I agree with Haze's absolutely useful and helpful comment here :)

Early on seems pointless, especially if your clean signal coming from the guitar is fine (and I don't think you should be looking into fixing bad clean sounds with a compressor - something about polishing a turd). You put the compressor where it's needed. Overly simplified: it's a patch for solving dynamic problem, or creating - or altering - the effect it follows (as in the case of the delay).

Same thing when you'd talk about a gate - you put this at the point where a problem is introduced, to negate that.

I found Keely's website had a good explanation on the matter of placement. https://robertkeeley.com/2013/07/squence-selector-why-order-of-pedals-matters/

The only reason I can think of for putting it early is creating a buffered signal, but there's simple pedals to do that instead. Even tuners do it.

Putting it early will change the transient. So effects like distortion have a different signal to work with, altering what tones you can get out of whatever distortion is being used. Can help make it easier to use lower gain settings.

Also useful for different types of playing - percussive, solos with lots of sustained notes etc, better to have it early in the chain for that sort of thing as its useless after any other effects.

Compression is used all the time on clean sounds and acoustic guitars, not really turd polishing.

Edit - Basically its a potential solution to a problem/issue with your setup/sound and need to know what that issue is so it can be effectively solved. Its a very different question to where something like a delay goes in a chain.

Edited by haze015

Ovation is gone, did you buy it?

Afraid so, but he accepted my offer for a bit less. Still the world's most expensive Korean LP copy :facepalm:

Sorry Jaicen, I know how much you like these guitars. I found another one, and for a surprisingly reasonable price

https://reverb.com/item/3903846-ovation-gp-1431-1982-sunburst

Of course, it's not a black one, and those are more Kyuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-MSfd2S7lo

Not sure I have an opinion either way, though the sunburst is quite nice. I paid about that for my e6 though, I'm sure it's not as good as that?

As nice as an E6 or your E6? It's sort of like how Bs' MB-1 is better than all of the other ones.

But no, I wouldn't say it's as good, but it's a completely different guitar. I usually wouldn't agree with the whole "LP killer" comment, as only a gibson is good enough (right??) and it's usually just to hype everything up, but it's surprising really.

The only reason they're so expensive is because of QOTSA... apparently he got his first one for $200 or something like that in 1991, and the other two for $700 several years later.

http://www.junkguitars.com/stories/ovation.html

Good read about these.

https://reverb.com/item/3939737-ovation-ultra-gp-1984-black-beauty-lp-killer-qotsa-kyuss-josh-homme

...fuck. That's one of the black ones!

I paid less than that for Josh's old one... must resist...

My friend paid about 200 for the Eastwood Ultra GP model. He recently sold it because he used his LP more, and went and bought a Wampler Pinnacle and also some Gretsch guitar. I can't say I like the model he got MORE but it certainly is nice as fuck.

I had actually no idea Ovation made that model/style, that's bonkers lol.

What do you guys think of this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2017-gibson-reveals-2017-traditional-high-performance-and-ultra-affordable-s-series-electric-guitar-line-up-646926

I quite like the S Series LP Custom Special.

Crazy to think that the cheapest guitar in Gibson lineup will start at $399 though.

The M2 models already are cheap as heck too, wow. I'm gonna try to definitely pick up Gibson models then. Hopefully a Les Paul in a blue finish and a Firebird in a red or blue finish.

The only problem is I know for sure that they wont put great pickups in them (easily fixable) and I'm iffy about wiring and electronics (also easy fix). Maybe limited finish options? but for 399 who can really complain lol.

My friend paid about 200 for the Eastwood Ultra GP model. He recently sold it because he used his LP more, and went and bought a Wampler Pinnacle and also some Gretsch guitar. I can't say I like the model he got MORE but it certainly is nice as fuck.

I had actually no idea Ovation made that model/style, that's bonkers lol.

That's what the eastwood is a replica of - there were only around 400 of the originals in 1984. Ovation appeared to be working on a reissue last year, but I don't think anything became of it.

What do you guys think of this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2017-gibson-reveals-2017-traditional-high-performance-and-ultra-affordable-s-series-electric-guitar-line-up-646926

I quite like the S Series LP Custom Special.

Crazy to think that the cheapest guitar in Gibson lineup will start at $399 though.

I'd imagine you're paying for the name and not a whole lot else. Even if you get all of it for that price:

sgHead.jpg

That's what the eastwood is a replica of - there were only around 400 of the originals in 1984. Ovation appeared to be working on a reissue last year, but I don't think anything became of it.

I had no idea, not even kidding. I don't like the Ovation headstock but fuck if the sound is like the GP and Josh in general can't deny it in the slightest. looks hype as heck.

I'd imagine you're paying for the name and not a whole lot else. Even if you get all of it for that price:

sgHead.jpg

I'm sure as well. To be honest, for 599/699 I'd rather get a faded model or something or just go a little higher and get a trans blue used gibson somewhere, imo.

I had no idea, not even kidding. I don't like the Ovation headstock but fuck if the sound is like the GP and Josh in general can't deny it in the slightest. looks hype as heck.

I'm sure as well. To be honest, for 599/699 I'd rather get a faded model or something or just go a little higher and get a trans blue used gibson somewhere, imo.

Yeah, though somehow I think it works with that shape. I have no experience with the eastwood, but the original one is definitely a big part of the earlier sound.

I did this with the other one. Mind, it was going through an identical setup (although more what he used for LTP) but still

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jamespetrow/no-1-nose[/soundcloud]

And I recall they were doing a charcoal finish thin line LP of some sort. I can't remember what it was called, but it was fairly recent. I think it was in the $600 range. Seemed interesting

Raised the height of my sustainiac since I lowered it too much a while ago which made it really weak, and now the driver is loose. It's as if there's nothing pushing it up away from the body. It still works fine, but the wobbling is a little worrying. Any advice on how to sort that?

Edited by nerd herd

Raised the height of my sustainiac since I lowered it too much a while ago which made it really weak, and now the driver is loose. It's as if there's nothing pushing it up away from the body. It still works fine, but the wobbling is a little worrying. Any advice on how to sort that?

You'll need to add a bit of that foam material underneath. Sounds like it compressed or something when you lowered it.

I have a theory, unproven of course, that the sustainer would perform better if it had a rigid fixing to the body using a wooden shim or suchlike. Given that it's driving the strings, it's likely to cause a reaction force that wants to push and pull it away from the body. I've noted that this occurs in the homebrew experiments I've done, so no reason to think it doesn't occur with the commercial units too.

tl/dr: try fixing it with a wooden shim instead of foam.

James, looks like the bass got through the wood police! :ninja: Should be getting here tomorrow or so. That was a close one though, would not recommend

Ordered a Whammy V from Ebay, seller sent me 2 and didn't know it :facepalm:. Returning the extra one to them today. Couldn't bring myself to keep it & rip them off :$

Now that I have the Whammy, how do I Fury? :love::love::love:

You'll need to add a bit of that foam material underneath. Sounds like it compressed or something when you lowered it.

This worked, thanks!

I have a theory, unproven of course, that the sustainer would perform better if it had a rigid fixing to the body using a wooden shim or suchlike. Given that it's driving the strings, it's likely to cause a reaction force that wants to push and pull it away from the body. I've noted that this occurs in the homebrew experiments I've done, so no reason to think it doesn't occur with the commercial units too.

tl/dr: try fixing it with a wooden shim instead of foam.

That would make sense, might try that if/when I take the sustainer out again. Have you built your own one?

Ordered a Whammy V from Ebay, seller sent me 2 and didn't know it :facepalm:. Returning the extra one to them today. Couldn't bring myself to keep it & rip them off :$

How does the wooly mammoth work with the whammy? The fuzz factory sounds shit with it.

+-1 octave harmony and some delay for fury.

James, looks like the bass got through the wood police! :ninja: Should be getting here tomorrow or so. That was a close one though, would not recommend

Why, did they delay it at all? The wood police came after me yesterday. Need to submit some forms today.

The question is why he had two to begin with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8tPpS7MI6s

Unless he's a dealer that is...

How does the wooly mammoth work with the whammy? The fuzz factory sounds shit with it.

+-1 octave harmony and some delay for fury.

Thank you! :D

Haven't tried the mammoth with whammy, I'll do it later today.

For the +- octave, when do I press my foot? And do I bring my heel back all the way? I never used this type of pedal before so I have no idea :$ Also what should the amp setting be?

Why, did they delay it at all? The wood police came after me yesterday. Need to submit some forms today.

The question is why he had two to begin with

Aw, that sucks :$ He's a dealer, yeah, so I'm guessing it's a mis-ship.