If you live in a nice part of London, I see no reason to choose Bristol over it. You could take all the things going on in Bristol and times it by a thousand for London. Whatever you like. The arts, culinary delights, museums, celebrity fixations, nightlife, music, multiculturalism, eclectic scenes, theatre, sport etc, etc. Bristol and any city in the UK fall short. It's easily the best city in the UK, easily.

People go on about London being crime ridden, dirty. You'd expect that from a city of 8 million... But tell me, have you ever been to Birmingham? Manchester? Liverpool? Glasgow? Those cities are the definition of shitholes. London is certainly miles more pretty and charming then the other big cities of the UK.

The only two cities I rate outside of London are Newcastle and Leeds. Neither have the vibrancy of London tho.

We could go on all month about this.

If you took out nightlife, you could say that about somewhere like Bath (It has decent pubs, but no decent clubs to be honest). :LOL: And that has a population of 80,000.

London does have everything, but it's size works against it as well. :) If you took a Bristol or pretty much any other city sized chunk out of London, I'm not sure that chunk would keep up with whatever city you were comparing to.

If you took out nightlife, you could say that about somewhere like Bath (It has decent pubs, but no decent clubs to be honest). :LOL: And that has a population of 80,000.

I'm not stating London is the only city in the UK to experience those. I'm saying it's the best for experiencing those. London's size only goes against it if you don't like big cities.

London does have everything, but it's size works against it as well. :) If you took a Bristol or pretty much any other city sized chunk out of London, I'm not sure that chunk would keep up with whatever city you were comparing to.

Ok... The chunk I choose to take out is the West End. Nope... The chunk is still more vibrant.

Not saying London is bad, just that if I had a home in France, I'd want to keep it and only have a stop gap place in London.

I stay in London a lot, I'm not alien to it's appeal but I've also been to France and, well, it's just prettier there.

Well I doubt Dom's moving to London for the scenery but to be near his best friends, which is lovely. :happy: Plus it's England, it's home. I hope it works out.

Maybe Dom will retain his home in France as well.

Nonsense. Everything in London is more expensive. It's a huge city and you can't expect to travel everywhere on bus. The London Underground is the world's most expensive underground network, I spend £125 quid a month getting from and too work. I just been in Lisbon where I travelled 20km for 1.40 Euros. In Geneva you can get an all day bus and rail travel card for 2.50 Euros. I spend £200 a month just to have breakfast and lunch at work. It's ridiculous. There is an average price upmark on every day products of roughly 30% compared to the rest of the UK. You could never tell me Medway is more expensive. London will make a less wealthy person broke in months.

Plus a home in France may be 'pretty' but is all you want from life is a pretty view? What about the shopping, the history, the nightlife, the culture etc etc? I'm sure with Muse's money they can get property in Hamstead, London which is absolutely gorgeous.

It's not nonsense.

I was talking about traveling IN london, you're talking about traveling into and out of. You travel from County to county anywhere in UK it's going to empty your wallet.

You try traveling around inside medway for the same prices as london, same miles and you'll be shocked at the hitch in the price.

You say london underground is the most expensive, well maybe it is but at least you have one. You also have night buses.

Forget trying to get a bus anywhere after 7 or 8 pm in Kent. It's like a dead zone.

My boyfriend lives in London, he used to think the same way as you until he spent a week with me down here. The food costs more, the taxis cost more and nothing is reliable.

Not that it matters. You've made your mind up that I'm wrong, even though I've travelled all over the UK and compared prices. *sigh*

Well I doubt Dom's moving to London for the scenery but to be near his best friends, which is lovely. :happy: Plus it's England, it's home. I hope it works out.

Maybe Dom will retain his home in France as well.

That wasn't my only post on the subject Carrie.

It's not nonsense.

I was talking about traveling IN london, you're talking about traveling into and out of. You travel from County to county anywhere in UK it's going to empty your wallet.

You try traveling around inside medway for the same prices as london, same miles and you'll be shocked at the hitch in the price.

You say london underground is the most expensive, well maybe it is but at least you have one. You also have night buses.

Forget trying to get a bus anywhere after 7 or 8 pm in Kent. It's like a dead zone.

My boyfriend lives in London, he used to think the same way as you until he spent a week with me down here. The food costs more, the taxis cost more and nothing is reliable.

Not that it matters. You've made your mind up that I'm wrong, even though I've travelled all over the UK and compared prices. *sigh*

I don't care what your boyfriend thinks. London is factually the most expensive place to live in the UK. I used to live in Hertfordshire out in the stix. The black cabs here are miles more expensive than county cabs. I was also born in Gillingham so I know the deal with Kent. You're pissing on my back and telling me it's raining. Everything is more expensive here bar travelling on a bus. And the reason that it's cheaper here for a bus is because us Londoners need to travel on a bus/tube considerably more than people outside. Public transport is an intrinsic part of London life. One bus journey may cost just £1... but we make hundreds of journeys a month on public transport, thus we spend considerably more over the year.

Please don't feed me drivel that food and cabs are more expensive in Kent. I'll just laugh.

:erm: I didn't realise it was an important issue. I'm just happy about what they've decided to do and I hope it actually comes to fruition. :)

Guessing there is a reason why he moved to France in the first place.

Now I'm lost!

PS I doubt Muse are worrying about the cost of living in making their choices! :chuckle:

Do you pour your shit into the streets over there? Only way I can imagine anywhere being filthier than London (Nothing is lovelier than blowing your nose after being in London).

that made me :chuckle: I got a cold while I was visiting London, and yeah, I noticed that *ewwww*

Guessing there is a reason why he moved to France in the first place.

Yeah, I heard he had this neighbor in London who wouldn't stop going on about the place, talked constantly about how London was the best thing ever, kept bringining it up at random times etc... it got so bad he left the country to get away from him... he used to refer to the guy by initials... can't remember what they were, though... think there was an M and a T in there somewhere but I can't remember....

;):p

I don't care what your boyfriend thinks. London is factually the most expensive place to live in the UK. I used to live in Hertfordshire out in the stix. The black cabs here are miles more expensive than county cabs. I was also born in Gillingham so I know the deal with Kent. You're pissing on my back and telling me it's raining. Everything is more expensive here bar travelling on a bus. And the reason that it's cheaper here for a bus is because us Londoners need to travel on a bus/tube considerably more than people outside. Public transport is an intrinsic part of London life. One bus journey may cost just £1... but we make hundreds of journeys a month on public transport, thus we spend considerably more over the year.

Please don't feed me drivel that food and cabs are more expensive in Kent. I'll just laugh.

When was the last time you were in Kent?

When was the last time you were in Kent?

PS...

Give me one good reason why your every day consumer items would be more expensive in Kent. Why would a packet of crisps or a can of coke on average be more expensive? There's no reason. I honestly am astounded you generally believe Kent to be more expensive. I can cite a million and one links which will clarify you're chatting nonsense.

It is certified that there is price fluctuations in line with price of property. London is by far and away the most costly for property in the UK. Common trends dictate that general consumer items are made more expensive in line with the wealth of the area.

If you're talking about food in restaurants. I suggest your boyfriend stops taking you to the local kebab house when in London. I could take you to a thousand and one restaurants in London where you'll need to remortgage your house.

Now, please, no more nonsense about Kent being expensive.

I'm not stating London is the only city in the UK to experience those. I'm saying it's the best for experiencing those. London's size only goes against it if you don't like big cities.

It's nothing to do with liking big cities or not.

You're forgetting just how big London is and the best places to go at any particular time aren't right next to each other or within a reasonable distance. If you were to start comparing the amount of time spent getting to those places to other cities/towns and where you can get to within those times, London doesn't quite stack up. On Muse's last tour, people from my town were choosing to go to Birmingham over the O2 because it's quicker to get there, despite the O2 actually being closer and getting to London taking less time.

It's a great city, just not a great place to live or experience anything to do with the UK!

PS...

Give me one good reason why your every day consumer items would be more expensive in Kent. Why would a packet of crisps or a can of coke on average be more expensive? There's no reason. I honestly am astounded you generally believe Kent to be more expensive. I can cite a million and one links which will clarify you're chatting nonsense.

It is certified that there is price fluctuations in line with price of property. London is by far and away the most costly for property in the UK. Common trends dictate that general consumer items are made more expensive in line with the wealth of the area.

If you're talking about food in restaurants. I suggest your boyfriend stops taking you to the local kebab house when in London. I could take you to a thousand and one restaurants in London where you'll need to remortgage your house.

Now, please, no more nonsense about Kent being expensive.

Depends on your perspective.

And I'm taking this debate to PM because it's got feck all to do with my original post HAS it?

Yeah, I heard he had this neighbor in London who wouldn't stop going on about the place, talked constantly about how London was the best thing ever, kept bringining it up at random times etc... it got so bad he left the country to get away from him... he used to refer to the guy by initials... can't remember what they were, though... think there was an M and a T in there somewhere but I can't remember....

;):p

I heard Nice was quite good for ferrets in binliners!

Archived