Panasonic DMC-ZS3 for Muse

Bruceleeroy

There's some discussion of that camera on this thread: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=76551&highlight=camera

I have only used mine (a ZS1) at one gig so far, but got some really nice pics. I don't remember the exact setting, but most likely it was just on Auto. After trying different things, I found that the flash seemed to help a lot, but you can't use a flash on Burst mode.

Also, I read recently that people have had success using the Scene setting, and selecting High Burst shooting within Scene, or something like that. My camera doesn't have that option with the Scene setting, so I've no first hand experience.

I have the ZS7 and it's pretty good, I usually just take all my videos in HD because motion jpg looks like crap. the only problem is that it takes up alot of memory space so I bought an 8G card for it.

As for pictures I just put it in automatic settings and let the camera do the work for me :)

I have some muse pics up now on my flickr account if you want to take a look.

Thanks for the response guys I appreciate it.

I would love to see your pics Soret. When you say auto were you just having it on a Scene or on Picture Auto? I assume you force the flash to stay off.

Well for the California gigs I made a custom scene mode where I changed a bunch of settings (mostly for high speed taking) sadly It backfired on me and I didn't take many good shots with this setting. So i switched back to IA - Intelligent Auto and it seemed to work fine again. Some people like using the high speed burst setting but I think it dosen't do as good of a job as letting the camera do the work. :happy: This is just my opinnion and how I like to take my shots so mby if you play around with the settings you can find something your comfortable with. All I can say is IA is the ideal mode for me.

Yes the flash, I don't know up to how many meters it works in this camera but not nearly enough, It would be nice to have a professional flash but that's not going to happen when security sees it and takes it away. It would be nice to have since Matt moves around so much and most of the pictures end up fairly blurry around his guitar/arms

My pictures are in my flickr account and my Deviantart account in the links below my avatar. The new pictures will be in deviantart first though. I have edited the pictures slighty to brighten them up a bit. Hope I helped :happy:

I'm a Lumix n00b and would like to know if you use the same settings for photos and videos?

I do:happy: I just have mine on the IA setting, I haven't tried the windcut feature so I don't know if It improves the sound quality at all.

I do:happy: I just have mine on the IA setting, I haven't tried the windcut feature so I don't know if It improves the sound quality at all.

Thanks! How much time in video and how many photos do you usually get from one battery at that setting? Also, how big is your memory card? I'd like to do both but don't want to run out of juice before the encores.

So glad this thread came up. :LOL:

I was looking at either the TZ7 or it's upgraded model the TZ10.

I'm not a professional by any means when it comes to cameras but i've read some reviews about the TZ10 having poorer sound quality than it's predecessor? I tend to be up front for concerts and sound quality of the recording is a dealbreaker for me :LOL:

So really, if the quality is the same then I'd opt for the (cheaper) TZ7 but if manual settings of shutter speed, exposure settings etc. is a major player in quality of photos AND the sound isn't as bad as people say it is on the TZ10, then TZ10 it is. Sidenote; I don't need a GPS on a camera so TZ7 is the one i'm leaning towards :)

I did a little light searching on YouTube comparing vids shot with both cameras and the sound was an issue on the TZ10, but that could always have something to do with settings the users changed.

TZ7:

Great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSPh-ZWb7A

Not so great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0VMO2NX_28

TZ10:

Good, then drops in and out (might be the recorder covering the mic or something?)

Not so great:

Any advice on this would be muchly appreciated :D

EDIT: sorry the other three YouTube links are just links, I hit the limit on the first two :LOL:

Thanks! How much time in video and how many photos do you usually get from one battery at that setting? Also, how big is your memory card? I'd like to do both but don't want to run out of juice before the encores.

Well I have a 8GB SDHC http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards-

So it gives you about an hour of just video and around 1,600 pictures if you set the megapixels to 12 (best quality). If you want to take photos at 3.2 megapixels you can hold around 32,000 pictures.

I remember being really worried about the price because my camera was already $400 dollars and adding $100 for a memory card seemed steep to me. :LOL: The salesman I bought my camera from adviced me to get a bigger card If i wanted to take HD videos and he was extremly right because those videos take up quite a bit of space.

Are you just seeing one concert? :erm: because you should be fine then. I think I took 400 photos at my first muse concert and a 5 or 6 videos (some of which were too big to put on youtube) but when I saw them in California I was worried I wouldn't have enough space even for one concert since I was traveling around a few days before the shows started. So I ended up filling a 2G and an 8G by the end of the trip. I blame this on videos.

I would say go for the 8G because you usually don't have to worry if your card is going to be full.

So glad this thread came up. :LOL:

I was looking at either the TZ7 or it's upgraded model the TZ10.

I'm not a professional by any means when it comes to cameras but i've read some reviews about the TZ10 having poorer sound quality than it's predecessor? I tend to be up front for concerts and sound quality of the recording is a dealbreaker for me :LOL:

So really, if the quality is the same then I'd opt for the (cheaper) TZ7 but if manual settings of shutter speed, exposure settings etc. is a major player in quality of photos AND the sound isn't as bad as people say it is on the TZ10, then TZ10 it is. Sidenote; I don't need a GPS on a camera so TZ7 is the one i'm leaning towards :)

I did a little light searching on YouTube comparing vids shot with both cameras and the sound was an issue on the TZ10, but that could always have something to do with settings the users changed.

TZ7:

Great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSPh-ZWb7A

Not so great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0VMO2NX_28

TZ10:

Good, then drops in and out (might be the recorder covering the mic or something?)

Not so great:

Any advice on this would be muchly appreciated :D

EDIT: sorry the other three YouTube links are just links, I hit the limit on the first two :LOL:

Well I don't think any camera is good at getting sound quality that close up. I know the bass is extremly choppy in my videos, If I was farther back in the stands somewhere then the quality would be better. I know personally that my camera has Dolby Sound and It takes good audio recordings when I'm not at concerts :chuckle:

Well I have a 8GB SDHC http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards-

So it gives you about an hour of just video and around 1,600 pictures if you set the megapixels to 12 (best quality). If you want to take photos at 3.2 megapixels you can hold around 32,000 pictures.

I remember being really worried about the price because my camera was already $400 dollars and adding $100 for a memory card seemed steep to me. :LOL: The salesman I bought my camera from adviced me to get a bigger card If i wanted to take HD videos and he was extremly right because those videos take up quite a bit of space.

Are you just seeing one concert? :erm: because you should be fine then. I think I took 400 photos at my first muse concert and a 5 or 6 videos (some of which were too big to put on youtube) but when I saw them in California I was worried I wouldn't have enough space even for one concert since I was traveling around a few days before the shows started. So I ended up filling a 2G and an 8G by the end of the trip. I blame this on videos.

I would say go for the 8G because you usually don't have to worry if your card is going to be full.

Thank you, soret, for answering my questions. I have a spare battery and a 16 GB HD card so it sounds like I'll be OK. If you don't mind, could you please look at your menu in the IA setting and tell me exactly what you have everything set to? I'm only going to the Raleigh show so I have one shot to get it right. :$

Thank you, soret, for answering my questions. I have a spare battery and a 16 GB HD card so it sounds like I'll be OK. If you don't mind, could you please look at your menu in the IA setting and tell me exactly what you have everything set to? I'm only going to the Raleigh show so I have one shot to get it right. :$

Tbh you need to play around and find what's the best setting for you... Soret mentioned that they get their best pictures using the IA settings whereas using the same camera I shoot all my pictures on the high speed burst setting and it works much better for me than the IA setting in a gig environment... everybody feels comfortable with different settings so might need to try a couple to find the one that's right for you... My advice is do some testing during the support act to see what works best.

Tbh you need to play around and find what's the best setting for you... Soret mentioned that they get their best pictures using the IA settings whereas using the same camera I shoot all my pictures on the high speed burst setting and it works much better for me than the IA setting in a gig environment... everybody feels comfortable with different settings so might need to try a couple to find the one that's right for you... My advice is do some testing during the support act to see what works best.

Your photos are wonderful! I'm willing to try anything and will do as you suggested, and practice during Metrc's set. When you say you use the high speed burst setting, which mode are you setting the dial to? Or do you create a custom setting? I really do appreciate the advice--thank you!

Your photos are wonderful! I'm willing to try anything and will do as you suggested, and practice during Metrc's set. When you say you use the high speed burst setting, which mode are you setting the dial to? Or do you create a custom setting? I really do appreciate the advice--thank you!

Thanks, I really enjoy taking gig pictures. I have my settings saved in my MS1 setting - I basically choose "High Speed Burst" scene 3M quality and then "Speed Priority" choosing speed over image quality helps getting clear shots and I don't really see a decrease in the image quality. The only thing is every time you hit that button it will take loads of pictures in a few seconds so be ready after the gig to sift thru your pictures to only keep the great ones. I sometimes use the features on my iPhotos software as well to improve contrast and sharpness.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I really enjoy taking gig pictures. I have my settings saved in my MS1 setting - I basically choose "High Speed Burst" scene 3M quality and then "Speed Priority" choosing speed over image quality helps getting clear shots and I don't really see a decrease in the image quality. The only thing is every time you hit that button it will take loads of pictures in a few seconds so be ready after the gig to sift thru your pictures to only keep the great ones. I sometimes use the features on my iPhotos software as well to improve contrast and sharpness.

Hope that helps.

It definitely helps--thank you!

After much deliberation i've gone with the TZ10.. Just updating on my rant :LOL:

Congrats on your new purchase. :awesome:

Oh very good, I don't think you will need the spare battery though, it takes a while for the battery to be completley dead.

Pretty much what L. said :yesey:

After much deliberation i've gone with the TZ10.. Just updating on my rant :LOL:

:happy: Congrats, they are great cameras so you wont be dissapointed.

Archived