Faster Louder: Matt features on Kimbra's new single.

Kazy-Babie

Muse are such a good funk band. That Panic At The Station track was really good.

A completely valid point.

Unfortunately, still sort of the point of "singles" to be representative of that album.

Not something that's probably a GOOD indication a lot of the time, but the purpose of them nonetheless.

I'm sure quite a lot of people who listened to T2L after hearing only Madness were fairly disappointed.

However, even if I hadn't heard a song or two from Kimbra before, I would have still been really turned off by that new one.

"Interesting noises" are not my idea of a pleasant song to listen to, and I had to force myself to get all the way through that one.

Unfortunately, still sort of the point of "singles" to be representative of that album.

Not something that's probably a GOOD indication a lot of the time, but the purpose of them nonetheless.

Nah the point is to display the song with the most commercial value to get the most listeners.

Yeah, that too.

But how many people can honestly say they heard a single they hated, but then continued on to listen to the album anyways?

I can. Pretty much all of my favourite bands were ones that I didn't like at first.

I can. Pretty much all of my favourite bands were ones that I didn't like at first.

I would be willing to guess that's not very common, though, unless a person heard other songs without intentionally seeking them out.

I can't say I've ever once heard a song/single that I've really disliked, and then intentionally checked out more songs by them.

I've certainly liked bands where I didn't like the first single I've heard, but then I've liked a future single, or listened to the album because a friend forced me to, etc.

That's why it's important the single is commercially viable.

Slapping big name "collaborations" on your songs doesn't hurt, either.

I would be willing to guess that's not very common, though, unless a person heard other songs without intentionally seeking them out.

I can't say I've ever once heard a song/single that I've really disliked, and then intentionally checked out more songs by them.

I've certainly liked bands where I didn't like the first single I've heard, but then I've liked a future single, or listened to the album because a friend forced me to, etc.

That's why it's important the single is commercially viable.

Slapping big name "collaborations" on your songs doesn't hurt, either.

I don't listen to the radio, so the music I am expose to is the one I find myself, the one other people show me and the one I hear about and want to check out.

In all of these cases, I think hearing one single once is an awful way of judging the artist.

I don't entirely disagree, and I've been suffering with a lack of good music I'm finding mostly because I don't have exposure to enough, suck at finding it apparently, and my friends' tastes are absolute balls.

I'm just pretty much 100% unlikely to seek out more by an artist if I think the single/song I heard is atrocious, though.

I'm well aware this has its pitfalls... because in a different world, I could have heard Survival first. :LOL:

Then I wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place...

Just because it sounds weird to your ears doesn't make it a shit song. Whether you personally like it or not, it IS a great work of art.

And to the people who said the sound quality/production is bad, it is probably supposed to sound like that...look up lo-fi music. Also the title and the theme in the lyrics of the song make it pretty clear why it sounds the way it does.

(I'll feel stupid if it turns out it WAS just a bad quality rip.:p)

I love how when Matt contributes to probably the most experimental and artsy thing he's done everyone on the forums hates it and doesn't understand it.:LOL:

Just because it sounds weird to your ears doesn't make it a shit song. Whether you personally like it or not, it IS a great work of art.

And to the people who said the sound quality/production is bad, it is probably supposed to sound like that...look up lo-fi music. Also the title and the theme in the lyrics of the song make it pretty clear why it sounds the way it does.

(I'll feel stupid if it turns out it WAS just a bad quality rip.:p)

I love how when Matt contributes to probably the most experimental and artsy thing he's done everyone on the forums hates it and doesn't understand it.:LOL:

Ugh

Whether you personally like it or not, it IS a great work of art.

Bullshit.

And to the people who said the sound quality/production is bad, it is probably supposed to sound like that...look up lo-fi music.

Worst post of the year so far. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Bullshit again.

And I even like the song.

Bullshit.

Worst post of the year so far. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Bullshit again.

And I even like the song.

Okay maybe I might be a tad off on the first two points but explain to me what song Matt has done that is more experimental than 90's music?

Since when experimental = good?

That's right, since never. And you also used the term "artsy" which makes your point even less valid.

So you're saying an entire genre of music is bad? Doing new and nontraditional things in music is bad? And what's wrong with the term artsy?

Just because music isn't accessible or people don't get it doesn't mean it is bad

So you're saying an entire genre of music is bad? Doing new and nontraditional things in music is bad? And what's wrong with the term artsy?

Doing different things doesn't equate to something being perceived as good.