Rachmaninov and Muse?

Finlay

Yep, you're absolutely right, my fault. But, from what I was taught in music harmony, I always thought that there were two ways of looking at a circle of fifths? Either ascending fourths or descending fifths (Em - Am - D - G - C), because of the way it's like a series of perfect cadences (Em resolves to Am, D resolves to G and so on).

Say in, erm, Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No.2 , there's quite a few circle of fifths, one of which is Cm7 - F7 - B flat 7 - E flat 7 - A7 - D, which, if you imagine playing it on a piano, could be read as either ascending fourths or descending fifths. And yep, if you retrograde it, it's definitely in fifths.

Sorry, I'm really not much good at explaining myself!

Though I may very well be wrong! :LOL:

No, no, you're right. I always think about it in terms of I - V rather than V - I because the diagrams that teachers hand out tend to be written that way!

I'm actually studying the second Brandenburg Concerto at the moment (that trumpet is so good) and remember discussing the circle-of-fifth movements. It's one of the only pieces by Bach (Baroque music in general, really) that I actually like.

Yepp Matt sure likes Rachmaninov :D

I wonder if anyone will be bothered to do what I did but with every song, let me explain.

Find the Rachmaninov song and the time in that song where there's a bit that sounds like that in a Muse song and write it down, it'd be cool.

Also, HAIL IN LONDON!! ARGH HAIL! ICE EVERYWHERE!

:stunned:

A couple of seconds after I read that I looked out my window to see a rain/hail shower start full on.

Whoever mentioned Candyman.......I tried singing Newborn over it....without success. Don't get it. The Candyman theme is in C minor for a start....it uses a different chord structure...:erm:

Eventually I'll get round to sampling it and I'll upload it. :)

I wish people'd spell it 'Rachmaninov' :LOL:

To the best of my knowledge, both ways of spelling it are correct. I believe it's something to do with the way in which Russian translates into English. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, no, you're right. I always think about it in terms of I - V rather than V - I because the diagrams that teachers hand out tend to be written that way!

I'm actually studying the second Brandenburg Concerto at the moment (that trumpet is so good) and remember discussing the circle-of-fifth movements. It's one of the only pieces by Bach (Baroque music in general, really) that I actually like.

Ah right, thanks for confirming that, because I had a sneaking suspicion I was going to make a public idiot of myself again! I can really sympathise, because I'm still trying to get my head around them (being pretty thick doesn't really help!). As it happens, I've been studying Brandenburg too (you're right, that trumpet is amazing). I'd be shot for saying this by my music teachers, but like yourself, I really don't like Bach (I just find it all a bit... clinical and, dare I say it, boring) but I really like the Brandenburg. I think there's a circle-of-fifths somewhere in that Haydn Fifths Quartet, too, if I remember rightly. The joys of A-Level Music, eh?! :p

Now if all Bach sounded like Take A Bow, then... :D

To the best of my knowledge, both ways of spelling it are correct. I believe it's something to do with the way in which Russian translates into English. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, there is no officially correct way, but the sound is more like 'V' than 'FF', as well as being a single letter in the Russian alphabet, so I like to think that the V way I learnt originally is correct, and I get quite picky about these matters of spellings :LOL:

I noticed a while ago that in Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 I: Moderato by Rachmaninov at 1:44 - 1:54 it sounded exactly like in Space Demetia at 2:32 (in the chorus) to 2:48.

And in an interview with Matt, he said that he's an ape or something compared to Rachmaninov and how Rachmaninov is so great (he is).

So are there any more Muse songs with Rachmaninov inspired parts?

Yeah I noticed that. Exactly the same. I love it. :)

Ah right, thanks for confirming that, because I had a sneaking suspicion I was going to make a public idiot of myself again! I can really sympathise, because I'm still trying to get my head around them (being pretty thick doesn't really help!). As it happens, I've been studying Brandenburg too (you're right, that trumpet is amazing). I'd be shot for saying this by my music teachers, but like yourself, I really don't like Bach (I just find it all a bit... clinical and, dare I say it, boring) but I really like the Brandenburg. I think there's a circle-of-fifths somewhere in that Haydn Fifths Quartet, too, if I remember rightly. The joys of A-Level Music, eh?! :p

Now if all Bach sounded like Take A Bow, then... :D

I haven't started studying the Haydn quartet yet. In fact, I haven't even heard it, but it's in a minor key so I'll probably find it tolerable. I just wish that I could do a solo performance instead of ensemble because it's impossible to find band scores for pieces that I actually want to play!

Yeah, there is no officially correct way, but the sound is more like 'V' than 'FF', as well as being a single letter in the Russian alphabet, so I like to think that the V way I learnt originally is correct, and I get quite picky about these matters of spellings :LOL:

The composer himself always spelt it with a 'ff' rather than a 'v'.

I haven't started studying the Haydn quartet yet. In fact, I haven't even heard it, but it's in a minor key so I'll probably find it tolerable. I just wish that I could do a solo performance instead of ensemble because it's impossible to find band scores for pieces that I actually want to play!

The composer himself always spelt it with a 'ff' rather than a 'v'.

That doesn't necessarily make it correct, else Tchaikovsky'd have double FF too :LOL:

I was listening to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 1, and there's a part in there that sounds exactly like the "and make us meaningless again" part in Space Dementia...

EXACTLY!! THAT WAS MY POINT AT THE START OF THE THREAD!!! D'OH!

I was listening to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 1, and there's a part in there that sounds exactly like the "and make us meaningless again" part in Space Dementia...

It's not Concerto No. 1 its Concerto No. 2 :)

btw last night I watched HAARP DVD and I noticed if i'm not in error, that Matt plays the 2 inicial chords of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 :D

Archived