The Dead Weather has a song in Twilight and I don't see them making a cheesy pop ballad.

The Dead Weather couldn't pull off a lulzy cheese song anyways, so I'm glad they didnt.

I dont think this is the end of the world.

That's because it isnt. :rolleyes:

The truth is that it's impossible to like ALL the songs, even of your favourite band, right?

So, you either like the NSC right away or not - simple as that.

There's really no need to turn your back on Muse just because you don't like one song!!!

Come on, get a grip people!:stunned:

How can you expect the music to be the same all the time? It's imposible as Muse changes and so their music changes too.

And also, there it nothing wrong in writing a love song just to get over someone, it's a very goo therapy, really.

And I don't think there is something wrong with the NSC's lyrics - it's a bit exaggerated, I agree, but it's totally understandable when you know why it was written. If you think that it's cheesy..., well, you probably never loved someone so much to understand that.:p

BTW, I love The Resistance, so as Showbiz, Absolution, Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes and Revelations just because THEY ARE so different.

Theres no denying that I miss the Muse that smashed everything up and made some pretty aweful noises of pure genius, but people change, and Muse are different now. Muse cant be 25 forever, and they have every right to change their style.

Ok, I prefer the more deep, innovative stuff like Citizen Erased, Exogenesis etc, but NSC takes the biscuit. Anyone who doesn't laugh and sing along is a spoil sport and clearly needs to lightly up. No one said it was going to be album material, and I love NSC, its fantastic, and anyone that doesnt see the fun side of it doesnt know Muse well enough.

Well, Its the lead single, at the end of a trilogy that (I think) talks about love a lot. The song isnt great, but it isnt Guiding Light either. The Dead Weather are great but its a totally different thing cus theyve never written cheesy pop tunes. Muse have written many cheesy pop ballads, the best of which is Bliss (imo).

I dont think this is the end of the world.

Bliss is musically brilliant and the lyrics are nowhere near as bad as this one.

I just realized, if this would have been a b-side for let's say Resistance, would anyone have cared this much? Most certainly not.

Muse had an idea for a song, and they chose to record it when Eclipse wanted a song. I don't like the direction Muse are heading, but I wouldn't say that this song is anything to go by. Seeing this song as a Muse single like for example Dead Star and In Your World is pretty off.

Guest hysteriaaah
You need to read the article in Q magazine (100 Best Front Men). Matt talks about the fact that he doesn't write songs based on personal experiences. Well now that he has the poor guy is getting smashed to bits!! I like the song more now that I know it was based on his life and not Bella and Sparkles!!:matt:

He's going to fire back at us with a song about roaming satellites from a far away nebula now isn't he?:chuckle:

Bliss is musically brilliant and the lyrics are nowhere near as bad as this one.

I think NSC is pretty cool musically. cant complain with that side of things. The lyrics are pretty dire, like I said, its not a great song. I just dont get the uproar. People expected it to be bad, turns out its got some pretty decent music. Is that a bonus?

As for mentioning Bliss, I was just saying that Muse have always done cheesy pop songs, and Bliss is one of their best tunes at all (again imo).

I just realized, if this would have been a b-side for let's say Resistance, would anyone have cared this much? Most certainly not.

Muse had an idea for a song, and they chose to record it when Eclipse wanted a song. I don't like the direction Muse are heading, but I wouldn't say that this song is anything to go by. Seeing this song as a Muse single like for example Dead Star and In Your World is pretty off.

Matt had the idea for the song after breaking up with his girlfriend, he only contributed the track to Twilight when the movie people asked him to. He decided to do it anyways, since he felt he should do it now while it still made a difference instead of waiting for their next album where the relevance of the song would be gone.

T

How can you expect the music to be the same all the time?

I expect the music to be good at all the time! There are many new releases this week I should be off to buy The Eighties Matchbox new album.

I expect the music to be good at all the time! There are many new releases this week I should be off to buy The Eighties Matchbox new album.

Agreed, but different also doesn't mean bad, does it ?

And The Eighties Matchbox is pretty cool indeed :)

Matt had the idea for the song after breaking up with his girlfriend, he only contributed the track to Twilight when the movie people asked him to. He decided to do it anyways, since he felt he should do it now while it still made a difference instead of waiting for their next album where the relevance of the song would be gone.

Thats the point and thats what I heard from Matt. It wasn't meant for Eclipse. That shitty film. Now mix up with Muse, they totally screwed. Why must the author love Muse? If not for that film, Muse will be as per normal band as they should be now. Haix, wish it wouldnt happen.

I think NSC is pretty cool musically. cant complain with that side of things. The lyrics are pretty dire, like I said, its not a great song. I just dont get the uproar. People expected it to be bad, turns out its got some pretty decent music. Is that a bonus?

As for mentioning Bliss, I was just saying that Muse have always done cheesy pop songs, and Bliss is one of their best tunes at all (again imo).

Right, this is my view on this.

Bliss is a song set around a specific style of how they wanted the song to sound, it's bassline driven, with a repetitive synth, a good riff and the whole song feels complete within itself and is easy to listen to. Sure the lyrics are also a bit on the cheesy side but they suit the song and aren't the main focus of it. The whole song seems coherent as a piece of music.

NSC sounds like Muse trying to bunch a whole load of styles they're renowned for into a 4 minute song (bit like The Resistance does into 11 tracks) and the lyrics are so overpowering over the rest of the song it's hard to even follow the music (which is all over the place in itself).

Thats the point and thats what I heard from Matt. It wasn't meant for Eclipse. That shitty film. Now mix up with Muse, they totally screwed. Why must the author love Muse? If not for that film, Muse will be as per normal band as they should be now. Haix, wish it wouldnt happen.

I don't think that because this song has been contributed to Eclipse that they arent a "normal band" anymore. It'll give them a small boost of fans in America, who will quickly move onto something else because American's have the attention span of a roasted peanut.

It's not that bad, I promise.

I didn't like the lack of b-sides since 2006

Maybe cause, you know, they didn't have many?

During the Showbiz and OoS era it was absolutely understandable that they had a heapload of material to put out since they were a new band and dated back since high school days with stuff they'd happily throw out, but they're rounding themselves out alot lately.

As for the whole lyrics debate, they're decent. Not outright horrible if you ask me, I don't see where people get that idea. They work well and they perform well. And as for the cheese, you could take out the lyrics of the song and write lines talking about how anal scat rape is the best rape there is but it'd still be cheese. It lies less in the lyrics and more in the performance and melody. But I've never seen where the fault in that is unless someone finds it in their mind that a happy love song automatically sucks donkey dick.

That's just my opinion though.

Yes?

"Muse had an idea for a song, and they chose to record it when Eclipse wanted a song", that's basically what you just said.

Guest hysteriaaah

No, as much as i hate twilight too, Muse would've still gone in this direction despite it. The Resistance would not have sounded any different. And also as much as i hate stephanie meyer for writing such shite literature, shes a muse fan too(prob a lot longer than most of us) and its not her fault she was inspired. Wouldn't we all? :LOL: (well, maybe we'd write some better material...)

Yes?

"Muse had an idea for a song, and they chose to record it when Eclipse wanted a song", that's basically what you just said.

:indiff:

You made it sound like Matt recorded the song specifically for Eclipse when they asked for one. This song had already been written just as a stand alone single, or for a single off the next album. The Theme is completely different to whatever Eclipse is.

I prefer this to Starlight, the studio version chorus leaves me cold.

Much better than the other cheesy songs :happy:

I think it's a bit of a laugh, the music, bit KoCish even if it comes from a dark time in Matt's life. 8 months? I thought it was much more recent...

Guest hysteriaaah

I reckon if the twilight people hadn't asked for the song to be recorded, matt would've just filed it away for the next album and then over time, realized it wasn't that good or doesn't fit in with their new style or whatever and bin it.

If they didn't put it on a new album, they might've released it as a b-side and then maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal because at least its better than popcorn:p

Right, this is my view on this.

Bliss is a song set around a specific style of how they wanted the song to sound, it's bassline driven, with a repetitive synth, a good riff and the whole song feels complete within itself and is easy to listen to. Sure the lyrics are also a bit on the cheesy side but they suit the song and aren't the main focus of it. The whole song seems coherent as a piece of music.

NSC sounds like Muse trying to bunch a whole load of styles they're renowned for into a 4 minute song (bit like The Resistance does into 11 tracks) and the lyrics are so overpowering over the rest of the song it's hard to even follow the music (which is all over the place in itself).

I see where your coming from but seeing as the song has been chosen because its gonna make headway in the US I can see why it was done aswell. I disagree that Resistance did the same in 11 tracks. Uprising, Undisclosed Desires, USofE, I Belong to You and Exogenesis where all pretty fresh (Queen aside). Unnatural Selection seemed to do what you're describing. But thats not what we're discussing.

I wasnt trying to say NSC is as good as Bliss (nowhere near). Just that calling it, or anything that Muse have ever done, cheesy is abit redundant. Its like saying you dont like Coldplays new song cus theres piano in it. (bad example, whatever)

If you dont like NSC, or even Resistance, the one thing you can probably count on is that Muse will be a completely different animal when they come back for album 6. And alot of people will hate that, like they do now.

I see where your coming from but seeing as the song has been chosen because its gonna make headway in the US I can see why it was done aswell. I disagree that Resistance did the same in 11 tracks. Uprising, Undisclosed Desires, USofE, I Belong to You and Exogenesis where all pretty fresh (Queen aside). Unnatural Selection seemed to do what you're describing. But thats not what we're discussing.

I wasnt trying to say NSC is as good as Bliss (nowhere near). Just that calling it, or anything that Muse have ever done, cheesy is abit redundant. Its like saying you dont like Coldplays new song cus theres piano in it. (bad example, whatever)

If you dont like NSC, or even Resistance, the one thing you can probably count on is that Muse will be a completely different animal when they come back for album 6. And alot of people will hate that, like they do now.

What I meant was that The Resistance as an album is all over the place in terms of musical style, much in the way that NSC is in one song.

No, as much as i hate twilight too, Muse would've still gone in this direction despite it. The Resistance would not have sounded any different. And also as much as i hate stephanie meyer for writing such shite literature, shes a muse fan too(prob a lot longer than most of us) and its not her fault she was inspired. Wouldn't we all? :LOL: (well, maybe we'd write some better material...)

Well, The Resistance is quite a good album. But its up to people opinion whether they like it or not. Well, they are now playing more classical with piano in the song. This song would suit the album even though the song has been composed months ago. I hated Twilight thats for sure but I can't blame Stephanie Meyer for putting Muse song onto her film. Thats her favourite band. But what I really hate is a film that got vampires inside which I'm rather disgusted. I'm like come on. This film is bullshit. But oh well. Its already happening. Can't change anything.

Archived