help on bass part hysteria

Ekinox

ok,

so i've almost mastered the hysteria intro on the bass at the right speed, but i have some questions:

- Does Chris use hammer-ons or pull-offs at any point in the intro? or is every single note being plucked?

- Is he using the rest-stroke technique, or the free-stroke one for plucking the strings?

(rest is when your fingers hit the next string, free is when you only touch the strings you're strumming. full explanation in post 6)

- Is he playing the part on the E-string on that string only? because my version uses one string at a time, except the E-string part. That part is on the A-string too.

alternatively (or complementarily) does anyone have some good close up footage of Chris playing hysteria? I could probably solve all my questions if i had such footage..

thanks!

ok,

so i've almost mastered the hysteria intro on the bass at the right speed, but i have some questions:

- Does Chris use hammer-ons or pull-offs at any point in the intro? or is every single note being plucked?

- Is he using the rest-stroke technique, or the free-stroke one for plucking the strings?

- Is he playing the part on the E-string on that string only? because my version uses one string at a time, except the E-string part. That part is on the A-string too.

alternatively (or complementarily) does anyone have some good close up footage of Chris playing hysteria? I could probably solve all my questions if i had such footage..

thanks!

He plays each note, which allows for a constant rhythm with your finger picking (or plectrum usage :p )

No idea

The E-string section is played on both the E and A strings, at least with the tabs I used.

Not really, the best I've seen is Haarp, but it doesn't focus on him for the whole intro.

Hope that helps.

ok,

thanks!

-Every note is played. No legato techniques at all.

-Since he plays fingerstyle, I would say he uses neither.

-That section of the riff, otherwise known as the 2nd bar, is played across both the E and A strings. Keep the hand still, just switching between strings very quickly.

-Since he plays fingerstyle, I would say he uses neither.

thanks, as for rest or freestroke, that is actually about fingerstyle-playing.

-Rest is when after strumming a string, you let your finger hit the next string (so e.g. you play the A-string, and the E-string stops your finger from moving further) this probably the most used technique for bass.

-Free is the opposite, here, your finger goes upwards after strumming, and when playing fast notes, it's a bit as if your fingers are "walking" on the string. It is said that using this technique, it's possible to play faster.

-Rest is when after strumming a string, you let your finger hit the next string (so e.g. you play the A-string, and the E-string stops your finger from moving further) this probably the most used technique for bass.

-Free is the opposite, here, your finger goes upwards after strumming, and when playing fast notes, it's a bit as if your fingers are "walking" on the string. It is said that using this technique, it's possible to play faster.

Oh, well in that case he uses the rest-stroke technique ;)

Ahhhhhh, gotcha. Thought it was a picking technique. Errrrrrm, well, I believe he uses Free-Stroke, in that case, since it's probably a bit too fast for Rest-Stroke.

im going to have to half take us off topic fellas now that the question has been solved..kinda ANYWAYS i thoroufghly enjoy mispelling words and playing bass lines on my lead guitar and currently i play hysteria with alternate picking i believe (up down up down etc). Im wondering if i should play it all down picks? I can manage like 6 before my hand explodes

i noticed mr bellamy plays down picks in wembleyyyy

ok,

(rest is when your fingers hit the next string, free is when you only touch the strings you're strumming. full explanation in post 6)

thanks!

-I don't believe so, no. I don't use any when I play it.

-pretty sure it's free-stroke, it's too fast for rest-stroke. Again, when I play it, I use free-stroke.

-In bars 3 and 4 (which is the part you mean) it is played between the E and A strings.

No, I don't know of any footage of Chris playing it :erm: I'm sure there's footage of people covering it though.

Hope that helps ;)

free stroke?? Rest stroke? I'd bet either of you £100 chris has never heard these terms before. Every time i've seen him play he's hitting the strings so hard it couldn't be anything but "rest stroke" but it doesn't look relaxing!

conskimo - play it with your fingers you massive gayer. And get a bass.

thanks everyone, i guess i have most of the answers i needed ^^

there's only the rest or free issue that isn't totally clear, but i don't think it matters that much,

I myself play it using reststrokes, and i can manage the speed because i'm used to playing restroke. I'll have to check if my fingers don't fatigue quicker this way (cause that would mean i can't make it till the end of the song O_o :D)

EDIT: @cheddatom: That's what i was thinking! :D reststroke does often give more powerfull sound, so it makes more sense to use this technique, also, on most footage, his fongers go in a choppy way, not in a fluid way.

this means that the case is closed!

OR IS IT?..... :p

conskimo - play it with your fingers you massive gayer. And get a bass.

i couldnt agree more and now i actually have a job i plan on buying one, is strumming with fingers hard to adjust to? i sometimes play songs without a pick on my lead but nowhere near the speed of hysteria

be careful playing too hard, you can hurt your fongers quite badly. It's generally easier to play the louder you have your amp - so you don't have to play as hard to make it louder.

Yo, dis ma rap bout fongers

long and ..fonger-ish, ma fongers are fkn ace

i can fonger all sorts of things, girls and my bass

if i didn't have fongers, i would sound like a right monger

egrah;hogaer'j;abdsvm'vr

[smashing head against keyboard]

better stay on topic now :awesome:

im going to have to half take us off topic fellas now that the question has been solved..kinda ANYWAYS i thoroufghly enjoy mispelling words and playing bass lines on my lead guitar and currently i play hysteria with alternate picking i believe (up down up down etc). Im wondering if i should play it all down picks? I can manage like 6 before my hand explodes

i noticed mr bellamy plays down picks in wembleyyyy

oh wait.

ok, well just because bellamy does that doesn't mean it's the correct way to do it. i've always alternate picked that.

i couldnt agree more and now i actually have a job i plan on buying one, is strumming with fingers hard to adjust to? i sometimes play songs without a pick on my lead but nowhere near the speed of hysteria

Fingering and strumming are two different techniques. You can string with a pick, or you can strum by holding your thumb and first finger together to form a pick (or use your whole hand like funy me). The proper word for fingering is "plucking" wuich should give you an idea of what we're on about here.

One thing you can do is tap with your fingers on a table. I did it with 3 fingers going circularly like 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 etc. Tap that on a table like you're playing the piano or something. Once it sounds like dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd you're a fucking cool guy.

Yo, dis ma rap bout fongers

long and ..fonger-ish, ma fongers are fkn ace

i can fonger all sorts of things, girls and my bass

if i didn't have fongers, i would sound like a right monger

Hmmm, needs moar lines.

I get the grunt in my tone 'cos I know how to dig in

When you hear my growl you'll think it's amazing

But for toanz like this you're hand has gotta be stronger

'cos everyone knows the toan is in the fongers

well, like said, if you play for too long using your fongers, *uhm* fingers, sorry bout that, you'll probably get blisters. Once the skin on your fingertips is a bit thicker, you should be able to play for longer. Do pay attention to the position of your fingers, the force should be generated by moving your third knuckle (does that make sense? well, the whole finger should move) NOT just the two upper parts of your fingers. This allows for a better sound ^^

Archived