National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

Lyssapire

• 6 months later...

What's everybody's topic? I was doing some fanfic (three different people being fans of Muse, Bryan Adams, and Britney Spears) but then last night I had a weird dream that I wanna expand on. So day two and I'm completely overhauling. I guess that's better than doing it on day 22, right?

Oh yeah, the dream was about a bunch of people at camp and weird stuff keeps happening to them, like a shark shows up in the lake, even though it's just a lake (and a man-made one at that)...it seemed more interesting in my dream, though. Maybe I'll stick with fanfic.

Ive been working on some horror/thriller stuff ive had in mind, just never bothered to get on with it. I keep getting ideas for twists and turns so im going with it now.

Here's my prologue/excerpt for the nano website

Tonight. Tonight I killed a man. I never meant to, I swear.

He came too close. It's his fault. All his fault.

He got in my way. He went for me so I lunged.

It was near me.

The umbrella. It pierced into his chest.

Blood fell everywhere and finally I felt free.

Tonight. Tonight I killed a man.

Here's my participant URL: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/squallsseifer

Mine's a dystopian fiction about if America never entered WW2 and the Germans overtook them. Now in the present, a band of rebels are fighting them. Here's an excerpt:

I fight the wash. Just look at my record. I know they hate me, they tell me outright. I’m they're worst customer. Good.

This is not how it's supposed to be. The world may not be perfect, but it should be a hell of a lot better than this. I hear my name being called by the "nurse". She's more like an unemotional puppet. "Maylin? Maylin Wright?" I brush off the nonexistent chains and walk to the gray room ahead. The single fluorescent light shines right on the industrial looking chair and glinting on the steel restraints. The headpiece, a menacing steel hat of brainwashing might, sits on top of it all. I stand my ground at the threshold.

"Walk in, Maylin."

Anger tainted her voice. The nurse shoved me into the room. I could've easily overcome her, but I let her because I've learned my lesson, although my brain doesn't believe me, judging by the nightmares I still have. But I stood stock still one step from the door. I was not going in that thing. Shana whirled around, grabbed my wrist, and pulled. Round one starts now.

Wow, antoftheproblematique and Aquifa, your excerpts sound awesome! I thought about dabbling in science fiction because it's my favorite genre and I know it pretty well. But when I fleshed out my plots they ended up being too similar to something that already existed. I guess that doesn't really matter because no one ever has to read my novel, but I'd still like it to be more original. They say write what you know and right now I'm a huge Muse fangirl, so I'm just doing a sort of biography on the life of a fan.

Wow, antoftheproblematique and Aquifa, your excerpts sound awesome! I thought about dabbling in science fiction because it's my favorite genre and I know it pretty well. But when I fleshed out my plots they ended up being too similar to something that already existed. I guess that doesn't really matter because no one ever has to read my novel, but I'd still like it to be more original. They say write what you know and right now I'm a huge Muse fangirl, so I'm just doing a sort of biography on the life of a fan.

Thank you! But I think I'd say write what you want to know more about.

Second day in a row I've neglected it. Just don't feel like writing all of the sudden. Dammit.

Do you use music as background noise when you write? Last night I couldn't write a damn thing and I think it was because I had the wrong music. I think I squeezed out 300 words and wasn't happy with them. Tonight I switched my music (from 2 Cellos to Duncan Sheik), turned down the volume a bit, and churned out 1,500. You might want to experiment with background noise, room lighting, even the chair you're sitting in! Good luck. :)

Im failing and I know i am but i restarted on day 6 so im not surprised. What i am shocked about is since restarting (were what, day 9 now?), Im sat on 5,100 words. So in 3 days ive powered through loads. Im hoping to keep my momentum up, ive been doing it all whilst sat on trains and buses with muse, black keys, them crooked vultures and kasabian playing to drown out background noise on the public transport.

Ive gotta admit, its working so far and i cant complain.

Im failing and I know i am but i restarted on day 6 so im not surprised. What i am shocked about is since restarting (were what, day 9 now?), Im sat on 5,100 words. So in 3 days ive powered through loads. Im hoping to keep my momentum up, ive been doing it all whilst sat on trains and buses with muse, black keys, them crooked vultures and kasabian playing to drown out background noise on the public transport.

Ive gotta admit, its working so far and i cant complain.

I've got week two syndrome. This weekend is a 3-day weekend so I'm gonna try to write a ton.

I've got over 19,000 words and 42 Word pages. I started a couple days before, though.

It started as fanfic, but I am reworking it, because I am ashamed at how much I've written if it's just fanfic, lol!

Anyway, good old fashioned love story with a little angst and death for good measure.

I've got over 19,000 words and 42 Word pages. I started a couple days before, though.

It started as fanfic, but I am reworking it, because I am ashamed at how much I've written if it's just fanfic, lol!

Anyway, good old fashioned love story with a little angst and death for good measure.

Ooh, my kind of what-used-to-be-fanfic. :D

I have 7000. I'm kind of ashamed, but mostly proud because it's the most I've ever written.

Archived