Uprising => Egypt

rymden

I think it would be SOOOO cool, fitting, and timely if Muse did a video to Uprising using media footage from the past two weeks in Egypt - how freaking appropriate!!! What they accomplished in Egypt tonight speaks EXACTLY to this song. Yes??!!

Well I don't think they should do anything like that, but I reckon Matt has probably been following what has happened in Egypt. This is the kind of thing he predicted and right up his street I should think, especially as the Uprising was produced by a coming together of the people via the internet!

A great thing has happened in Egypt today.:D But we still need to hope that it has a happy ending and a peaceful move to democracy in Egypt. :)

A great thing has happened in Egypt today.:D But we still need to hope that it has a happy ending and a peaceful move to democracy in Egypt. :)

The Islamic world has never been a great advert for democracy (Just look at Iran!). Not that I've read anything into the people behind this one.

The Islamic world has never been a great advert for democracy (Just look at Iran!). Not that I've read anything into the people behind this one.

But this is the first time anything like this has happened in many many years. In fact it has never happened in the same way, as it has happened because of the internet! Though there is an Islamic opposition group involved, the main people reported to be behind it are the ordinary Egyptian people who have come together via the internet. That is one reason why it is being seen as historic. It was said earlier that the Egyptian people haven't stood up to their leaders so determinedly for thousands of years. Though the army has the power, that is being seen as short term. Feedback from the rest of he world has been cautiously optimistic so though I can see your point, and I remember the euphoria when Sadam Hussein went so no one is out of the woods, I think there is still hope, especially as the protest has been peaceful and supported by people from lots of different walks of life apparently.

I think it would be SOOOO cool, fitting, and timely if Muse did a video to Uprising using media footage from the past two weeks in Egypt - how freaking appropriate!!! What they accomplished in Egypt tonight speaks EXACTLY to this song. Yes??!!

Someone probably will do a video using Uprising but I don't think it's going to be Muse. I agree that it's a fitting song though. :)

It's great to see he finally stepped down but I fear it's going to get a lot worse before it get's better. I've spoken to a few people in Egypt through other forums and they were against the protests because of the likely consequences of all this. :(

But this is the first time anything like this has happened in many many years. In fact it has never happened in the same way, as it has happened because of the internet!

The internet being involved doesn't make a difference and "the people" doesn't mean the majority of them aren't far right nutjobs out to impose more restrictions on themselves in a bizarre attempt to distance themselves as much from "the west" as possible.

I do hope that isn't the case mind!

The internet being involved doesn't make a difference and "the people" doesn't mean the majority of them aren't far right nutjobs out to impose more restrictions on themselves in a bizarre attempt to distance themselves as much from "the west" as possible.

I do hope that isn't the case mind!

Well apparently they have been campaigning for a voting democracy and different religious groups have been campaigning peacefully alongside each other (Christians and Muslims) so that doesn't sound like they are trying to produce an Islamic state and distance themselves from the west. Obviously we will have to see how things evolve however.

I think right now it's a lot more important to hope that a radical group doesn't use this situation to take charge and treat the people as bad as or even worse than before. I'd like to believe this will have nothing but good results on the Egyptians but we must remember these are troubled times and therefore, dangerous.

Oh and about muse. No. What have they ever actually done to rage against the system and be looked up to at times like these??

I think what the OP was saying is that the song Uprising is appropriate. I think the song is more regarding an uprising against Capitalist governments but drawing parellels to Totalitarianism. I think basically it could be said that the song is symbolic of what has followed it.

It is a rousing protest song that has captured a mood and that's cool. That's the kind of thing good art does.

It wouldn't surprise me if some young Egyptian eventually puts his own compilation of protest footage on YT with "Uprising" or something similarly-themed for unlicensed background music, but I'm not comfy with the idea of Muse (or any other band) having anything to do with the co-optation of this real news event for their own commercial purposes -- and not just because the outcome of this uprising remains to be resolved.

It's easy to overlook, in the flush of the historical moment, how 300+ protestors were killed in Egypt over the past couple of weeks. Their sacrifice must be respected.

It wouldn't surprise me if some young Egyptian eventually puts his own compilation of protest footage on YT with "Uprising" or something similarly-themed for unlicensed background music, but I'm not comfy with the idea of Muse (or any other band) having anything to do with the co-optation of this real news event for their own commercial purposes -- and not just because the outcome of this uprising remains to be resolved.

It's easy to overlook, in the flush of the historical moment, how 300+ protestors were killed in Egypt over the past couple of weeks. Their sacrifice must be respected.

Was it as much as 300? I thought it was a hundred and something but yes, of course, their sacrifice must be respected. If it wasn't for their bravery and the bravery of the protesters who continued to protest despite that risk, they wouldn't be where they are today.

I think Muse have used real war footage though haven't they in their tour videos? However I see that more as political than commercial. Well not exactly of political motive but containing political feeling which is different but not exploitive. Reflecting the real world in art, is good. I think it would be too early for Muse to use footage of the Egyptian protests in their stage show though.

On another point their resigned president should now be arrested and put on trial for crimes against his own people!

matt could walk the talk, like bono. not like anything was stopping him before.

exactly what i mean, it's a lot of talk, nothing more. i despise bono cos of it lol and imo uprising lyrics really don't express the anger involved in this revolution.

i could see a band like rage against the machine representing a situation like this simply because the actually GO to the places they talk about and express themselves. which is why they've been to israel twice. i admire them for that.

exactly what i mean, it's a lot of talk, nothing more. i despise bono cos of it lol and imo uprising lyrics really don't express the anger involved in this revolution.

i could see a band like rage against the machine representing a situation like this simply because the actually GO to the places they talk about and express themselves. which is why they've been to israel twice. i admire them for that.

It's not even a lot of talk, it's just Bellamy writing a song about an ambiguous situation which has been retrospectively applied to so many different situations - it's like the song-based version of cold calling :LOL:

I believe Tom Morello is part of a thing with Serj Tankian (who was born in Lebanon) trying to unite music fans in fighting social injustices.

Re. the 300+ figure, I've heard it twice in the past couple of days, both times as quotes from protest organizers/activists or Egypt-watchers, most recently from about twenty minutes ago on NPR's national news program. I can't verify the accuracy of that figure, of course, but FWIW there was an ominous report (I'm pretty sure I saw it on Reddit during the uprising's first week) that Egyptian doctors were being ordered by the [secret] police to not report gunshot casualties from the protests.

And I haven't been following videos of the protests all that much, but even I have seen video of two incidents in which large police [prisoner transport] vans were deliberately plowed into large numbers of protesters. With that kind of shit going on (that we know of), I'm surprised the figures aren't even higher, like in the 1989 Tiananmen Square range (possibly 3000+ killed, but given the Chinese government's continuing secrecy and defensiveness regarding those protests, who knows?).

It will probably be some time before a final casualty figure emerges, and it'll likely always be disputed...

It's not even a lot of talk, it's just Bellamy writing a song about an ambiguous situation which has been retrospectively applied to so many different situations - it's like the song-based version of cold calling :LOL:

I believe Tom Morello is part of a thing with Serj Tankian (who was born in Lebanon) trying to unite music fans in fighting social injustices.

Axis of Justice :) I donated money through their website ages ago and they sent me a double CD, really good too imo. These guys are so talented and both actually seem to know what they're talking about. Living under war, constant threat and trying to do something about it and against the hate.

:stunned:

Archived