Wembley's Greatest Events

Bells

I searched and didn't find anything about it.

Wembley Stadium has announced plans to host its biggest ever battle as 25 legendary events go head to head to be crowned the stadium’s ‘greatest ever’. In the ultimate clash of the titans footballing legends Stuart Pearce and Geoff Hurst find themselves up against rock n’ roll royalty in the form of Queen and the Rolling Stones with wildcards Evel Knievel and Martin Offiah battling for fan votes and the coveted title.

On the shortlist revealed today there are some outstanding contenders for the title which will be decided online at http://www.wembleystadium.com/greatestevent. From Queen’s show-stealing performance at Live Aid; to Muse and the Foo Fighters headlining at the home of football; Henry Cooper knocking down a young Cassius Clay; Michael Jackson’s record breaking ‘Bad’ tour; Martin Offiah’s spectacular solo try in the Challenge Cup Final; and Evil Knievel’s dare devil attempt to jump the length of 13 buses. Wembley Stadium has witnessed it all and now fans must log on to register their vote if their favourite is to stand a chance of winning.

The shortlist has been brought to life online where fans can see photos and footage from each event as well as accessing exclusive interviews from the people who took centre stage. The winning event will receive a dedicated installation within the ground ensuring that it has a permanent place in Wembley’s rich history and fans’ hearts.

Everyone who votes and signs up online for the Wembley newsletter will be rewarded with a kids go free offer on the Wembley Stadium Tour (terms and conditions apply) allowing them to see where their magical moment happened. One lucky winner will also receive a memorable day at Wembley Stadium when they enjoy exclusive access to a Club Wembley VIP box for 20 people to watch England take on World Cup finalists Holland this August.

Stuart Pearce, whose penalty for England against Spain in Euro 1996 and the resulting celebration is shortlisted, said of his goal: “The memories of Turin weren’t even in my mind that day at Wembley because when I was walking up to take the kick I knew that the whole stadium and country were behind me. Usually the stadium and the noise is a blur, but not on that day at Wembley. The celebration was spontaneous and that photograph of me in the aftermath of the penalty is still the one I’m asked to sign by fans.”

The Wembley Greatest Event vote kicks off another massive summer of entertainment which includes the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup Final and the sold out Take That Progress Live tour.

Muse's 2007 Haarp tour spectacle is one of the events you can vote. :)

LINK

Queen.

UFOs and video screens need not apply.

UFOs at Wembley 2007?

OP: Before posting contests like these, you have to remember that 3/4 of the people will probably not vote for Muse, therefore making it better off that they didn't know about it in the first place. Just a little advice ;)

hm, bit illogical seeing many visitors and members will not post and vote muse. one reason why is probably because they think they'll be hassled for their opinion. if someone votes muse, it's their choice.

Well, it was the exact same balloon minus a foil covering.

yeah but at least the balloon at haarp looked good. the ufo just looked like tinfoil, and silly.

i still think the visuals and extras make muse shows better, because in a stadium like wembley, you feel so far away from the stage, but the visuals make you feel that little bit closer. in my opinion anyway.

OP: Before posting contests like these, you have to remember that 3/4 of the people will probably not vote for Muse, therefore making it better off that they didn't know about it in the first place. Just a little advice ;)

This is a muse messageboard, right? Contests posted in section will necessarily have to do with Muse. :)

By the way, I voted Live Aid because of Queen's iconic performance. Ultimate epicness.

Bloody hell how did a rugby league match get in there? Totally surprised :LOL:

I would probably go for Queen. Muse in 2007 was amazing and a great personal experience but there's just something about the footage of Queen that's on a whole other level.

But I like both bands so am happy either way.

As long as the '66 round ball final doesn't win!

As long as the '66 round ball final doesn't win!

Why not?

Wembley is primarily a football stadium, not a gig venue and never understood why rugby league games are held there, I guess it's to give northerners a day out. :p

Why not?

Wembley is primarily a football stadium, not a gig venue and never understood why rugby league games are held there, I guess it's to give northerners a day out. :p

But it's such a boring choice if it does win. Also surely I can't be the only one who is fed up of being reminded every time we have a world cup that we won it this one time? Got to the point where I risk upsetting the boyfriend by hoping England win it some time soon so we won't have to hear about '66 anymore.

Oh and by the way the Challenge Cup has been held at Wembley since 1926, the reason being to give the game more exposure and give the supporters a day out. So it's not like it has a short history with Wembley :p

But it's such a boring choice if it does win. Also surely I can't be the only one who is fed up of being reminded every time we have a world cup that we won it this one time? Got to the point where I risk upsetting the boyfriend by hoping England win it some time soon so we won't have to hear about '66 anymore.

Oh and by the way the Challenge Cup has been held at Wembley since 1926, the reason being to give the game more exposure and give the supporters a day out. So it's not like it has a short history with Wembley :p

It would be boring and just as sick of hearing about it, but England winning the World Cup in the home of English football against the Germans?

I don't think Hollywood could have come up with a more perfect script.

I'm aware of the long association, just a strange one to me! But then I guess Wembley (The area itself) is a complete shithole, so northerners won't feel too out of their depth. :p Wouldn't want them let loose in Twickenham, think of what it would do to the house prices! :noey:

Archived