Rachmaninov and Muse?

Finlay

It's not Concerto No. 1 its Concerto No. 2 :)

btw last night I watched HAARP DVD and I noticed if i'm not in error, that Matt plays the 2 inicial chords of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 :D

He actually plays 3, then an augmented fourth. I mentioned this earlier in the thread like.

Sorry I meant he plays the first 3 chords, and augments (or something) the fourth chord. I'm not a musician so I'm not sure what I'm talking about. :$

I am :happy: but I have to see that part again... we are talking of the same part right? end of Hoodoo??

I don't know (yet) the entire DVD from the begging to the end so I might be wrong... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmpAIWTwrI

I'm almost 100% sure those are the initial chords of Concerto No.2 :)

btw listen to the modified chords he does... he plays them for a long time live, when I listened to then live a 1 year ago I didn't like them, but now I simply love them :p They create a atmosphere much more adequated to the song. :D

EDIT: someone tell me how to embed a video here... :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmpAIWTwrI

I'm almost 100% sure those are the initial chords of Concerto No.2 :)

btw listen to the modified chords he does... he plays them for a long time live, when I listened to then live a 1 year ago I didn't like them, but now I simply love them :p They create a atmosphere much more adequated to the song. :D

EDIT: someone tell me how to embed a video here... :S

Yeah those are the same chords, the fourth (last) chord he plays is definitely a variation.

looks like it... :happy: that chord sequence is one of the coolest things on the DVD... apart from Stockholm Syndrome's Riffs :D

I was totally gutted when I saw that bit! One of my songs is based around those 4 chords. looks like it's going to have be scrapped! :LOL:

;4158787']The piano solo to butterflies and hurricanes is really rachmaninov [sp?] esque. If you listen to any rachmaninov' date=' the whole arpeggio style chords are really in Butterflies And Hurricanes.[/quote']

The strings in the cadenza have a near-exact augmented quote of the theme of the 3rd mvt. of the Concerto No. 2

• 3 weeks later...
I can hear the Plug In Baby riff in Piano concerto No.1 in f sharp minor, Op.1, 2nd mvt (andante) at around 2.54 to 3.05.

I can't quite find it, could you make a clip of the exact bit? :(

I always assumed he'd based it more off Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm so it'd be quite interesting to find that it was actually Rachmaninov too :D

I found another one in OoS which was really obscure but I can't remember where it is exactly. It makes me wonder if the entire album is based on various bits of Rachmaninov... :eek:

I can't quite find it, could you make a clip of the exact bit? :(

I always assumed he'd based it more off Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm so it'd be quite interesting to find that it was actually Rachmaninov too :D

I found another one in OoS which was really obscure but I can't remember where it is exactly. It makes me wonder if the entire album is based on various bits of Rachmaninov... :eek:

No idea how to take clips, sorry, but it's there! Around 2.24 of this vid. (Ends on 2.47)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s81kevjSjZY

And you're right, I am starting to think that maybe OoS was based on his work. It's probably what makes it such a great album.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I'm just resurrecting this thread cos I thought some of you might be interested in this article I wrote about Muse and Rachmaninoff.

<Symphony in J: Muse tracks use Rach>

Hope you enjoy it! Even if you already know about the connections, I go a bit deeper into the analysis so hopefully you'll still find it interesting. If you guys like it, I might write a sequel about more of Muse's classical influences (like a certain Chopin nocturne...).

(Sorry if this seems spammy.)

• 2 years later...

Archived