Muse defy the Oxegen elements

bunerz

Has bits of interviews with Dom and Chris.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0711/breaking3.html

Muse completed their headline performance at Oxegen last night with the band’s usual big sound and light show.

It rained all day yesterday for the luckless festival, which never seems to catch a break with the weather, although today is promised dry in parts.

Muse drummer Dominic Howard said he had been told Oxegen now had bad weather for five years in a row. “I feel sorry for the people who are getting rained on all day,” he said. “Normally, spirits are pretty good even though it is raining - you have to make it a good time, and the will and spirit of the people make it a positive experience.

“It is a shame because it has been so beautiful recently. Unfortunately, the weather makes a difference because at Glastonbury you get jaded when it is raining, but this year everybody was in a good mood,” he said.

The band opened up with the popular Plug In Baby , which Howard said was chosen because it was an upbeat number that he hoped would cheer the crowd up.

Bass player Chris Wolstenholme moved with his wife and four children to Dublin at the end of April. They are currently living in a rented house in Foxrock and are looking for something more permanent. They are also expecting a fifth child.

He said people had warned him about the weather in Ireland but it had been sunny since they arrived. “Then you do a gig here and it pisses down with rain.” Wolstenholme said the family had moved to Ireland because he needed to be nearer a major airport and they did not want to move to London.

“We were worried about the kids. They started school and within a few days they were settled. They much prefer it here. It is one of those cities where you have all the advantages of living in a city, but you are not overcrowded in a place like London,” he explained.

Before last night’s concert, the band posed for a photograph for a book that will raise money for the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC). The book of photographs by well-known photographer Barry McCall is being organised by Caroline Downey, the wife of MCD promoter Denis Desmond, who runs Oxegen.

Wolstenholme said having children himself made him realise how lucky both he and his family are. “It is all too easy to accept everything we have and you don’t appreciate it. There is a lot of shit going on out there a lot of kids are affected by a lot of awful stuff.

“Bands who live a life of luxury need to make people more aware of it.”

A huge crowd also turned out for the Black Eyed Peas last night, one of the biggest draws of the festival. Other acts who played included Florence and the Machine and Dizzie Rascal.

Conditions got so bad at the festival last night that the organisers allowed fans to go home if they lived in Dublin to have a shower and a sleep in a warm bed. Normally, there is no readmission to the festival.

Rapper Eminem will headline tonight on the main stage.

Thanks for posting. :) Sounds like they pulled out all the stops for the crowd and ended up having a wicked time themselves too. They restricted live recording so it does seem that they feel under too much pressure to loosen up as a rule, but decided that it was particularly important yesterday.

I honestly didn't care about the weather as much as I did for the insane mosh pit.. it was built like a golden circle so after allowing a certain number of people in they should have closed it but instead kept it open and people just kept coming in, it became so unbareable at the barrier, I really don't think ANYONE who's been there since they gigs started actually lasted til the end.

^sorry to hear about that. it's awfull when you are trying to enjoy a gig and also fighting for you life. and when there are drunken fools in the equation...ouch

The band opened up with the popular Plug In Baby , which Howard said was chosen because it was an upbeat number that he hoped would cheer the crowd up.

:happy:

^sorry to hear about that. it's awfull when you are trying to enjoy a gig and also fighting for you life. and when there are drunken fools in the equation...ouch

Fighting for your life is an understatement, seriously haha according to some it was even scarier than Glastonbury! I found myself in the weirdest positions at some points during the day lol and I swear at least for an hour or so my boobs shrank to cup size A.

Chris is awesome for the reasons stated in this article :yesey:

And it sounds like they tried to make it better for the crowd, how lovely :happy:

Chris is Chris,too awesome for words.And it is really nice that they wanted to cheer up the crowd..

Thanks for posting! :)

Awwwwwwww :happy:

And as you already pointed out... Chris is beyond awesome as we all knew :awesome:

Archived