Big Muff Oscillation

Tyger16

So I know all fuzz questions normally should go in the fuzz factory thread but I think this question is a little different and therefore doesnt quite fit that thread.

Basically, I really like the oscillation effect Matt gets from the FF but from all the demos ive seen, its a really muddy sounding pedal. Theres no clarity. I imagine Matt must mix the sound with another amp distortion or what not to counter act this but not all of us have a huge rig like him.

I do however, much prefer the Big Muff Pi pedal. It has great sustain, much better clarity and cleans up into a nice overdrive. That's my opinion anyway.

That being said, I have no idea whether or not wild oscillations can be pulled from that pedal. I suspect it can't be, so I would like to know what the other options are.

Basically, I want the Big Muff Pi tone with the FF oscillation madness. Thoughts?

Thanks, (:

you can't get a Muff to oscillate unless you mod it to fuck. and that would be WAY more hassle than it's worth. My suggestion is to have a Muff and a FF, and use either one as you need it. I've that, and tbh, i use the Muff WAAAAAAY more than the FF.

thanks for the replies!

I listened to the Analogman Sunface and it is a little too dull i think personally:/ That was possibly just the video quality but :p

However for the video posted, was the expression pedal the guy was using a wah pedal?

Also, if getting feedback is the issue, could you not use one of those little Behringer Ultra Feedback things? Those things that allow you to force your guitar into feedback even at low volumes.

Or if you have a fernandes sustainer, you could use the feedback sustain switch?

you can make just about anything "oscillate" when you put buckets of gain into it, but by itself, like the way the FF does, not without mods. :rolleyes:

Errrrm, a big muff in a feedback loop will oscillate though, surely? I mean i've not tried a big muff specifically but every other dirt pedal I have does.

You just need two bits of wire and a pot to do this mod.

Errrrm, a big muff in a feedback loop will oscillate though, surely? I mean i've not tried a big muff specifically but every other dirt pedal I have does.

You just need two bits of wire and a pot to do this mod.

Could you explain how this mod would be done?

basically you're putting a bit of the output of the pedal back into the input, so you take a wire from the output jack (not sure which connector you'd have to play) and solder this onto the input jack (same connector I guess). This gives you a 100% feedback loop. Put a pot in the middle of this wire if you want to vary the amount of feedback.

I'd open it up and just test with a wire that you can get some oscillation going - you're not going to blow anything up.

you're not going to blow anything up.

famous last words

i have a fdb looper wired like that but the pot works kinda erratic, i think it should be wired as a voltage divider but i don't have place in the enclosure to try it out, it is a 1590A

edit: tried a muff in the loop, it is pretty interactive, all knobs, diode switch, feedback pot, pots on the guitar, pickup switcher have an effect on the oscillation

you can almost control the oscillation pitch with the guitar's volume knob but it is kinda random, it jumps 2-3 times during the pot's rotation

basically you're putting a bit of the output of the pedal back into the input, so you take a wire from the output jack (not sure which connector you'd have to play) and solder this onto the input jack (same connector I guess). This gives you a 100% feedback loop. Put a pot in the middle of this wire if you want to vary the amount of feedback.

I'd open it up and just test with a wire that you can get some oscillation going - you're not going to blow anything up.

So because you need that pot, using the behringer pedal I mentioned wouldnt work? What about putting a ringmodulator either before or after the Big Muff? Could you in some way emulate the oscillating type madness?

So because you need that pot, using the behringer pedal I mentioned wouldnt work? What about putting a ringmodulator either before or after the Big Muff? Could you in some way emulate the oscillating type madness?

So because you need that pot, using the behringer pedal I mentioned wouldnt work?

That pedal probably does the same thing chedda said internally

What about putting a ringmodulator either before or after the Big Muff?

it wont oscillate by itself

Could you in some way emulate the oscillating type madness?

you don't want to but if you do, a pot and 2 wires are the cheapest solution (like 3$)

Archived