Cheddatom's Studio

cheddatom

• 1 month later...

Sounding good Chedda! I'm assuming the band are like, 16 or 17? They're tight but don't think the vocalist is going to go far.

If I was to critique, I'd like a little more separation in the low end, the kick's a bit indistinct, seems like the bass is muddying up the 125-250 region.

thanks for the critique, most appreciated. Not sure the band will like it! They must be 25+ as they've been through uni etc. One of the biggest heavy bands in Stoke. I think their normal style is quite different.

The drummer wanted a very boomy kick sound, we compromised in between, I actually quite like the bit of mud, I think it works well

I have a very tight kit sound for my reggae band but being a 6 piece it's taking ages to get everyone to come in and do their parts.

thanks for the critique, most appreciated. Not sure the band will like it! They must be 25+ as they've been through uni etc. One of the biggest heavy bands in Stoke. I think their normal style is quite different.

The drummer wanted a very boomy kick sound, we compromised in between, I actually quite like the bit of mud, I think it works well

I have a very tight kit sound for my reggae band but being a 6 piece it's taking ages to get everyone to come in and do their parts.

Oops! Haha, no in all honesty they sound really tight ad well drilled, I just don't think the singer has it in him to do this song justice.

As regards what the drummer wants, by all means do it whilst you're tracking, then tighten things up on the mix-down when they're not paying attention to individual parts ;)

He does a bit of recording and production himself, and is actually quite good with it, it's just an opinion really. It's a good sound, just not what I would have done personally. Anyway, I'm pleased with the result, and mainly pleased that they're pleased, which is the most important thing I think?

the bass was an old musicman - must have been at least 30 years old. Fucking gorgeous.

Yeah that sounds great Chedda, lots of clarity. I do think the guy's voice distracts a bit from the instrumental, which sounds great (apart from maybe the wah on the geeturr, I thought it was a bit overpowering at times?), but that's probably down to his voice rather than anything else.

With the singer, I can hear what he was going for but the only thing is I think the middle ground between his full scream and regular voice is what lets him down.

Yeah I agree with that.

• 1 month later...

dudes, any ideas for getting more business? I've done a couple of free promos, sponsored a BOTB, done interviews on two local radio stations (both FM broadcast), got posters in most local venues, spoken to loads of bands in person and on FB, given out cards to everyone I know on the music scene... still not enough customers

Any advice gratefully received

dudes, any ideas for getting more business? I've done a couple of free promos, sponsored a BOTB, done interviews on two local radio stations (both FM broadcast), got posters in most local venues, spoken to loads of bands in person and on FB, given out cards to everyone I know on the music scene... still not enough customers

Any advice gratefully received

I'd love to know this as I'd really like mixing work.

I guess you've just got to be really active locally and make friends with as many of the local musicians as possible.

well if I figure out anything I will post it here

Is there anything you're trying that I've not listed?

Know anyone that works for any local collages, or could speak to them directly?

Parents with kids still in education might be happy to pay for them to use a studio.

I would do installments if someone asked for it.

Know anyone that works for any local collages, or could speak to them directly?

Parents with kids still in education might be happy to pay for them to use a studio.

Good call. I do know a couple of teachers, I'll ask them if they could put me some posters up or something

Perhaps it could be an idea to allow acts to pay in installments? My band is trying to save up money for some recording but we need to get around 300 euro together which for a young band is a tall task.

Not a good idea, potential for disaster unless he looks into setting up standing orders and all that.

I think the most important thing is getting people to talk about your studio. If there are any band competitions, offer a discount for recording a demo (I think you've done something similar?), and keep recording.

Perhaps if there's any more expensive studios around, you could try to get them to send bands to you who say the other place is more expensive? It's a tough time for musicians and studios alike :(

Oh, if there's any pop culture promotion going on around your area, get involved. Perhaps they can help with that too! Also, rehearsal rooms etc are a good place to promote your studio.

Maybe try operating as a sort of label. If there are bands you like and want to work with and have free time in the studios, record them for free and release it yourself and take whatever percentage you agree with them or however you want to go about it.

Archived