Cryosleep , by Matt Bellamy

Claudia O

Take a bow is ok, some bits sound like the original recording some bits you can feel the years on the voice (and that's ok). I hope it's an indication that perhaps we'll get a pure piano muse track, I'm struggling to think of anything since Exogenesis where I felt Matt was trying to do something interesting other than mess around with waveforms on a synthesiser.

Would have preferred a version of Shine on Jeff's guitar or possibly Spiral Static as both those tracks have his influence at its strongest. Perhaps a full out cover could be in order for the future. But please for the love of God, stop trying to make Guiding Light a thing....

On 7/19/2021 at 9:17 PM, Silentgod86 said:

Would have preferred a version of Shine on Jeff's guitar or possibly Spiral Static as both those tracks have his influence at its strongest. Perhaps a full out cover could be in order for the future. But please for the love of God, stop trying to make Guiding Light a thing....

Time for a ‘Jeff’s Guitar’ EP. It would be blasphemous and tacky, but he’s passed that station anyway with Guiding light, so what the hell. 

Spiral Static

Shine

Falling Down

Unintended

FAWY

Hoodoo

Endlessly (maybe?)

Animals (Doing a Knopfler on Buckley’s guitar, fuck it)

Nishe

And then a guitar version of Feeling Good to mirror Lilac Wine. 

Guiding Light (instrumental) 

Anything else? A completely reworked soulful version Uno, maybe? 

On 7/19/2021 at 9:17 PM, Silentgod86 said:

I'm struggling to think of anything since Exogenesis where I felt Matt was trying to do something interesting other than mess around with waveforms on a synthesiser.

The Void does it for me

2 hours ago, Hat said:

The Void does it for me

Did have a listen to the Void shortly after making that comment and it has grown on me somewhat. But one song out of three albums over 9 years is a bit disappointing considering the pedigree of the first four albums.

Absolutely. Sadly, I don't really like that the piano has turned into either a background instrument or just an instrument for ballads. The Void (acoustic, which I still can't believe didn't get strings. Criminal) and Isolated System are both great though. 

^ add Algorithm to this conversation also please

I’ll be honest, in terms of compelling piano usage, I don’t think the balance has been that different between the 2 halves of their career. I’d like a deeper dive into synth stuff personally, feels like that has the most untapped potential.

I wouldn't mind a deeper dive into synths but considering Simulation Theory barely got past the intro to Stranger Things, I have severe doubts. Muse tend to dabble with a genre for an album but get bored of it before they even finish recording. The problem with synths is that it plays to Matt's excesses, adding layer upon layer but contributing little, which ends up with songs that are completely limp live. Synths should augment the piano and guitar pieces, not replace them.

10 hours ago, Silentgod86 said:

I wouldn't mind a deeper dive into synths but considering Simulation Theory barely got past the intro to Stranger Things, I have severe doubts. Muse tend to dabble with a genre for an album but get bored of it before they even finish recording. The problem with synths is that it plays to Matt's excesses, adding layer upon layer but contributing little, which ends up with songs that are completely limp live. Synths should augment the piano and guitar pieces, not replace them.

Don’t get me wrong, ‘less is more’ is never completely irrelevant, but has excess not always kinda been a big part of Muse’s pull? Don’t really understand the idea that a synth should only be used to back the instruments they’re more known for either, making it the primary instrument for a change seems like it’d be way more likely to result in something new.

By the sounds of Matt’s current solo stuff and how he’s described the stuff he makes alone, I think there’s a decent chance he could make something quite different - more heady and less bombastic.

With Muse, I do think ST was probably their ‘synth’ album tbh and it was a decent step up from what they’d dabbled with before but I’d like something that really went all in. You never know though, if they wanna avoid repeating themselves I can’t think of many other places they have left to go.

Simulation Theory was my favourite album since...probably BH&R, but what they did with synths felt less like them perfecting the sound they had dabbled in before and more like just leaving it behind to copy a particular synthwave sound. I don't see much continuity other than just "they used synths". 

"Synths should augment the piano and guitar pieces, not replace them" is a pretty strange take though. There's plenty of artists who simply make synth music with the synth as the main instrument. 

15 hours ago, Hat said:

"Synths should augment the piano and guitar pieces, not replace them" is a pretty strange take though. There's plenty of artists who simply make synth music with the synth as the main instrument. 

I just meant Muse in this categorisation. Maybe with the exception of the Dark side and parts of the Void, there's nothing on ST which felt like they were doing anything interesting with the synths. I think Muse do excel when they when they incorporate these elements into their own sound like in Space Dementia, Bliss,  Isolated System and Map of the Problematique. Muse have always felt more interesting when they blend genres rather than chasing the zeitgeist. I really love Pressure and Break It To Me because they fuse their pop and hard guitar instincts into really catchy melodies. 

Opinions vary I know, and Muse can't be doing the same thing every album, but I'd like to see them work a bit harder, like write 15 or 16 songs and leave some on the cutting floor (or god forbid b-sides even!), rather than 10-11 tracks with no sense of quality control.

• 8 months later...