Pick-ups used by M.B. Are they worth buying?

Protonix

Is buying a pup without trying it out a good idea?

it's not a good idea per se but it's often the only option given that it's unlikely you can try them out in your own guitar, a lot of places allow you to exchange them if you dont get on with them

I don't see why you all of a sudden want to order a set of iron gear pickups because they look nice. Rewiring a pickup isn't hard, I was re-wiring pickups younger that what you are now with no experience what so ever and they all work just as they should. Generally, depending on your guitar, there's usually only around 5 wires that are actually need to be soldered to something, its not really rocket science. If you don't feel comfortable with wiring them yourself, 5 pounds is nothing to get someone to wire them up. Also, since your guitar is so 'ancient' and not that good, I really don't get the point of trying to buy new pickups and basically, try to polish up a turd. Like others have said, spend your 120 pounds on something worth it like a new amp which goes a lot more towards your tone than your pickups or a new guitar.

it's not a good idea per se but it's often the only option given that it's unlikely you can try them out in your own guitar, a lot of places allow you to exchange them if you dont get on with them

kev, I would try them, but I'm pretty far from any shop that sells these.

cam, I'll rewire them as soon as I can. I never said that I'll buy a pickup that costs like a new guitar. Topher told me about these irongear pups. they look ok, and as I heard, and from some experience i have, I like the humbucker sound a bit more. So I'll rewire the two and buy a humbucker. the only problem is that I can't try any of these pickups I'd like to buy.....

In which way? Could you please explain? I think i don't have a on-off switch on my guitar.:$

Well if you don't know where your guitars on/off switch or Reset button is, that probably explains why your pickups are dead... perhaps the guy that did whatever to the pickguard accidentally reset it but didn't recalibrate the magnets..

Archived