at 75.

Fair enough then. I wouldn't normally have it anywhere near this loud, but I couldn't help myself :facepalm: it sounded so good too...

I have some, but I've only really used them when going to gigs.

The only time I can remember playing too loud is when I was 18 or so. Tried a JTM 45 at full blast for a short time, and couldn't properly hear afterwards for about 15 minutes. Of course, it's been worse from gigs, but that's why I started using earplugs.