2013.03.16 - US Airways Center, Phoenix AZ

AguanteRiver

Surprised no one has talked about security creating an amazing moment with them demanding a girl get off the shoulders of that guy and then Matt telling everyone to ignore security and get back up. And then blasting into IS THIS NOT THE LAND OF THE FREE?! Then into The Star Spangled Banner. That was just perfect timing and was fucking amazing. They seemed way more into this gig than last time they were here at US Airways, more along the lines of the Tucson radio festival gig a few days later after Phoenix that year.

Anyone from the left side of the rail on here? I was on the rail almost right in front of Matt.

:LOL: You were in the same section as my mom! Short lady with shoulder-length, light brown hair, camera in hand.

New Born was a great crowd reaction, and the pit was crazy. I haven't been that squished since LA Rising! But then I was on the barrier, which makes any show instantly better. Animals is my fave off T2L, but I was having so much fun that I didn't notice it missing until the end of the main set.

Right on...what row was she in?

The pit looked pretty squished but not in a unsafe way. I forget which song got you guys going the most, it wasn't Knights of Cydonia. It might have been Time is Running Out.

Surprised no one has talked about security creating an amazing moment with them demanding a girl get off the shoulders of that guy and then Matt telling everyone to ignore security and get back up. And then blasting into IS THIS NOT THE LAND OF THE FREE?! Then into The Star Spangled Banner. That was just perfect timing and was fucking amazing. They seemed way more into this gig than last time they were here at US Airways, more along the lines of the Tucson radio festival gig a few days later after Phoenix that year.

Anyone from the left side of the rail on here? I was on the rail almost right in front of Matt.

That was cool of Matt to bring it up.

lol is that happened, I couldn't understand what Matt was saying

Awesome performance and amazing energy from the crowd. Little upset about the queuing process for a couple of reasons. Security outside tells us they'll let us inside in 15 minutes so put our stuff back in our car. Then, 30 seconds later they decide to let everyone in so my group lost out spot cause we were shuffling to put our stuff inside. But, still great night. I got a lot of pictures if anybody wants to look. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.421872801241082.1073741826.100002550971991&type=3

I was on the floor just left of center, maybe 10 rows back. Right next to that crazy long haired guy that whirled his shirt around and I think was waaaay more into Dead Sara than Muse.

:LOL:

That was my first Muse gig, and I was worse than a 14 year old at a Beiber concert.... And to think I wasn't gonna go...

That whole, fuck security, land of the free, star spangled banner moment brought a tear to my eye.

The pit looked pretty squished but not in a unsafe way. I forget which song got you guys going the most, it wasn't Knights of Cydonia. It might have been Time is Running Out.
I can't speak for the crowd, but Knights of Cydonia certainly set me off, but I think Time is Running Out got the biggest reaction.

:LOL: Yeah, I was on the barrier so 1. I couldn't understand half of what Matt said and 2. I didn't see the girl on the guy's shoulders until Tom moved the camera over there.

The security guy that was in front of me and Daniel was great, totally chill dude who looks like James from Mettalica and sounds like a surfer. The rest of the staff...bleh (except for Emily, the lady in the red pants).

For those who wanted to know and weren't there, the GA queue was pissed for the following reasons:

WARNING - US AIRWAYS CENTER BEEF AHEAD

-When we first arrived (my group arrived at 8, but others were there at 6 AM), we were told we couldn't queue on the premises, so we ended up on the sidewalk of the parking lot across the street. It was cloudy at first, but then the sun came out and over the arena...and we were burning up. Finally we got permission to come across the street, and we moved the queue to the shade.

-Skip ahead a few hours. 3 guys come and stand around for a while, and then their number started to multiply. At this point the box office is open, so people are going in and out of the building all the time. Mandy finally asked if they were waiting for GA, they said yes, she explained our queue and numbering system, and they basically told her to GTFO. Venue staff refused to do anything about it, even though Mandy and others had talked to them and gotten their OK for our system.

-We split up the queue to cover all the doors, since this venue doesn't know how to send all the GA people to one place and we didn't want more queue jumpers stealing our barrier. SIGH. More waiting.

--Some staff come out to tell us that they'll be prescanning and giving out wristbands, even though we can't go in until 6. They say to stay in our lines, that everyone will get scanned. 90% of the crowd ignores this and rushes over to the left-hand queue. They start scanning, and it's a clusterfuck of people walking *through* the queue to get to the front and do the wristband/credit card scan. Our group decides to do potty breaks and put our stuff away in groups of two so we can hold our spot.

--My turn to go. I take the cooler and chairs back to my car, and just as we're heading to the restroom we see the doors opening across the street (AN HOUR AND A HALF BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME). One frantic sprint later, we're between the glass doors and the blue doors, sitting on the floor and crying for a bathroom. We're not allowed to use the arena restrooms, so we have to go outside to do it, and we still had friends that had gone to their cars or to the restroom and had totally lost their place in the queue. The staff made us sit on the floor, but we can get up and walk out if we want.

--Just as I was returning from the Chipotle, I got a call from a friend. We had known all along that they would open all the doors at the same time, so she went to check out the East Door and found it empty. I walked over there, and ended up staying there.

--6:00. Doors open all over the place. We sprint to the barrier. I made it, as did several others, but some that were first in the queue ended up far to the sides or not on the barrier at all, while others that arrived later ended up in the front thanks to the stupidity of the staff. We had queue jumpers at first, then others moved up when the numbered people went to the restrooms, thinking they had an hour and a half to go, and then when the scramble at the blue doors began.

Luckily I was at the East Door still, and I already had my wristband, so I was second through the doors and in like a shot. But this venue needs to get its shit together. :mad: It was totally not fair and the only thing they had to do was put some rope or metal barriers like LA did. The only reason they pre-scanned the main doors is that they didn't have enough machines to scan at all the doors, so why not limit the GA paperless to one queue?

END RANT.

So glad the gig was amazing. It may not look like it on paper, because Animals was missing and we got Eurasia instead of Sunburn, but it really was. Compare the 2010 Phoenix gig to this one and it's a totally different band. Matt was a chatterbox, Dom enjoyed seeing ladies on their bf's shoulders, and there were some dirty gestures and amp-rape shenanigans. All in all, a great night. :LOL:

I showed up at noon and while I didn't really interact with all of you who showed up super early I do feel your pain and was fine with anyone jumping ahead of me who was there earlier. Needless to say I knew this was going to happen the second I got there and saw multiple single barriers in front of every door. This was going to end up like 2010 no matter what, especially the moment they kept saying they couldn't tell us what door to line up at.

Also I knew it was bad news if you went to the left side instead of the center doors, the same shit happened in 2010, told to go to the left side doors and not only did they open like 1min later they were also farther from the GA entrance, so I was telling the people around me who were there early to sit at the center door.

Either way it is what it is, they clearly learned nothing over these years, and if they go back to US Airways again it'll happen all over again. The concert though was fucking amazing and the difference between 2010 to 2013 is huge.

And once again, Matt fucking high fived me lol. I had to break the mold of everyone going for hand grabs and it worked.

So glad the gig was amazing. It may not look like it on paper, because Animals was missing and we got Eurasia instead of Sunburn, but it really was. Compare the 2010 Phoenix gig to this one and it's a totally different band. Matt was a chatterbox, Dom enjoyed seeing ladies on their bf's shoulders, and there were some dirty gestures and amp-rape shenanigans. All in all, a great night. :LOL:

Wish I could figure out how to embed the following, but I'm assuming this tweet from Dominic about people on shoulders was about the Phoenix gig last night.

https://twitter.com/Dominic_Howard/status/313167639256133634

-Jason

My Dad and I got there around 6, and I still managed to get a fairly nice view on the right side of the stage. My area wasn't very rowdy at all, which I thought was surprising. Also, what did everyone else think of Dead Sara? I loved them. :D

I had so much fun. The crowd seated around me was a bit dead. not even standing but it was okay... two of my friends are now fans!

A little disappointed that they didn't play Hysteria, but New Born was a great surprise!

Am super happy that I got to meet Tom Kirk and took a picture with him. He was so freaking nice! :D

Yay, glad you met him! When my barrier buddies and I made it back there, he was already gone. A random soundbooth guy tossed a water bottle at us and nearly broke my finger, but I appreciated the gesture. :LOL: My friends were pretty parched by that point. I was hydrating nonstop from 7 AM to 4:30, and then I had another bottle when I moved to the East door, so I was okay. (I was the girl with the rolling blue and white cooler and those funky orange camping stools, the one that kept offering people frozen water so they wouldn't die inside.)

Some pics from the gig:

img5949b.jpg

I see my daughter in this picture. We were against the barrier too. After everything we went through with the arena employees who knew next to nothing about how to handle a show, it ended up being a great night. Thank goodness we were able to get against the barrier. I would have been pissed being further back after sitting in line all day. Yes, I was also one of those who had to endure the line debacle. But, I met some great fellow Muse fans there.

Yea, the arena staff really messed that up. I got in, then had to go back out, and then back in twice, despite the fact I wasn't GA.

My section was completely rowdy. The girls in front and in back of me danced and sang throughout the entire gig. The one behind kept hitting me in the back every time she wanted to wave her arms in the air. Half-way through the gig, the old couple below me pulled out a little pipe and started smoking pot. Totally different experience than Minneapolis. :LOL:

Far superior performance. Loved every minute of it. You could tell Matt was having a great time - pointing at people in the crowd, having the camera guy point at that girl during UD, all the chatting. Loved the amp abuse to the point where I was shouting 'Do it!' before he tipped it over (minorly jealous of the amp). The whole 'land of the free' was fantastic, and it was great that a whole bunch of people got up on the shoulders of others after that. I think there was one point where he pointed the microphone towards my section during Follow Me, but was a bit distracted by the girl going crazy in front of me. :LOL:

I was also closer to the stage compared to the last concert. Never really noticed how much energy Dom puts out. Wow. :D I wonder who got his drumsticks.

I wish every gig was like that one. :happy:

Well, to give you a reference point, I showed up to the Staples Center queue at 11 AM and got barrier, as did everyone in front of me (although the paperless thing took us all out of order). This was for a bigger venue, but on a rainy day so it balances out.

Last time Phoenix didn't even sell out, so I'd say your chances are good if you get there before noon, especially if it's one of those freak summer days in spring.

The size difference between Staples and USAC is nominal. It is, of course, configuration dependent...but Staples is only in the neighborhood of 300-500 bigger capacity.

The size difference between Staples and USAC is nominal. It is, of course, configuration dependent...but Staples is only in the neighborhood of 300-500 bigger capacity.

Yeah, well...Staples also knows how to handle queues and USAC doesn't. If they don't change their policies, you could show up at 3 or 4, get your wristband at the main doors, queue at the East doors, and get first pick of the barrier next time. :mad:

I uploaded a bunch of pics to my facebook, so if you haven't friended me and would like to go here and then look for my US Airways album, 2013 edition. If not, I might get off my lazy bum and put them on flickr sometime. :p I also picked some of my faves and posted them on my tumblr.

Incredible pictures...what type of camera did you use? I like my digital camera, but it doesn't take as good of pictures at concerts as yours.

Thanks! I used a Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS. Although, I think most point and shoots from the last year or two should do just as good, its all a matter of knowing what settings to use on the camera. For instance, I lowered the exposure setting to -2 so that the chance of blur was much less than most of the auto-modes and it worked out quite well. My main problem was getting it to focus on Matt when he was far away, and Dom was exceptionally hard to get focus on as well.

Archived